Help! Zinc sunscreen that doesn't leave a white cast?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

I need a zinc moisturiser for DD (skin has been very dry this winter which is why it needs to be a moisteriser rather than a straight sunscreen).  I use the Josie Maran argan oil daily moisturizer which works great, but at $50 a bottle I was hoping to find something cheaper for her.  I often use Sheer Defence by Invisible Zinc but for some reason it doesn't work on her (looks very sickly).  She's 11 with slightly olive skin.  I'm going to try Moo Goo SPF 15 face moisturiser today, but would appreciate any feedback on products that you may have tried.  Thanks!

Edited by Gumbette, 19 August 2019 - 10:28 AM.

#2 Lady Gray

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

Personally I’d be using s SPF30 or 50 as a daily sunscreen (god knows I wish I done this).  I’ve got olive skin and have been using La Roche Posay sunscreen with sunscreeen and loving it for my oily skin.  It’s a combination of chemical and physical sunscreen so best of both worlds and comes highly recommended by severe derms I follow on Instagram.  

If her skin is dry I think she’d love the screen queen one by Ultra Violette.  Way too hydrating for me!  Otherwise Klairs makes a good one that can be used as a moisturiser only.

#3 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

Thank you LG.  I would prefer something with higher SPF, but as I have terrible melsma and it runs in the family I've been advised to stick with a physical sunscreen (chemical allows your skin to absorb the heat which isn't great for hyper pigmentation).  Will have a look at the La Roche one today.

#4 Lady Gray

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

Me too! The LRP one has been great for ensuring my melasma doesn’t get worse.

#5 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

^^ do you know if it stings if it gets in your eyes? (Don't ask!) :rolleyes:

#6 Future-self

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

The Go-to daily face moisteriser with zinc is lovely and you wouldn’t know that you have it on

https://gotoskincare...cts/zincredible

#7 Future-self

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:39 PM

As an aside, any zinc based physical sunscreen with a really high spf is going to leave a white sheen. It’s impossible to have such a high physical blockage without seeing the physical barrier if that makes sense. So it’s about balancing

#8 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

Future-self, on 19 August 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

The Go-to daily face moisteriser with zinc is lovely and you wouldn’t know that you have it on

https://gotoskincare...cts/zincredible

I've tried that and yes it is good, but it's roughly the same price as the Josie Maran SPF Moisturizer which I use, so was trying to find something a bit cheaper. Tight me thinks an 11 y.o doesn't need a $50 bottle of sunscreen that she goes through in a month :p. Also the JM Moisturizer is sold as SPF 47 in the U.S which I prefer.

#9 Crazy4

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:28 PM

I believe it’s a myth that chemical sunscreens makes melasma worse. I also use LRP and love it.

#10 MarciaB

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

My dd uses a Cetaphil moisturiser with sunscreen as recommended by her dermatologist.

She is super fair - and is often on the water for 12 hour days (rowing is her sport).  for those days - she alternates every 2 hours between Neutrogena Beach Defence and also Clear Zinke.

Clear Zinke is also the preferred sunscreen for when they go to the beach as apparently it doesn't sting.

http://www.clearzink...-sensitive-100g

#11 EmmDasher

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:39 PM

Have you tried Invisible Zinc? I’m not a fan of zinc sunscreens but it wasn’t too bad.

I use Sunsense Sensitive Invisible Zinc on DD for school.

Edited by EmmDasher, 19 August 2019 - 01:40 PM.

#12 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

Crazy4, on 19 August 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

I believe it’s a myth that chemical sunscreens makes melasma worse. I also use LRP and love it.

They don't make it worse - the heat makes it worse and chemical sunscreen absorbs the heat rendering any harmful rays useless, whereas physical sunscreen forms a physical barrier on the surface of the face preventing your skin getting hot.  I've spent thousands removing my melasma, and I'm too scared to change to a chemical sunscreen to test that theory!  Also any form of chemical sunscreen makes my eyes water (I use it on my eyelids too), so I'm really stuck with Zinc.  DD has the same problem, got it into her eyes, and was adamant it was conjunctivitis - sat at the Dr's for an hour & paid $80 to confirm it was the sunscreen...

#13 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

EmmDasher, on 19 August 2019 - 01:39 PM, said:

Have you tried Invisible Zinc? I’m not a fan of zinc sunscreens but it wasn’t too bad.

I use Sunsense Sensitive Invisible Zinc on DD for school.

I use Sheer Defence Invisible Zinc which is fine under makeup but it leaves her face white.  Maybe she put on way too much this morning.  Will try again tomorrow.

#14 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:04 PM

The moogoo definitely leaves your face white. Even on my pale face!

#15 Lady Gray

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

Gumbette, on 19 August 2019 - 11:37 AM, said:

^^ do you know if it stings if it gets in your eyes? (Don't ask!) :rolleyes:

Probably!  But I’m guessing most would!  

This video is super helpful https://youtu.be/pMbO5RyUkUI for a list of some of the best physical sunscreens.  

Ps. Do you mind if I ask how you got rid of your melasma?

#16 Lady Gray

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:56 PM

Ohhhh I just remembered that the Gothamista mentions a sunscreen in this video which is ophthalmologist tested and perfect for sensitive eyes:  https://youtu.be/L98NcHx1QeA

I can’t remember which one but it’s worth watching anyway (plus she mentions the LTP one).

#17 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:03 PM

Thanks LG.  Will have a look when I get home tonight.

Currently having laser therapy with these guys, but I think most clinics with a Pico machine can do it now (definitely NOT the laser clinics on the corner of every Westfield though).  I started with an all natural melanin inhibitor sold by the clinic prior to the laser therapy which TBH was extremely effective even on it's own.  After a month I moved onto laser - 10 sessions in total.  I'm up to number 9 now and it's probably about 75% gone.  I think I'll commit to 15 in total and then call it quits.  I was very skeptical at the beginning, but we've just taken the before & after photos and the results have been amazing.  They also push you to use a physical sunscreen.

https://www.rejuvaus...juvenation/faq/

ETA it's no longer $400 a session so no I haven't spent $3200 :smile:

Edited by Gumbette, 19 August 2019 - 04:05 PM.

#18 Lady Gray

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

I’ve been researching pico laser with these guys! do you mind if I pm you a few questions?

#19 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

Of course!  I've battled melasma for 10 yrs so happy to help if I can.

#20 Popper

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:49 AM

Hi OP. I use the tinted invisible zinc 50+ under my makeup. As it is tinted there is no white mark, your daughter could try the darker tint option. I then use normal invisible zinc on rest of body as needed.

Edited by Popper, 20 August 2019 - 05:50 AM.

#21 MarciaB

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

OP - as I mentioned ^^ Clear Zinke doesn't sting in the water.  I checked with my dd who is a surf lifesaver - that is what they all use.

Hope that helps for water sports.

#22 nom_de_plume

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:44 AM

The Mecca Cosmetica one is supposed to be good. They will give you samples so you can try before you commit to buying.

#23 EmmDasher

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

Mecca Mineral is what I use but it’s $40 a tube which is not that much less than Josie Maran.

#24 Gumbette

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

Mecca Mineral-Gel is $40 for 75 mls vs $47 for 50 mls so a bit of a saving.  Unfortunately it was out of stock when I wandered in there yesterday.  It's also Titanium Dioxide instead of Zinc so doesn't protect as much from memory, but I'm running out of options.

I tried the Invisible Zinc Sheer Defence tinted on her this morning which seemed to be okay, but the school frowns on make up of any kind so hopefully they won't notice the slight 'glow'.  Also worried about it rubbing off on her white uniform.  Going to try and find some Zinke today - couldn't locate any yesterday.  

Slightly off topic, but I remember sitting in the sun for hours at school assembly in the open, with no hat or sunscreen.  Kids passing out due to the heat.  So glad we've moved on!

Edited by Gumbette, 20 August 2019 - 09:18 AM.

#25 WaitForMe

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:34 AM

I haven't tried it, but The Ordinary have a minerals sunscreen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.