Cat drinking bath water...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 born.a.girl

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

Actually having a bowl up somewhere where the dog can't get to it might be the go. Dogs are so slobbery.

#27 kadoodle

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:46 PM

One of mine walks past her drinking fountain to stick her face in my coffee. She’ll also try and eat instant out of the jar.

#28 Mollyksy

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

Lol Kadoodle. My only cat now (the sensible well behaved one) stuck her head in the butter container. Results: cat face imprint in the butter and unhappy cat trying to groom away globs of butter in her whiskers.

Crazy Bengal cat stuck her head in my coffee once and actually learned this was a bad idea and from then on sniffed slowly and carefully at food.

My old tuxedo girl that loved to 20 was an old dame who moved slowly and carefully except around something I'd put sour cream on. For that, she was freaking flash Gordon. She'd be in and out, big lick, before you'd know it.

#29 kadoodle

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

I churned some butter last weekend. All the cats watched me like hawks. I usually have several watching me milking, and one who will attach herself to cows in the paddock occasionally.

#30 Riotproof

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:29 PM

Oh I forgot to say, first home cooked meal for him the other day. Dd dropped half her steak from her sandwich. He was there. I moved it to his bowl because I thought that was a slightly better signal than expecting our dropped food. Loved it. I did notice the poo the after was a bit stinkier, but I suspect it was psychological.

#31 born.a.girl

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 18 August 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

Oh I forgot to say, first home cooked meal for him the other day. Dd dropped half her steak from her sandwich. He was there. I moved it to his bowl because I thought that was a slightly better signal than expecting our dropped food. Loved it. I did notice the poo the after was a bit stinkier, but I suspect it was psychological.

Great that he actually deigned to eat it.  Some will reject it unless you chop it to perfection for them. We've got one like that.

It's probably not psychological, the dried food has much less impact on the olfactory senses than any wet food.  We've moved the nealy-a-cat-kitten on to more dried food after he kept choosing the tinned, which is not as good a quality as his dried, and we're not driven out of the house any more after ablutions.

#32 Riotproof

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:40 PM

Yes, I thought it was good that he ate it with no effort from me.

I’m inclined to try a chicken wing tip the next time I get them. My other cat really liked chicken wings.

Edited by Riotproof, 18 August 2019 - 08:41 PM.

#33 born.a.girl

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:20 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 18 August 2019 - 08:40 PM, said:

Yes, I thought it was good that he ate it with no effort from me.

I’m inclined to try a chicken wing tip the next time I get them. My other cat really liked chicken wings.

That will be fantastic if he'll do that - so good for his teeth.

ETA: Our previous dog went to her late-life grave having fantastic teeth, because she had a chicken frame every single day.  current dog might be encouraged to eat one, once a month if the cat's looking interested, and recently cost $700 to have his teeth cleaned.

Edited by born.a.girl, 18 August 2019 - 09:21 PM.

#34 Riotproof

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:39 PM

My understanding is fresh meat up to twice a week for cats, but I will ask the vet. I have to take him for vaccination in September.

#35 Jenflea

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

I gave my last cat fresh meat pretty much daily and she lived to 18 and a half.

I really don't understand how processed, dry or tinned food can be better for them than raw meat, which is what they eat in the wild. They''re mega carnivores, they eat meat.

Kitten is getting wing tips every few days, but he doesn't crunch it all yet every time, but he'll get there I hope. He's pretty bitey so i'm hoping it'll give him something to get his teeth into !

#36 *Spikey*

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:45 PM

When their kidneys pack it in, they need less protein - hence less meat.

Mine lived until 22yo - cans and kibble every day.

Anecdata is anecdata.

The best recipe for an old cat is an indoor one.

#37 Jenflea

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

And when her kidneys did start packing in, she got much less raw meat and prescription cat food she hated and hardly ate, I threw out more than she ate for 3 or so years until she had to be PTS a few weeks ago.

#38 *Spikey*

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

I got lucky. Mine liked the prescription kibble, which meant we could manage fairly well. The wet stuff she could take or leave - but she used to steal it from our older cat (when she was much younger), so I suspect she had a bit of a taste for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.