*Spinoff* how much does your cleaner do?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 excellent

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

Spinoff from the other thread about cleaners.

All I know about cleaners is jokes about having to tidy up so the cleaners are able to vaccum/dust surfaces etc properly. Seems counterproductive to me.

Do some cleaners do the tidy up as well as cleaning? Do they put away clothes/pick up stray cups and plates?

What does your cleaner do?

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:52 PM

well at the moment she is on the couch on her ipad, reading EB!

my cleaner is me...well, all of us, really,  who live here - at the moment. we had one a while back but he moved areas and i never got around to getting another one. tbh i did find the “tidying up” before he arrived a hassle - but it was nice coming home to clean floors and clean bathrooms. he also changed all our sheets - which was bliss. i’m tempted to hire another so i will be interested in replies.

#3 MakesMeHappy

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

I don’t have a cleaner anymore but I did have one for years. She would happily tidy up, pick things up, put them away, wash dishes ect BUT I didn’t want her to waste her time in those jobs. We had her for 2 hours a week and I wanted the floors and bathrooms done and all surfaces wiped. If she spent time tidying then she wouldn’t have been able to finish the other jobs.

In general we are ‘tidy’ people so didn’t really have to clean before the cleaner

#4 molinero

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:04 PM

My DH is an extremely messy person, so having the deadline of "cleaner coming tomorrow" is actually a great way to kick him up the bum once a fortnight and actually tidy his crap up without getting into an argument about it.

Yes we tidy before cleaner comes. She vaccumes, mops, dusts, cleans bathroom, kitchen and the place looks amazing after she's gone.

She doesn't do dishes and we do all our own laundry and bed/bath linen changeover.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:04 PM

I used to clean years ago, weirdly in houses that looked perfect as I arrived.

No tidying was ever needed

I am way too unorganised to get a cleaner and as much the idea sounds good in theory I am best at whinging at what little I do (small place)

On here people say their cleaner tidies and puts away but no way am I paying for that!

Oh and if we have to tidy before the cleaner arrives that IMO defeats the purpose, we just clean around when we feel like it

Edited by seayork2002, 14 August 2019 - 02:08 PM.

#6 qak

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

All of this:

View PostMakesMeHappy, on 14 August 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

I didn’t want her to waste her time in those jobs. We had her for 2 hours a week and I wanted the floors and bathrooms done and all surfaces wiped. If she spent time tidying then she wouldn’t have been able to finish the other jobs.

Unfortunately, not this:

View PostMakesMeHappy, on 14 August 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

In general we are ‘tidy’ people so didn’t really have to clean before the cleaner

#7 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

I get someone just a few times a year to clean the windows. It sounds like it wouldn’t take long but we have floor to ceiling glass doors all the way round so it takes about two hours!

Then they can normally clean the bathroom or kitchen or mop floors. I’m cleaning same time and they are flat out cleaning same time. You can get quite a lot done though with you both working same time.

Not being around to let them in is probably what stops me getting a fortnightly cleaner. Leaving work or making sure someone can let them in. That’s what seems like too much hassle for me more than tidying up first.

#8 Gonzy

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:24 PM

My cleaner vacuums the entire house, mops 3/4 of it (floorboards in living areas, tiles in wet areas).  She cleans all the bench surfaces in the kitchen - so a large island bench and then all the surfaces around the appliances/sink etc.  She cleans the kitchen sink to the point I never want to use it because it is sparkling clean.  She cleans the bath, the shower, the toilet, the basin, the mirror.  She dusts the surfaces in the lounge room and on alternate cleans she will clean the double sliding doors that lead from our dining room to our deck - and that our two boxers and toddler love to leave matching paw/handprints on either side.

My cleaner has not changed her price in 11 years.  That said, we are about to start an extension to add an extra bedroom, WIR and en-suite and I am interested to see what the price rises by when this is finalised.

Before she comes I will make sure there is nothing on the floor where she vacuums and likewise I'll make sure the kitchen benches are clean for her to wipe.  Otherwise that is about it.

The day she comes I pretty much want my family to move out because by the next day you'd barely know she came :cry:

DH appears to have higher standards than I do and occasionally he has been a bit critical of her clean whereas I am just so delighted to get home to the smell of bleach :closedeyes:

Edited by Gonzy, 14 August 2019 - 02:26 PM.

#9 TinyGiraffe

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:24 PM

Our's will tidy up toys, change sheets, wash dishes, do ironing etc if any of it needs doing plus all the regular household cleaning in her time here based on the priority I want things done. Generally I try to have tge house tidy so she can focus on actually cleaning but if has been a busy day then she often will tidy the house as she goes or does some ironing if she has spare time at the end.

#10 Crooked Frame

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

Ours doesn't do tidying, dishes, laundry, sheets or beds. That's fine by me.

She cleans our house for 3 hours every fortnight. She dusts, vacuums (bedrooms), mops (living areas, kitchen, bathrooms and laundry), wipes tables and kitchen, cleans the toilets, showers and baths.

I'm always stressed on the morning she comes making sure everything is off the floor and surfaces to make the most of her cleaning time, but as a PP said, it's good to have a forced deadline to tidy up (for me, DW and DS). And I love coming home to a clean house.

#11 No girls here

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

We have a cleaner once a fortnight and pay for jobs rather than a time limit. Ours vacuums and mops the floors and cleans the bathrooms. They wipe down the kitchen bench too but that wasn't actually part of the deal.

We have to tidy up for the cleaner and I like that it forces us to tidy up once a fortnight.

#12 steppy

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

Last time I had a cleaner it was a bit of a schmozzle. She did a pretty lack lustre job and  one day I finally mentioned that the bathtub hadn't been done in weeks. She acted like I'd called her a liar. I hadn't, but I think our understanding of 'cleaning the bathtub' was different. She didn't come back for a couple of weeks.

Then it was Christmas. I bought a big box of good quality chocolates for her and she did actually turn up. She whizzed about the place and left early and never came back again. Afterwards I realised she'd expected some kind of financial bonus for xmas and that I was a very disappointing client.

All in all, we only had her for about 7 weeks and she only worked for about 4 of those.

I never bothered chasing her up. I clean a lot better myself.

Edited by steppy, 14 August 2019 - 02:51 PM.

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:02 PM

View Postexcellent, on 14 August 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

All I know about cleaners is jokes about having to tidy up so the cleaners are able to vaccum/dust surfaces etc properly. Seems counterproductive to me.

Do some cleaners do the tidy up as well as cleaning? Do they put away clothes/pick up stray cups and plates?

Genuine question: why is it counter-productive?

Like many people I have bulging discs in my back which make vacuuming really hard on it, despite being fairly fit.

I also need a shoulder reconstruction so using my dominant right arm for more than a few minutes really hurts the shoulder joint.

Our cleaner is here 1.5 hours once a month.  In order to make maximum use of that, we make sure there's not heaps of stuff lying around.

I also go around and dust stuff - get dust out from under and behind furniture, windowsills etc.

Basically I'm doing most of it myself.   What I'm not doing, is the vacuuming and mopping (all hard floors, spot clean and dustbuster in between apart from kitchen floor); bathrooms, large 4 x door glass area along our back wall both sides.

If we got him to do everything it would take much longer, and need to be done more often.

Why is how we do it counter-productive, just because we have to do some of it?

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:08 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 14 August 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

I used to clean years ago, weirdly in houses that looked perfect as I arrived.

No tidying was ever needed

I am way too unorganised to get a cleaner and as much the idea sounds good in theory I am best at whinging at what little I do (small place)

On here people say their cleaner tidies and puts away but no way am I paying for that!

Oh and if we have to tidy before the cleaner arrives that IMO defeats the purpose, we just clean around when we feel like it

No it doesn't.  I haven't vacuumed in many years, and the only floor I mop regularly is the kitchen floor.

Doesn't defeat the purpose at all for me, because they are the things that are hardest on my back and shoulder.  Tidying and dusting ain't.

Plus, and to be perfectly honest, it would be the tidying that didn't get done if we were doing the cleaning ourselves. Stuff would just get shoved from pillar to post while each bit got done.

#15 gracie1978

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:13 PM

All dusting, full clean of bathroom and kitchen exc inside of oven and rangehood.
Full clean bathroom
Mop floors and vaccum
Cleans mirrors

Takes rubbish out and makes beds, wish she wouldn't do that but have been unable to get her to stop.

We make sure floor and surfaces and clean.  Plus nothing disgusting in toilet or sink.

#16 seayork2002

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 14 August 2019 - 03:08 PM, said:

No it doesn't.  I haven't vacuumed in many years, and the only floor I mop regularly is the kitchen floor.

Doesn't defeat the purpose at all for me, because they are the things that are hardest on my back and shoulder.  Tidying and dusting ain't.

Plus, and to be perfectly honest, it would be the tidying that didn't get done if we were doing the cleaning ourselves. Stuff would just get shoved from pillar to post while each bit got done.

That is our place, which is why it defeats the purpose for us, not speaking for anyone else!

#17 auntycharlie

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

We have a husband and wife team of cleaners. We always tidy up before they come because I don't pay them to tidy, I pay them to clean and we have a very large house. By tidying, I mean toys put away, that sort of thing.

What do they do?

Clean the kitchen - tiles are literally so sparkly you can see yourself reflected in them
Clean two bathrooms and toilets
Vaccuum/mop all floors
Clean very large laundry (where dogs sleep, so a big job)
Dust bookshelves etc
Clean windows and glass doors (if they have time)

They come every Friday and I would give up a lot of things before I gave up the luxury of having them!

#18 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

My cleaner will do just about anything. I usually make sure the house is tidy before she comes, but sometimes she turns up to an untidy house because DS has not been sleeping or something. She then tidied up as she goes. But she doesn’t know where stuff goes so I spend ages finding stuff in odd spots. She cleans, washes the bed linen and remakes the beds (something I really struggle to do physically), washes clothes, folds clean laundry, and would happily do some food prep if I wanted. If she finishes everything early, she will sweep up outside or tidy my pantry or fridge or any other little job she notices. We put up her pay after a year as we never want her to leave.

#19 Datrys

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

Mine comes once a fortnight, and:

- Mops all hard floors
- Vacuums
- Some dusting
- Cleans toilets/bathroom
- Cleans kitchen (especially scrubbing the stovetop).

Depending on the state of the kitchen he might have a bit of spare time, so sometimes I ask for something else, like cleaning particular windows.

As far as tidying, he generally picks up stuff on the floor to get it out of the way, and dumps it on the nearest available piece of furniture (couch/bed/whatever).  He doesn't put stuff "away" as such.

So yes, we tend to tidy before he comes, just so that he can focus on the big things I don't want to do myself.  And that's helpful to me because it means that I can nag the other two untidy people in my household to put their stuff away because there's a deadline.

#20 dadwasathome

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:59 PM

DP always spends the part of the night and the morning before the cleaner comes frantically cleaning. Admittedly some of it is her having to deal with her floordrobe (funnily enough, the three males in the household are reasonably tidy in that department).

I find it a bit ridiculous.

That said, generally tidy and things off floor/dishes packed or in dishwasher is where I'm at.

#21 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

huh....my dh refers to my, erm, clothes placement as my “floordrobe” too.....i think i need a bigger wardrobe ...

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:27 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 14 August 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

huh....my dh refers to my, erm, clothes placement as my “floordrobe” too.....i think i need a bigger wardrobe ...

I've got one, too.

I have a policy of putting one item away every time I walk into the bedroom for something.

I don't know why I persist with it, it doesn't work.

#23 Inkogneatoh

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

One of the harder phone calls after Mum died was to cancel the cleaner (and gardener, same company through the NDIS).

I tidied before she came, as we had her only for an hour a fortnight. Like others, there is a list of things I can barely manage that sadly, are now my responsibility again.

Our cleaner did:
-Bathroom - mirror, toilet, scrubbed adhesive off the floor, wiped surfaces (we don't have a shower screen or tub)
- Kitchen - Wipe benches, doors, splash back etc. Scrubbed the stove as needed as well as the range hood every couple of visits.
-Dusted/wiped other areas as needed eg cabinets, fans.
- Vacuumed and mopped the bathroom, Mum's bedroom, kitchen and lounge.

She didn't do anything in my room or the spare room.

Once a year, about mid December, we'd also book to have the walls and windows done before everyone descended on us for Christmas.This year we were going to add pressure cleaning the back verandah as well.

#24 Moukmouk

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

Like others, I have found over the years that having a cleaner helps us stay tidier in between. Every second  Sunday night the call goes out “Amy is coming tomorrow”, and the kids do a quick tidy of their rooms. I tidy bathroom and kitchen surfaces. It only takes a few minutes now.
The cleaners do the bathrooms, laundry, kitchen, vacuum and mop the whole house. Kitchen involves emptying the dishwasher , cleaning the microwave and the oven. Glass wardrobe doors get done as well. She will dust around things. It is so lovely to get home to a clean sparkly house. It’s actually the good floor cleaning that I really appreciate. Much easier to do when no one else is there.
She has a key and lets herself in.

#25 EsmeLennox

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

View Postexcellent, on 14 August 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

Why counter productive? Cleaning and tidying are not the same thing. I want my house tidy so they can clean it. I don't want to pay someone to put my crap away for me.

But I imagine you can pay for someone to do that for you.

Our cleaner, does bathrooms, floors, dusts, kitchen surfaces, stove top, microwave etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.