Thoughts on McDonalds parties

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#76 Jingleflea

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

Maybe I'm a terrible bogan with no taste, but I actually quite like a cheese burger, and their chips if they're hot. Oh and I LOVE a frozen coke and an apple pie.

I'd rather have it than a frozen party pie frankly.

#77 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:56 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 14 August 2019 - 05:40 PM, said:

Excuse my age or lack of coolness, but what does 'crunchy' even mean?  I've only just got my head around 'salty'.

Uptight pretension w*n*er... who bang on about how sugar is the devil and their kids only eat organic food, handpicked by monks kind of thing!!

View PostJenflea, on 14 August 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

Maybe I'm a terrible bogan with no taste, but I actually quite like a cheese burger, and their chips if they're hot. Oh and I LOVE a frozen coke and an apple pie.

I am right there with you...

My preference is McChicken with bacon though.

Edited by ~J_WTF~, 14 August 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#78 Mollyksy

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:06 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 14 August 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

I wouldn't be able to 'just' serve pies and sausage rolls  at home though.  I'd have to go to fairy bread, chocolate crackles, honey joys, vege sticks and dips, fruit platter, as well as the party pies and sausage rolls and sauce, and, and, and........

And suddenly I've spent twice as much as I would have on a Maccas party, I've been preparing food no-one will eat for two or three evenings beforehand.  And I have to tidy a house, organise games or some way to entertain the kids (and maybe the parents that choose to stay), and then clean up when everyone has gone.

Give me a play centre or Maccas any time.

So much this! And where was this thread 2 months ago when I said yes to DS having a party at home instead of a play centre like the lady few years?! Cost a fortune, such a hassle, and I even managed to miss the day itself by being admitted to hospital!

#79 jgirl7

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

I've never had a Maccas party for my children, but they went to quite a few over the years, and loved them. The parties are well run, cost effective, over within a fairly short period, fun for the guests and there are healthier options on the kids menu.
I'm not sure why anyone would decline based on the venue....it's secure, contained, well-supervised, and pretty much guaranteed no food poisoning.
That's why I always stick to McDonalds when doing a road trip, I've had some pretty dodgy meals at roadhouses, but I know Maccas food is at least safely prepared and cooked.

#80 eliza_non

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

I have no judgement on the food side of Macca's parties (I may have already been through drive thru today). But my kids have only been to one party there and it was fairly underwhelming. Cramped, most of the time spent taking the kid's orders, played in the playground and then the host played a game of throw the straws on the ground and see who collects the most. Winners got some old leftover Happy Meal toys. Maybe other stores do it better than our local.

That said, the kids seemed to have a good time and it was quick and easy for all involved so I wouldn't be bothered if they were invited to another one there.

#81 TrixieBelden

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:36 PM

I’ve been a self-righteous vegetarian for 25 years. These new fangled ‘crusties’ have a long long way to go before they catch up with me.

There was a thread on this in which a poster said her family ‘did not consider maccas to be food’ and I laughed and laughed and laughed.

My kid would happily attend. $10 is a great price.

#82 born.a.girl

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:40 PM

I eat McDonalds once every two years, then regret it, but you wouldn't catch me buying cheap party pies, much less revolting frankfurts.   I can eat some pretty crap food, but those things are actually inedible, to my taste, which is a long way from sophisticated.

#83 molinero

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

Yep this thread made me hungry and I had actually just ate a cheeseburger :ph34r:

#84 marple

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

Cheeseburger mmmmmm

#85 kimasa

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:39 PM

I can demolish so many Maccas fries.

#86 amdirel

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:42 PM

Sausage and egg mcmuffin and a hash brown for me thanks. My favourite.

#87 kimasa

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

But to be this person, once you have your ability to eat many common foods taken away from you and you realise how socially isolating that is, you develop zero tolerance for people up on their high horses declining social events because they don't want their kids to eat freaking chips. Man, get some real problems.

This paragraph has been brought to you by possibly one too many glasses of wine and not enough food because I can't eat most of the sh*t currently in my house. Wish I had some ****ing fries.

#88 Jingleflea

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:01 PM

I'm also going to own up to getting together with my school mum friends every few weeks on a Friday after school at McDonald's.

They go every week, I go every few weeks.
The kids play, we have a snack, we go home.
It's pretty much across the road from the school and lets us mums have coffee while we talk, instead of sitting in the cold wind coffee-less while the kids play after school.
The playground is suitable for the kids who range in age from 4 to 9, the drinks are cheap.
Everything in moderation.

#89 Holly298

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:51 PM

We are Italian/Lebanese so our parties are full of lasagnas and falafels because that’s just what we had growing up! I haven’t been to McDonald’s in over 30 years, DS has never purely as we just don’t like that kind of food (sure we have burgers from burger shops occasionally but the McDonald’s food just looks so bland and plastic !) i would absolutely let him go but most of our kids and their friends have home parties and I’ve never known anyone to have a McDonald’s party

#90 mm1981

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:15 AM

View Postsandy34, on 14 August 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

We wouldn't attend as we're pretty anti McDonald's but wouldn't bat an eyelid at being invited. It seems like a reasonable party.
Probably wouldn't host one either just because my children's cohort are all pretty crunchy. I imagine we'd get lots of declines.

Geez.  Your cohort sounds like a barrel of fun.

It makes me a little sad that people would decline to celebrate with a kid solely because the venue was not up to their standards.

A dear friend of mine recently held her 6 year olds birthday party at Maccas, mainly because she could not afford anything else.  I am glad that our 'cohort' are not a bunch of privaliged snobs....

#91 nom_de_plume

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

We are by no means pretentious, anti-sugar parents but we generally don’t eat takeaway. My kids have never been to a McDonalds outside of a party, and haven’t been to Burger King, KFC etc. Even though we don’t eat it, I have never stopped them attending a birthday party at any of those venues. Celebrating with friends is more important than the venue!

If we want junk food at home we make a pizza or oven baked fish and chips, which tastes a million times better than anything store bought. The kids know they get junk food at parties, dessert at Nonna’s, and an ice cream when we go out, so they’re not deprived.

#92 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:52 AM

During a seven-day period, I provide my son with 35 meals (breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner). If one of those meals happens to be McDonald's, it's fine. It's actually fine, and the crunchy b**ches can kindly unbunch their undies.

Here's a handy flow-chart I developed for anyone who is confused about whether a certain food is safe for their child:

Is it crack cocaine?
Yes -> don't give it to your child
No -> give it to your child

This vegan would be thrilled to send her son to a Macca's party. :D

#93 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

View Postsarahec, on 13 August 2019 - 10:29 PM, said:

They are cheap, the kids have a ball, no cleanup, and 90 minutes in length, what’s not to love!?
Exactly
We held them, been to them, hungry jacks too and God damn it's so much easier, cheaper and the kids have a ball

View Post~J_WTF~, on 14 August 2019 - 07:13 AM, said:

Anyone who declines an invite based purely on maccas party, probably isn’t worth the time anyway.
Yep, a maccas party an easy way to weed out the snobs and crunchy types who will only judge

Now I want a cheeseburger and hash brown

View PostJenflea, on 14 August 2019 - 10:01 PM, said:

I'm also going to own up to getting together with my school mum friends every few weeks on a Friday after school at McDonald's.

We get maccas at least weekly.  It's a fast easy meal when we out and about that we all will eat.

#94 Holidayromp

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:49 AM

The reason why I don’t like  Maccas parties is that you are at the mercy of how busy that particular Maccas is, how big the party is, how many parents stay and how big the party room is.

The kids are competing for the play equipment and if there isn’t enough seating in the party room then finding seating in the actual restaurant can be difficult in peak times.

Not all Maccas have play equipment.

I have been to a couple at different Maccas and was largely unimpressed. At one had no party or play room and they just booked a few tables and apart from the food party there was nothing much else for the kids to do.

Why it is impersonal as it’s just a side part of a restaurant to generate income.  After that whether or not the party is successful or not is on the onsite facilities and how much the party coordinator is prepared to do.

I might be missing all the venues that are well set up to cope with a party but still quite unimpressed.

There is only one maybe two (at a stretch) of my kids that would be the right age and if they were to receive an invite I wouldn’t decline it because Maccas but I wouldn’t host a party there.

#95 Riotproof

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:52 AM

So all those play centres are a charity? Of course they are doing it to raise revenue. You are always at the mercy of the public showing up unless it’s a private venue. Not everyone has access to a private venue that is suitable.  Not everyone wants to go to the personal effort of cooking, setting up a play area,sorting their house out for a horde of children to destroy it.

What else would be the point?
Obviously McDonald’s facilities vary by location. Some are set up better for parties and others are not.

Edited by Riotproof, 15 August 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#96 Chchgirl

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 15 August 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

Exactly
We held them, been to them, hungry jacks too and God damn it's so much easier, cheaper and the kids have a ball

Yep, a maccas party an easy way to weed out the snobs and crunchy types who will only judge

Now I want a cheeseburger and hash brown

We get maccas at least weekly.  It's a fast easy meal when we out and about that we all will eat.

Yum, I had a big mac on Sunday and a cheeseburger the other day.

Love it.

#97 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

OK - I'm judgy on all those who eat McDonalds cheese!!!  

It is revolting!  I'll happily go their other burgers, and a request for 'no cheese' generally means it's cooked fresh for you.

I do think though, that the 'burgers are better at ........" Just saying.  

And I am ever grateful that I live in a 'crunchy free' bubble.  Thanks for explaining the term.

#98 Chchgirl

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 15 August 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

OK - I'm judgy on all those who eat McDonalds cheese!!!  

It is revolting!  I'll happily go their other burgers, and a request for 'no cheese' generally means it's cooked fresh for you.

I do think though, that the 'burgers are better at ........" Just saying.  

And I am ever grateful that I live in a 'crunchy free' bubble.  Thanks for explaining the term.

I'm a cheese whore. I'll eat any cheese,  except blue vein!

#99 marple

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

View Postnom_de_plume, on 15 August 2019 - 06:58 AM, said:

If we want junk food at home we make a pizza or oven baked fish and chips, which tastes a million times better than anything store bought.

Dang. That's my go to cant be bothered but trying to be vaguely healthy Sunday night dinner! Didn't think they were junk! I do cook every other night.

Edited by marple, 16 August 2019 - 07:38 AM.

#100 JinksNewton

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

View Postnom_de_plume, on 15 August 2019 - 06:58 AM, said:

If we want junk food at home we make a pizza or oven baked fish and chips, which tastes a million times better than anything store bought.
As someone who has a wood oven pizza place and a really good fish and chip shop (with proper charcoal chicken!) near us, I call bullsh*t on this. I eat oven baked all the time but it doesn't compare with a chippie that knows what it's doing.
But better than the chain places, yeah probably.

Haven't done a Macca's party ourselves, but have been to a few. They're fine :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.