Cat drinking bath water...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:17 PM

Is it overkill to stop him?

I assume he won’t launch himself in and scratch the kids, but I don’t know that the products I use are really a good idea for him.

#2 nom_de_plume

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

He’ll probably be fine. Mine drank some last night, complete with lavender scented bubble bath. She seems her normal self today!

#3 BornToLove

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Our cats drink from the toilet. They have several bowls with water. I even borrowed one of those fancy fountain drink bowls and they still preferred the toilet 🤷‍♀️

Anyways, I have no advice. If it’s just a little sip, I’d let it go. But if that’s their main source of hydration, I’d probably look at ways to keep them from drinking it.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

Water from when we've had a shower apparently tastes ten times better than what's in the bowl.

Long as he doesn't drink the bath dry. :)

How's he doing?

#5 Riotproof

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

Ohh good. Tbh, I think i’ll Stop him if he wants to with my baths by closing the door. But the kids seem to like it. Hahaha.

He’s a very fun cat. He completely loves to play. My trick has been teaching dd how to play with him so he doesn’t think she is a toy, but that is going pretty well. I’ve noticed he gets weepy eyes, only one at a time and they switch, which I will ask the vet about

He loves shower water. But he also has liked watching the kids have their bath from the laundry basket. Super cute. I kind of want him to fall in and see what he does.

Edited by Riotproof, 16 August 2019 - 07:40 PM.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

We used to have one that would fish bath toys out of the bath, perilously close to falling in, but never did.

#7 DM. 2012

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

Cats do this because the water is fresher. My cat also drinks water off the verandah or a puddle on the concrete after it’s been raining.

#8 Pocket...

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

My cat gets weeping eyes. It's allergies lol. She's the first one, then dp, then ds... When I see her eyes going I'm looking out for signs in everyone else.

#9 Just Jack

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM

In my experience, cats just love water they 'find' themselves, like shower water, bath water and toilet water!  They seem to do just fine ☺

#10 smilinggirl

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:00 PM

Mine sits in the laundry sink and waits for the washing machine water to come out. Needless to say we now shut him out of the laundry to prevent him drowing ...unfortunately now he has worked out how to open the door!

#11 Riotproof

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

They are so smart.

I have a car curled against me right now. He doesn’t like being on our laps to sleep because we get up too much.

#12 kadoodle

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:31 PM

SIL’s cat has figured out how to get the ice water out of the fridge dispenser. Cute but annoying, because he always spills some on the floor.

Gargoyle sits on the edge of the tub and supervises DS1. Not sure why, but it’s strange.

#13 Lunafreya

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, cats are funny about water

#14 Jenflea

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:48 PM

I had a cat who'd sit on the edge of the bath when I was in it and slowly swish her tail back and forth in the water.

And my last cat only drank out of the shower so I put a bowl in there for her, which I'd clean out every day or 2. She lived to 18.5 so a bit of soap scum/bubbles never hurt her.

New boy kitten started drinking in the shower so I put the bowl back in for him, which he drinks out of.

#15 400

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:26 AM

My cat won’t drink out of a bowl and used to drink the shower, toilet and sink water.

Interestingly, she will drink out of a cup, so we have a very big glass that is very full next to her food plate (not bowl, she is such a weirdo) that she seems perfectly happy drinking from.

Edited by 400, 17 August 2019 - 09:26 AM.

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:59 AM

Cats dining habits came up on the facebook group 'Cats on Catnip' (with thanks to my daughter's bf for giving me another reason to procrastinate).

CAT: I need food

Human: There's food in your bowl

CAT: I can see the bottom

Human: What difference does that make?

CAT:  I.CAN.SEE.THE.BOTTOM.

We have one like that. Fortunately the dog's happy to finish off the scraps so they don't get wasted.

#17 Ellie bean

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

My little dog loves to lick up shower water when he gets the chance, it’s his favourite drink, if he hears someone having a shower he hangs round outside the door until he can get in

#18 *Spikey*

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

Mine drink from their water bowl, which is changed twice a day - morning and night.

I have one cat that likes to splash in sinks, but that's play not drinking.

My previous cat used to like to drink out of my glass of water - in the end, I started to give her a glass too, just so she left mine alone. I think water tastes better from glass, so maybe that's it. But - it will also be fresh out of a tap, so it could be tasting better for that reason too.

Same for all the shower and bath drinkers - the water's fresher.

#19 polythene

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

Our cat likes shower water and toilet water too. If there's no water on the shower floor he annoys us until we go in a turn on the tap and wet the floor.  His water bowl is refilled every day.  He also enjoys sitting in an empty bathtub, although when the kids were little and still had baths he would sit on the edge. He only fell in once.  :D

#20 Riotproof

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

Last night, he told me he wanted to go to bed. Meowed, meowed and then I called him into the laundry, he climbed in his bed and I shut the door.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:49 PM

I've tried various methods to induce the indoor cats to drink more. Given any cats spending time outside do have that option drinking out of plant sauces, puddles etc, it seems logical that the indoor ones might dislike the tap water for some reason.

They often go to have a drink, then walk away. Whether they're just absent minded, or prefer being thirsty to what's in the bowl, I've no idea.

I was told that they might not like the chemicals in the tap water, and that water left to stand overnight smells better. Tried that.

Also tried collecting rainwater outside to give them, but that didn't make any difference either.

The kitten at one point was fascinated by the handbasin tap, trying to catch it in his paw then drink it which was highly entertaining for us, but don't think much went down his throat.

Anyone found something that encourages them to drink more?  Or should I say doesn't discourage them from drinking?

#22 Jenflea

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

I know people who use the drinking fountains, but they need to be plugged in to circulate and aerate the water. And I think the noise would make  me want to wee all day!

#23 born.a.girl

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostJenflea, on 18 August 2019 - 01:36 PM, said:

I know people who use the drinking fountains, but they need to be plugged in to circulate and aerate the water. And I think the noise would make  me want to wee all day!

I've thought about the fountains, but have never heard of, or read about anyone who's had success with them.

#24 Mollyksy

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

I got a cat fountain after watching the resident cat at our local pet store/warehouse drink out of it (he was a stray but good at keeping mice at bay so he was adopted and staff rotate taking him home on days the shop is shut).

It wasnt loud at all. You need to clean it regularly. You can get away with cleaning and reusing the filter a number of times too. The cats loved it. It was higher off the ground too which seemed to please them.

You need to top it up more than you think, the water evaporates quicker than you expect.

I used it until it blew up which was a good 3 or more years. I suspect it was my fault too, I let it run dry I think. I didnt replace it as I only had the one cat by that point and she was the most normal (she peed and poops in the litter tray only, is happy to drink out of a bowl, etc).

Our maltese pup growung up used to have a thing for green cordial. I often caught him drinking out of my glass! This is the pup who was annoyed we left him for the day and brought all my barbies in the loungeroom and took their arms, legs and heads off! Message clearly recieved! (Not sure why he targeted me!).

#25 Just Jack

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:38 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 18 August 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

I've tried various methods to induce the indoor cats to drink more. Given any cats spending time outside do have that option drinking out of plant sauces, puddles etc, it seems logical that the indoor ones might dislike the tap water for some reason.

They often go to have a drink, then walk away. Whether they're just absent minded, or prefer being thirsty to what's in the bowl, I've no idea.

I was told that they might not like the chemicals in the tap water, and that water left to stand overnight smells better. Tried that.

Also tried collecting rainwater outside to give them, but that didn't make any difference either.

The kitten at one point was fascinated by the handbasin tap, trying to catch it in his paw then drink it which was highly entertaining for us, but don't think much went down his throat.

Anyone found something that encourages them to drink more?  Or should I say doesn't discourage them from drinking?

Multiple tubs of water 'hidden' around the place for them to find! Cats love 'hunting' something themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.