Thoughts on McDonalds parties

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#51 Chchgirl

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:15 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 14 August 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

Just had a 6 year old party and all the parents stayed.
My worry with McDs is where do the parents hang out? Especially if like my local stores, the weekends get manaic and getting tables is hard and the party room a bit cramped. Do you just stand in the party room? McDs parties are probably better for older drop and go kids. I ended up with  14 parents at the play centre place sitting around a table drinking coffees for only 11 kids, as some people brought the entire family to hang out as well!

I can't remember now, I had a habit of avoiding other parents like the plague!

I didn't stick around for many parties but I think for my kids most did a drip and run (my dream) or found sonewhere to sit

#52 EsmeLennox

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:17 AM

View PostLucyGoose, on 13 August 2019 - 10:48 PM, said:

I do know a few families that are strict on no McDonald’s!  I’m sure the kids eat hot chips and nuggets at other parties, but I wonder if you might get a few declines.
My kids eat Maccas and would love it,  not sure they do the parties at our local.  $10 a head is such a good price and I would go for it.

I’d consider a few declines a win!

My kids loved going to Maccas parties at that age because it was a treat. I’d do it.

#53 Jenflea

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

We sat on a table next to the party room so we could see in and deal with stuff if needed, but not be IN the room.

And I think it's a bit sad that parents would decline the invitation just because it's McDonalds.
Why deny your child the chance to celebrate their friend's birthday? What is that teaching them?
"Oh I'll go, but only if the venue is acceptable to me?" Pretty rude if you ask me.

Party food isn't of high nutritional value, but what's wrong with junk food every so often?

Once they get to school it's cupcakes at school for birthdays anyway. DD is in a class of 50 this year, she's had a LOT of cupcakes already. One child brought in cake AND lollies!

A burger or few chips isn't going to turn your child into a malnourished child with rickets.

#54 cstar

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:41 AM

View PostHolidayromp, on 14 August 2019 - 06:53 AM, said:

Team hell no.  It’s just so impersonal.  Maccas parties no way. There is a reason why they are so cheap compared to other places.

How is it impersonal because it's at Maccas?? The hosts will greet their guests just like at any other party, feed them, offer the parents coffee (have done at any party at any venue we have ever been to), kids will play have a great time and leave, hosts will say goodbye to their guests and thank them for coming. How is that impersonal?

I say go for it, who cares what others think, people will always have an opinion, do what is best for your dd and your family.

#55 PizzaPlease

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

I think when people complain about that sort of stuff it's often because they imagine that there is some other cheap and easy option available. We live in a small place too, having a birthday party at our home really isn't possible and because of where my kids birthdays fall in the year, parks and picnics are really difficult. I think McDonalds sounds like a really good compromise in terms of practicality and expense and I think the kids will love it, we would definitely attend a Maccas party. Honestly, anywhere I can get a coffee is a good choice of venue in my book.

Edited by PizzaPlease, 14 August 2019 - 10:52 AM.

#56 Sweet.Pea

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

To those that say it's cheap - it's cheap because parties aren't the main focus. It's just an add on. They probably make a bit from the party guests parents buying coffees/meals etc as well.

Places like play centres rely on parties to operate. During the week they might have a dozen kids but at $5 a head plus a few drinks or meals, they aren't really bringing in a large amount of revenue if you factor in rent, rates, power, wages etc. So they do rely on the 3 or 4 $500 plus parties.

#57 AllyK81

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

Definitely not my jam. My kids have never been to McDonalds. Not just because it is junk food but because the whole experience isn't particularly pleasant and I don't like the food anyway.

If they were invited to a Maccas party I'd let them go I suppose and they would have fun.

Interestingly DS is FYOS and has been to heaps of parties this year and no Maccas.

#58 kimasa

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:14 PM

View PostSweet.Pea, on 14 August 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

Places like play centres rely on parties to operate. During the week they might have a dozen kids but at $5 a head plus a few drinks or meals, they aren't really bringing in a large amount of revenue if you factor in rent, rates, power, wages etc. So they do rely on the 3 or 4 $500 plus parties.

Where are these $5 play centres with only a dozen kids in them?!

#59 molinero

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

I was raised by hippie parents who never stepped foot inside maccas, except to take me to the handful of maccas parties I attended as a kid.

Their own personal judgement of maccas was what it was at home, but at the end of the day, they understood outright banning wasn't feasible, and that kids just want to go to their friend's party and have fun.

Why do kid's parties have to be so polarising? It's just a party FFS.

Is the average adult party that much healthier, once you factor in standard rates of alcohol consumption?

#60 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

Ive got no issues with them. DS has been to a few & the kids generally run around like nutcases in the pay equipment & barely eat anything.

As PP have said, the kids get to order from the happy meal menu, so if you want a healthy meal order your child the grilled chicken wrap (no sauce), apple slices & water.

We are genuinely considering one of these for DS's 6th birthday party next year.

#61 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM

My kids (10, 5 and 3) have been to so many parties over the years, but they’ve never been invited to a Macca’s party. Reading this thread is making me feel like we may be in the minority?

I wouldn’t decline a Macca’s party invite, but none of my kids actually like the food (aside from the chips). That wouldn’t be an issue for them though, they would just love to play with their friends.

#62 RPM

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:24 PM

I'm another one who says go for it!!

My kids probably have McDonalds three or four times a year and would love it.

Along with most of the previous posters, I don't understand the McDonalds angst.  The food is fine and I concur that it is much better than the food at the playcentre parties we have been to.

#63 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

My DD went to a 5th birthday at a Maccas with a play place and loved it. Theres also usually a cafe there so if you want you could order the adults a drink too or they can get their own.

I hate Maccas food but would never judge anyone for going there.

#64 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

View Postkimasa, on 14 August 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

Where are these $5 play centres with only a dozen kids in them?!

Theres a  couple of smaller ones in our area which are in churches. The kids dont have to pay to use the equipment you just buy food and drinks. But the commercially owned ones are usually $10 or more for a child to have a play around here.

#65 seayork2002

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:10 PM

I know there are kids out there who will eat anything going up to 5star restaurant standards and all their fruit and vegetables

But of all the kids parties I have ever attended from the time I was young myself I have not seen much food eaten at the parties and for the kids to take enough notice for them to put their own food reviews on their blogs about the standard oi the party food,

#66 Ellie bean

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:13 PM

View PostHippyDippyBaloney, on 14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

My kids (10, 5 and 3) have been to so many parties over the years, but they’ve never been invited to a Macca’s party. Reading this thread is making me feel like we may be in the minority?

I wouldn’t decline a Macca’s party invite, but none of my kids actually like the food (aside from the chips). That wouldn’t be an issue for them though, they would just love to play with their friends.
My kids don’t really eat the food at any party, they’re too interested in playing. One of them has a hilarious (very skinny) little friend who sits at every party and just eats as much as she can, her mum finds it embarrassing but I think it’s super cute, other than that most kids barely eat from what I’ve seen

#67 #YKG

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

McDonalds as a sometimes food I would have no issues with a kids party there. For me at least the food will be eaten, kids parties usually have food with very little nutritional value, plus they give you a party supervisor that arranges games and time for kids to play on the equipment so they’ll likely burn off the happy meal they’ll get.

#68 Pink Flamingo

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

I’d let my kid go for sure!

#69 marple

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:37 PM

View Postsandy34, on 14 August 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

We wouldn't attend as we're pretty anti McDonald's but wouldn't bat an eyelid at being invited. It seems like a reasonable party.
Probably wouldn't host one either just because my children's cohort are all pretty crunchy. I imagine we'd get lots of declines.

Oh goodness.

Your children have a crunchy cohort! That is pretty funny.
Are you anti-Apple as well? Netflix? I'm assuming its because it is an American corporation?

#70 flakyfish

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:39 PM

I almost had DDs party at McDonald's this year, but she got very sick the day before her party - I called up to let them know we would have to reschedule, and they had no record of my booking!

Other than that *minor* issue, I would have been very happy to have the party there.

#71 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

View PostAllyK81, on 14 August 2019 - 11:37 AM, said:

Definitely not my jam. My kids have never been to McDonalds. Not just because it is junk food but because the whole experience isn't particularly pleasant and I don't like the food anyway.

If they were invited to a Maccas party I'd let them go I suppose and they would have fun.

Interestingly DS is FYOS and has been to heaps of parties this year and no Maccas.

This is pretty much us. We have no need for McDonalds in our life, so have never been. It hasn't been a conscious decision. DD would probably love the play area, but there aren't any particularly close to us anyway.

I'd let DD go, and I wouldn't judge a parent for organising one.

#72 Mollycoddle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:25 PM

View Postmolinero, on 14 August 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

Is the average adult party that much healthier, once you factor in standard rates of alcohol consumption?

For me it's not about health but the fact that the food really isn't nice. Same as play centre food or any other venue where you can book a kids party. Even the supermarket footy franks and pies and sausage rolls you would do at home taste nicer and are better quality.

#73 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:39 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 14 August 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

For me it's not about health but the fact that the food really isn't nice. Same as play centre food or any other venue where you can book a kids party. Even the supermarket footy franks and pies and sausage rolls you would do at home taste nicer and are better quality.

I wouldn't be able to 'just' serve pies and sausage rolls  at home though.  I'd have to go to fairy bread, chocolate crackles, honey joys, vege sticks and dips, fruit platter, as well as the party pies and sausage rolls and sauce, and, and, and........

And suddenly I've spent twice as much as I would have on a Maccas party, I've been preparing food no-one will eat for two or three evenings beforehand.  And I have to tidy a house, organise games or some way to entertain the kids (and maybe the parents that choose to stay), and then clean up when everyone has gone.

Give me a play centre or Maccas any time.

#74 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

Probably wouldn't host one either just because my children's cohort are all pretty crunchy.

Excuse my age or lack of coolness, but what does 'crunchy' even mean?  I've only just got my head around 'salty'.

#75 Riotproof

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:44 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 14 August 2019 - 05:40 PM, said:

Excuse my age or lack of coolness, but what does 'crunchy' even mean?  I've only just got my head around 'salty'.

Think evangelical hippie.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.