Cooking drumsticks

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

My son loves chicken drumsticks, I loathe them and have no idea how to cook them for him.

Any suggestions?  He is 5 so wouldn't really like strong flavours.  I don't have a microwave but I do own a slow cooker.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't even know if I should buy fresh or frozen.

I've been reading online recipes, but it seems to take about 50 min to bake in the oven??

#2 gracie1978

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:17 PM

Currently thinking stopping off at the chicken shop on my home is the best option ;)

#3 perthgal3

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

I crumb them and bake in the oven 180c approx 45 minutes. Family fave in my house.

Or I use in a variety of casseroles.

I buy fresh skinless.

Edited by perthgal3, 18 August 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#4 Chazonator

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

I usually cook them in the oven with either a gf honey soy marinade I make myself or a gf cornflake crumb coating as one of kids is coeliac which just makes it harder in itself.. so I don't tend to cook them often! You could just cook them without a coating as such?

#5 BornToLove

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

Drumsticks take longer to cook because they (obviously) have the bone still in.

If you’re looking to cut cooking time, you’re going to have to look at other cuts of chicken. Boneless, skinless thighs will have the same taste with about half the cooking time.

If your son likes drumsticks because you eat with your hands, I would look at chicken wings.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:26 PM

You might be surprised what he likes, but they are very adaptable. Honey soy garlic would probably be my first suggestion, but plain with salt and pepper are also good. I’d be inclined to oven bake for crispy skin.

#7 Pigling_

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

I love a good drumstick. For an easy dinner we either crumb them (buy the crumb mix) or a grab one of the continental chicken seasoning things that come with seasoning and an oven bag. Chuck drumsticks in bag with seasoning, shake, through in oven for about 45 minutes.

#8 QuirkyMum

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:37 PM

For kids, I'd mix say 4 table spoons of mayo, 1 table spoon of tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon of mustard, some salt and grind some pepper and spread it even over drumsticks (no need to wash them, skin on, bone in).
Line oven tray with foil, put drumsticks in and bake for 40-45 mins.
If you don't want to touch raw chicken and you do use plastic bags, then you could transfer drumsticks into a strong plastic bag using tongs, pour mayo mixture over, close the bag and shake it until chicken is covered with mayo, then pour it into the lined tray.
TBH for kids I always add quartered potatoes and sweet potatoes, mayo+tomato coating gives them nice crust. Even kids who don't eat potato or sweet potato happily gobble it up roasted this way. If adding potatoes, you can double the mayo mix.

Edited by QuirkyMum, 21 August 2019 - 10:05 PM.

#9 maryanneK

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

View PostQuirkyMum, on 18 August 2019 - 08:37 PM, said:

For kids, I'd mix say 4 table spoons of mayo, 1 table spoon of tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon of mustard, some salt and grind some pepper and spread it even over drumsticks (no need to wash them, skin on, bone in).
Line oven tray with foil, put drumsticks in and bake for 40-45 mins.
If you don't want to touch raw chicken and you do use plastic bags, then you could transfer drumsticks into a strong plastic bag using thongs, pour mayo mixture over, close the bag and shake it until chicken is covered with mayo, then pour it into the lined tray.
TBH for kids I always add quartered potatoes and sweet potatoes, mayo+tomato coating gives them nice crust. Even kids who don't eat potato or sweet potato happily gobble it up roasted this way. If adding potatoes, you can double the mayo mix.

Transfer using thongs 😅😂😅😂 sounds tricky 😆
They do take ages to cook but not much work, once they're in the oven that's it.
I like a sprinkle of herbs/oil/lemon/garlic or a simply honey/soy marinade, or tandoori paste. If you google recipes you'll get heaps. You can do nice tray bake type dishes, cook all together with sauce and vegetables. They are also good in a slow cooker.

Edited by maryanneK, 18 August 2019 - 08:45 PM.

#10 gracie1978

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:45 PM

View PostBornToLove, on 18 August 2019 - 08:25 PM, said:

Drumsticks take longer to cook because they (obviously) have the bone still in.

If you’re looking to cut cooking time, you’re going to have to look at other cuts of chicken. Boneless, skinless thighs will have the same taste with about half the cooking time.

If your son likes drumsticks because you eat with your hands, I would look at chicken wings.

He specifically likes drumsticks.  They'll have to be a non work day food!

#11 BornToLove

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:54 PM

View Postgracie1978, on 18 August 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

He specifically likes drumsticks.  They'll have to be a non work day food!

I’d cook extra the days you do make them, so you can reheat for dinner on Work nights. 😉

#12 kimasa

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:18 PM

Crumbed and baked "liked Grill'd chips" (aka with rosemary) is my 6yr old's favourite way to have them.

I like them coated in oyster sauce and sesame seeds then baked.

#13 laridae

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:31 PM

Mine loves honey soy. We made them last night she ate as much as I did and still wanted more, then had leftovers for lunch today. She's a picky eater usually too.

My recipe is (I do this in a large zip lock bag but you could use any container with a lid).

2kg chicken drumsticks
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
A small piece (2cm or so) of fresh ginger, finely grated
2-3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons cornflour

Mix everything together in the bag except cornflour and chicken until the honey is dissolved. Add the chicken, seal the bag and massage it to coat the chicken. Put the bag in the fridge for a couple of hours to marinate. When ready to cook, add the cornflour to the bag, reseal and massage it to mix it in.
Tip the contents into a baking dish (or 2), making sure the chicken is not overlapping. Bake for about an hour at 180deg.

You could leave this marinating all day, or freeze in the bag for another day. I've also done them in the slow cooker but I'd probably not leave them all day. I'd put them on around lunch time.

Edited by laridae, 18 August 2019 - 09:34 PM.

#14 gracie1978

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

Thsnks for the amazing suggestions.

Will try a basic crumb and see how I go!

#15 Froggilicious

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:41 PM

You can try the slow cooker for work days?

#16 Prancer is coming

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:55 PM

Buy them fresh.

I like them coated in a crumb.  Plenty of options in the supermarket, the southern fried one is nice.  Basically, put some oil in the bottom of a baking dish.  Give each drum stick a coat in oil.  Put some of the seasoning in a plastic bag.  Put drumstick in bag and shake.  Cook in the oven.  Another bonus of the store bought crumbing is it has full instructions, including how long to cook the chicken for.

You can either cook up one or two and freeze the rest, or cook them all up and reheat over the next few nights.  If you find yourself with too many left overs, just take the meat off and use it in a sandwich.

#17 Kallie88

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:00 PM

Recipe I loved growing up was french onion soup mix (follow instructions to get a liquid) put the drumsticks in an oven tray, soup over the top, drizzle honey over it all, then bake for 45-60 mins at 180. Served with rice, yum. Can definitely make extra and heat up leftovers another time

#18 gracie1978

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:09 PM

I think it might be time to buy a microwave!

#19 Jenflea

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:36 PM

Meat cooked in the microwave is revolting, but reheating is ok.

#20 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:08 PM

I pull the skin right up, then toss in seasoned bread crumbs, put on a tray, spray with oil, then bake until cooked. Easy, cheap and yummy.

#21 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:50 PM

I just use seasonal and put in the oven at 180 degrees 25 minutes one side then another 20 the other side. Easy

#22 MarciaB

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

My kids (when little) liked them with orange juice/soy sauce marinade.

So roughly equal quantities orange juice/soy sauce (1/4 cup or so depending on how many you have). 1 clove garlic (more or less to taste).  Mix together and either marinate for as long as you have - or pour over the top in a lined baking dish.  Drizzle some honey over if you want.

Bake in oven (around 45 minutes from memory).

I used to roast some mini potatoes at the same time - it was an easy dinner - but you do need about an hour - but easy to just throw in the oven.

#23 bec578

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

This is yummy

http://www.slowcooke...ken-drumsticks/

#24 QuirkyMum

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

View PostmaryanneK, on 18 August 2019 - 08:44 PM, said:

Transfer using thongs 😅😂😅😂 sounds tricky 😆
(Facepalm)
I should probably edit that message😛

#25 IamOzgirl

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:35 PM

Recipe TIn Eats to the rescue!

Its like she reads us!

https://www.recipeti...ken-drumsticks/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.