Walking pram for largish 4 year old

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ARE78

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

Hi all. It has been many years since I needed a pram, so I am out of the loop. I am looking for a pram for a family I know. The 4year old has multiple additional needs so must be in a pram. The family do not own a car, so walk everywhere. Our town has few paved footpaths. Also, mum carries the groceries home with the child and stroller, so ideally a roomy basket or well balanced to hang bags on. Any ideas please, preferably second hand?

#2 Living Type

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

Do they have Ndis funding? If so they could use that to get a pram as prams are expensive for older kids. Otherwise basic pram with not additional support would be Maclaren Major is umbrella style stroller that holds up to 50kgs. Dobuggy is similar They are around $550 new so cheaper 2nd hand. Best place to find is in the special needs equipment sale groups on Facebook.

#3 Caribou

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

my first thought was Baby jogger city select which are very easy to obtain second hand and usually have a high end up to 25kg seat limit.

Not many prams go beyond the 25kg limit.

another option is the steel craft agile plus.

I think due to the weight limit, the closer the seat is to the ground, the better, for steering, especially in areas with little to no footpaths.

#4 Zippypeaks

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:56 PM

I love our Thule Urban Glide, strong, sturdy, great suspension, easy to steer, huge basket and all sorts of extra pockets, up to 25kgs. Look second hand but they don't come up very often.

#5 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:04 PM

What about a Baby Jogger Elite? 3 wheeler with a 34kg seat limit. Should be easy to find 2nd hand as they are pretty popular.
Or a Mountain Buggy Terrain?

#6 literally nobody

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:13 PM

Maclaren makes a special needs stroller.

#7 OliviaVivian

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:31 PM

I’d look into a mountain buggy.

#8 Pink Flamingo

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

The baby jogger city select is a great pram as the basket can fit HEAPS. My 3 year old is on the taller side and is just starting to out grow it though. The city mini GT is great for tall kids but the basket doesn’t hold as much. The baby jogger Elite May be a goer though. I’ve found baby joggers easy to steer even with bigger kids on rough terrain.

#9 Demera

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:22 PM

I have a Baby Jogger Elite and it would suit the bigger child and terrain, but the basket isn't large and it's difficult to get things in and out. You cannot hang bags from the handles as there are warnings against that, and it will fall backwards if you did hang something heavy. I also find that it's a very reclined seat even in the most upright position so if the kid wants to sit up they can't while strapped in. But it's a dream to push and steer and easy to fold and unfold.

#10 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

Can the parent wear a back pack to increase what they can carry?

#11 FloralArrangement

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

My son, who has a physical disability, has a Maclaren stroller specifically for special needs. He is 33kgs but tall and we think grown out of it (we tend to now only use it for post regular day surgery he has). He is 11.

We got ours through Novita, (NDIA funded)  special needs supply, it was ordered by his OT

#12 coolbreeze

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

I was thinking the Mountain Buggy terrain.
CB

#13 Mrs Claus

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

View PostDemera, on 19 August 2019 - 11:22 PM, said:

I have a Baby Jogger Elite and it would suit the bigger child and terrain, but the basket isn't large and it's difficult to get things in and out. You cannot hang bags from the handles as there are warnings against that, and it will fall backwards if you did hang something heavy. I also find that it's a very reclined seat even in the most upright position so if the kid wants to sit up they can't while strapped in. But it's a dream to push and steer and easy to fold and unfold.

I hang shopping on my elite, just need to make sure both sides are balanced and take them off before getting the child out

#14 IamtheMumma

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:16 AM

I have a City Elite and it is a piece of cake to use even when on the grass. But it would depend on the size of the kid. It might be too small for a large 4/5yr old.

Have the family been able to access NDIS funding? They might be able to source a pram through them.

#15 Kavity1

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:49 PM

Possibly if you can't get one via NDIS funding, The good quality bike trailers are fantastic, my 10 yr old still fit easily in our double croozer, big wheels low to ground and heaps and heaps of space under for storage? easy to push even when heavy

#16 ARE78

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:30 PM

Thank you everyone!🙂 I will investigate the options. The Elite may be a goer. I had a Mountain Buggy many moons ago and loved it. Unfortunately, the family will not be eligible for NDIS funding for a while. Thanks again😁

#17 blueskies12

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

We use a Phil and Teds double. Not sure if the weight limit, but my 4 year old fits in the top seat comfortably.

#18 Bugster

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:37 AM

I second a good bike trailer. Most have 2 seats plus pockets, plenty of room for child & groceries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.