*Spinoff* how much does your cleaner do?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 MissMilla

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

I have a cleaner 3h every 2 weeks. The night before she comes i get the kids to tidy their rooms (throw all their toys into boxes) to save her some time.

What she does:
- thoroughly clean our 3 bathrooms (its 3 proper big bathrooms and includes 2 bathtubs and 2 showers combined).
- vacuum and wet clean the entire upstairs floor which is 4 bedrooms and 2 baths
- vacuum and wet clean the bathroom downstairs
- depending on how quick she is and the state of the playroom, she does the floor there too, if its too untidy i usually tell her to just clean the kitchen instead.

Once every 6 months or so she comes an additional time and does all my windows inside and out.

#27 MissMilla

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:03 PM

View PostMakesMeHappy, on 14 August 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

I don’t have a cleaner anymore but I did have one for years. She would happily tidy up, pick things up, put them away, wash dishes ect BUT I didn’t want her to waste her time in those jobs. We had her for 2 hours a week and I wanted the floors and bathrooms done and all surfaces wiped. If she spent time tidying then she wouldn’t have been able to finish the other jobs.

In general we are ‘tidy’ people so didn’t really have to clean before the cleaner

This.

My cleaner would even fold my laundry if the basket is sitting around, but i try to have everything tidy so that she doesnt waste her time doing that.

I do ask her to put on new sheets sometimes.

#28 SleepDebt

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

I agree it's what you want them to spend their time doing and for me, it's not tidying either. My mum has a cleaning business so she does my house. Even though she knows her way around my house and where everything goes and has seen it at its worst - I still tidy before she comes, so she can crack on and do the time consuming stuff.

3 hours gets me a clean kitchen ie dishes washed (The ones that can't go in the dishwasher) bench top and stove tops done. Kids beds made. Hard surfaces wiped. Bathrooms done. Floors done. She's had to have time off recently for medical reasons and I have been very reminded of why I have a cleaner in that time.... The house is feral.

#29 littlepickle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

When I was backfilling an executive role full time a number of years ago I found it worked better to have a “housekeeper” two mornings a week for 2 hours.
example:
Monday - if the sun was shinning strip beds, remake with fresh linen and wash/ put on line.
Vacuum, empty dishwasher
Ironing - usually a couple of shirts for DH and myself
Make a batch of morning tea muffins
Wipe kitchen down

Thursday (I would vac Wednesday evening)
Mop floors
Couple loads of washing
Put a loaf of bread in the bread maker
Clean ensuite bathroom
Dust anywhere that needed it.

On really hectic weeks I would pay an extra hour (+ ingredients) and she would make a couple of simple meals at her own home and then drop them off.

On the weekends kids would clean their own rooms and shared bathroom.

She was amazing and we paid $35 per hour - she ended up moving back into full time work when her youngest went to full time school. I stepped back into my part time role and we couldn’t then justify the expense.

#30 AliasMater

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

I hired a cleaner as of last month. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it was getting too much for me, too painful.

I don't have her do floors. I like them done very well so would prefer to just do them myself. I have her come 1.5 hours a fortnight. Things on the list include:

Main bathroom and toilet
Ensuite
Wipe laundry surfaces inc cupboards
Blinds
Kitchen cupboards and surfaces
Dust TV cabinet
Clean doors (all doors in my house are made of frosted glass and get prints easily)

That usually takes the full hour and a half with only one set of blinds each fortnight.

I did need other ideas though. Changing sheets on beds is a good idea. I really struggle with this. Especially the duvet.

#31 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:34 AM

I don't have a cleaner but I think tidying would just frustrate me because how would they know what goes where? I hate it when other people tidy my kitchen and then I can never find the implement I need at the time in the middle of cooking!

#32 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:41 AM

Ours does 4 hours a fortnight.

In this time they:
Vacuum and mop the whole house
Clean two bathrooms
Change our sheets
Dust flat surfaces
Dust blinds (not all blinds every time)
Clean glass doors
Clean the kitchen

We have a pin code door so they let themselves in. They do a fantastic job. Like others, we tidy the night before. This is to make their job easier and so they are hopefully able to get a bit more done.

#33 born.a.girl

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 15 August 2019 - 10:34 AM, said:

I don't have a cleaner but I think tidying would just frustrate me because how would they know what goes where? I hate it when other people tidy my kitchen and then I can never find the implement I need at the time in the middle of cooking!

Visitors are banned, here, from emptying the dishwasher and putting kitchen stuff away.

No help to me when I spend the next three weeks looking for things.

View PostTinkle Splashes, on 15 August 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

Ours does 4 hours a fortnight.

In this time they:
Vacuum and mop the whole house
Clean two bathrooms
Change our sheets
Dust flat surfaces
Dust blinds (not all blinds every time)
Clean glass doors
Clean the kitchen

We have a pin code door so they let themselves in. They do a fantastic job. Like others, we tidy the night before. This is to make their job easier and so they are hopefully able to get a bit more done.

I'd love a pin code door.

Any negatives?

#34 Ivy Ivy

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

I pay my cleaners to tidy, sort, pack away toys/books/clothes/groceries/ all the stuff left on surfaces and the floor, etc.  There is stuff absolutely everywhere, because my family and I are all messy, and I don't want to tidy before she comes, or ever, really.

We do some cleaning/laundry tasks on the days she isn't coming.  Begrudgingly.  But the catch cry is often "is --- coming tomorrow?" to clarify how little we can do.

She also does the washing (washes, hangs on line, brings in, folds, irons, puts away) and all cleaning, runs the dishwasher and empties it etc.  I come home from paid work to clean ironed folded clothes all in the right cupboards/bedrooms  She strips and remakes the beds.  She sorts linen and kitchen cupboards and the pantry.  She does everything physical.

She comes 3 days a week and I'm thinking of getting her 5 mornings so I/hubby don't have to tidy/clean up after meals the kitchen ever at all.

I abhor housework.

I am SOOOOO grateful to my cleaners.  I've had cleaners for over 20 y now.  If financially strapped, I'd keep them and prefer to drop most other luxury/wants expenditure to keep them.  I pay them well.

#35 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 15 August 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

I'd love a pin code door.

Any negatives?

Not for me, I love ours. I first got one about ten years ago because my daughter couldn’t be trusted with a key, plus I was worried that her dad would possibly copy it. So I got a fingerprint plus keypad lock, that way she couldn’t lose the key or give anyone the code. I’ve had a couple since then because of moving house and they have all worked well.

Our current Samsung is the best. It has keycode, swipe card or fingerprint access plus a secret keyhole in case of malfunction. It has a latch as well as a deadbolt, which makes it more functional than the ones that only have a deadbolt (I would avoid those ones). We have fitted them all ourselves, but it is hard and unless you are very handy I’d get a locksmith to do it.

#36 dadwasathome

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

We pay 4 hours/fortnight for floors, bathroom and kitchen, plus some dusting/tidying.

#37 LimeGreenS0da

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

I have been a paid cleaner before and I would pick up any cups/plates rubbish etc and do any washing up of dishes left on the sink.

In the bedrooms I would always make the beds and fold any clothes and place them neatly on the beds.

I would always put all the cushions on the lounge nicely and fold any throw rugs etc and place them neatly on the couch.

I would make sure tea towels and bathroom towels were hung nicely etc.

I was only there to do a 'surface clean' like floors/dusting/bathrooms/kitchen etc but to me I would clean inside the microwave, empty bins etc too.

If they wanted me to do other things on top of that they just asked like fans/shutters/oven etc.

I wanted my clients to come home to the 'wow' factor and really notice I had been there.

That was just my special touches.

Edited by LimeGreenS0da, 15 August 2019 - 01:02 PM.

#38 can'tstayaway

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

I currently don’t have a cleaner but have had cleaners and nanny type help previously. My parents also had paid domestic help so it isn’t unusual for me.

When the children were small, I wanted the cleaner to do floors, bathrooms, kitchen tidy up, changing sheets, laundry etc because I was stuck breastfeeding for what felt like most of the day.  Two or three times a week for an hour (or less) was more useful to me than one 3 hr block.

As the children got older, I was more able to stay on top of the basic cleaning like floors, dishes and laundry so I needed the cleaner to do jobs like cleaning the windows, glass doors, walls, skirting boards, bathrooms etc. The house may have been untidy with kids’ paraphernalia everywhere but underneath it was clean. During that period, I think we had 2 people come for 2-3hrs once a week.

Because we had those cleaners for so long, they got to know us and with our routine, they became more efficient. They started to do more of the tidying up and would empty and reline all the bins, take the wheelie bin to the street, clean the fridge, polish silver etc. When I had my 3rd child, they would do things like tidy the other children’s rooms and fold laundry.  We moved not long after and the cleaners are the ones i miss most about that home.

I’ve tried other agency cleaners who are a bit hit and miss. I’ve had ones that have stolen from me (only 1 out of all the cleaners I’ve had). I’ve had cleaners who spent most of their time sitting on my couch on the phone and they chipped a tile. I’ve had cleaners who have dumped me. It’s just about finding the right fit for your household.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.