Have I been ripped off, or treated respectfully?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 peckingbird

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

I have been getting my long thick hair coloured (1/2 head foils) for about ten years. Usually 2-3 times per year.

For the last few years I have been overseas, but prior to that I was seeing the same person for many years (who has now retired) and I was being charged about $170 per session for colour and cut.

So since returning to Melbourne I have tried a couple of different salons and it’s been around $250. Fair enough, I think. Times have changed, things are expensive and my hair is incredibly difficult to work with.

But recently I went to a salon and the total price was $370, much more than the quoted $270. I was very specific when I booked and was given the quote that I have extremely thick hair and that the colour usually takes at least 2 hours. Throughout the process of doing my hair, the colourist kept telling me she “needs more product, need another bowl” etc. she refilled the bowl about 5 times. She also was visibly stressed as the procedure was taking a very long time and I could hear her rearranging other clients in order to finish me off. She was not at all rude about this, just matter of fact.

On my itemised bill the extra $100 ish was itemised by “additional product” at $20 per bowl and “additional time” at $15 x 2.  

My long winded question is this. Is it normal to charge so heavily for hair that requires more product to be used, or have I been overcharged? My thinking is that this salon has simply been more respectful to me by beating clear about the charges for the additional product used whereas other places I have been have just charged me for the extra product without being specific about it.

One part of me feels about ripped off by being charged a lot more for my hair type but the other part of me feels they’ve just been more transparent than what I’ve experienced before.

All so superficial and fluffy, but I would appreciate any experiences/thoughts.

#2 Tokra

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

I don't think I'd be very happy with that. If you gave them all of the information up front and they gave you a quote, then I would expect that to be the price.

Yes, it's good that they have given you information on the extra cost. But did they discuss that with you at all during the process?

#3 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

I think its worth asking a couple of hairdressers their opinion as to how long it should have reasonably taken and how much product should have been used. If the hairdresser was exceptionally slow due to their own ineptitude you shouldn't have to pay for that but I think you need a few quotes to know what is reasonable.

I wouldn't be rude about it but I would certainly question it, assuming every other place charged a lot less.

#4 Mollycoddle

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

I'm with Tokra.  When you first presented to the salon they should have been able to estimate how much time and product would have been needed and given you an accurate quote.

#5 Little Bean

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

I would be horrifed and quite honestly would probably have refused to pay the extra $100, unless it was understood that the original quote was not a final price.
My husband is a tradie and sometimes jobs take longer/are more complicated than what he realised when giving his original quote. It's bad luck. He has to simply absorb the cost. It may be different because he provides quotes in writing which are then agreed upon, but I still think it's out of line for the salon to charge you extra.

#6 ipsee

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

I probably wouldn't do anything, but I wouldn't go back either.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

I'd probably have paid, not said anything, and seethed about it for days, and never go back.

I had something similar years ago, when I explained my hair to the hairdresser, she insisted a certain perm would be right, the the cut was appropriate, instead I ended up looking like god knows what.  I rang the next day, was told to come back to have it fixed, and they charged me for another haircut.  Poor business on their part because I never went back.

I think if they've given you a quote over the phone, then seen you in person, they would be able to tell that it was going to take longer than they'd allowed, and make it clear then and there that it would cost more.  I wouldn't necessarily expect them to hold to a quote they'd given over the phone, given the nature of hairdressing, but surely they'd know once they saw you.

#8 EPZ

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

I would have said something at time of paying, but if I didn't, now I just wouldn't go back.

#9 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

I got ripped off once for highlights and a cut at a local place where it normally was $180 and the guy charged $340. I didn’t complain to them, I just never went back again.

I think it’s easy to say you’d just refuse to pay, but with me i was just so shocked and confused I paid then walked out, thought WTF just happened after. Tried to figure out if there could be a reasonable answer before accepting I just got scammed.

However while I didn’t complain to them at the time, I did however complain to everyone else about what happened; friends, family, work colleagues, neighbours, school mums, people at the coffee shop etc etc. I can dine out on the outrage for years!

It’s a local place so figured even though it happened to me, by sharing what happened it might stop somebody else having the same negative experience. Some people will just take advantage that someone might not speak up to rip people off, it sucks but it happens.

#10 raechel82

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

I would have paid and felt annoyed. They should have worn the cost and explained next time it would cost more. The price of hairdressing is getting very very expensive.

#11 Ellie bean

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:40 PM

My husband is a hairdresser, if he misquoted he would bear the extra cost himself- which is why he’s very careful when quoting

#12 lozoodle

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

When you gave the estimate, did you do it over the phone or in person? I.e. had they actually had a visual assessment of your hair?

I'm just saying that in the sense that my just below shoulder length quite thin hair often takes up to 3 hours to colour, so the estimate of a usual two hours seems very low which is probably where it went wrong if the rough quote was made before they actually saw your hair.

That said, I also have the amount differ depending on how much toner is needed etc as well.

I do think it is poor form to give a quote without a disclaimer attached to it if it is subject to so much change.

Edited by lozoodle, 19 August 2019 - 01:58 PM.

#13 Oriental lily

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:58 PM

The thing is the next client through the door they quoted $270 for might have the type of hair that is rather thin and fine so they use less product and labour  on them getting the job done .

It all evens out .

Very unprofessional to charge more after giving a quote .

It amazes me how little business sense some people have and how they don’t look at the big picture .

#14 Chocolate Addict

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

They should have assessed the situation once you arrived and let you know it would cost more than quoted.

Very poor form on their part. I get they need to charge for the extra product and time (maybe) but should have been able to tell straight away that your hair was going to take more than the 2(?) bowls you were quoted for.

I wouldn't go back because of how they dealt with it, the charge was probably reasonable by the sounds of it but their handling of it was not.

#15 Daphne27

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

Op. Costs have gone up but not that much. I havr a lot of hair. At a quite fancy salon i went to in an upmkt salon i pad 220 for a colour and cut. I changed salons and the new salon ( same suburb and still v nice salon) is 170 for cut and colour. Although i probably go slightly more often.

Firstly they shouldnt go over quoted amount. Secondly i think you are paying a lot at 270. That should be more than adequate. Id look elsewhere.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

They should have been able to make an assessment when you first arrived and revised their quote before starting. I'd be annoyed, too.

#17 Mollycoddle

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 19 August 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

When you gave the estimate, did you do it over the phone or in person? I.e. had they actually had a visual assessment of your hair?

Quoting over the phone for hairdressing services is probably not a great idea to start with.  If a business insists on doing it then then they need to honour the quote and cover the cost in the manner OL suggested ie. averaging it out over customers who use more or less product and time for the same service.  It's Business 101 really, you might keep track over, say, a month of how much you're spending in total on expenses for x service across all customers then fix your price accordingly to ensure you cover costs as well as make a fair profit.  And by fair, I mean not setting the price so high as to be ripping people off.

Either quote for a standard service sight unseen or give an accurate customised quote upfront.  You can't vary a quote after you've provided the service.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 19 August 2019 - 02:59 PM.

#18 caitiri

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:50 PM

It costs me about 270 I have above shoulder fine hair.  Where I go i consider expensive.  They should have redone the quote when they saw you or stuck to it you don’t just whack on an extra 100. I’d also go somewhere else next time

#19 Bandwagon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

My hair is deceptively thick and always costs more in product and time. Last time it cost about $340. They always do a good job though. I choose a style that doesn’t need constant upkeep (balayage) so it balances out. I can’t keep up with foils.

#20 peckingbird

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Yes it was surprisingly expensive, and like a couple of PPs above, I’m the sort of person to just pay up and then seethe afterwards privately.

To answer queries, the original quote of $270 was given over the phone after I provided lots of detail about my hair volume/type.  Their price list said 1/2 head foils “starting from $180” so I thought $270 would encompass the difference between having short, fine hair and long thick hair.  So the to get the final bill for $100 more again was a bit of a shock. When I arrived in person and they saw my hair, the receptionist said there may be a “bit of extra charge for more time” ... well $100 is a LOT to me, not a “bit”.

As the colourist was refilling the bowl, I thought out was odd that she kept telling me she needs more product, she kept repeating it but she didn’t actually say it would cost extra. I think she thought I knew that if she’s using more product it would cost extra, and that’s why she kept repeating it.

Anyway, it’s a lesson learnt.  I won’t be doing anything about it, but I won’t be going back.  I’m just a bit naive about how salons charge these days and I just wasn’t expecting such a huge difference from the quote.  

Thanks again for all the feedback I really appreciate it.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

Can i just say I hate the word 'product'?

I know I'm showing my age, but it's got a name.

#22 nom_de_plume

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

I think it’s common for them to charge extra for longer/thicker hair, but I would expect that when you arrived and they do the consult they would have said ‘it’s going to cost extra’ as opposed to just presenting you with the bill at the end.

If you can find yourself a good hairdresser who works from a home salon it’s well worth it. My Mum pays $320 for 1/2 head foils, treatment, cut and blowave at a salon. I pay $150 for the same at my hairdresser who works from home.

#23 lost_eb-er!

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

View PostBandwagon, on 19 August 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

My hair is deceptively thick and always costs more in product and time. Last time it cost about $340. They always do a good job though. I choose a style that doesn’t need constant upkeep (balayage) so it balances out. I can’t keep up with foils.

Yep. Me too. Deceptively thick hair. A half head of foils would see me at the hairdresser for 5ish hours. A full head would be a full day experience. $340 seems reasonable to me for a lot of hair in Sydney or Melbourne.

I can't be bothered with them anymore either!

#24 Pink Flamingo

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

I think that is terrible service. Fair enough to charge a bit more but $100 more is A LOT when not communicated properly. I’d be annoyed too, op. I certainly wouldn’t be going back there again.
I Can’t believe how expensive it is to go to the hairdressers these days!

#25 seayork2002

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostPink Flamingo, on 19 August 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

I think that is terrible service. Fair enough to charge a bit more but $100 more is A LOT when not communicated properly. I’d be annoyed too, op. I certainly wouldn’t be going back there again.
I Can’t believe how expensive it is to go to the hairdressers these days!

I paid 30ish for a hair cut (yes just a cut I know) recently no way would I be paying what is in the OP - yes I would go somewhere else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.