Sleep School

27 replies to this topic

#1 MakesMeHappy

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

I am tired. I am very very tired. DD is 6 months old, she is breastfed. She generally only goes back to sleep overnight with a feed, I may be able to settle her once with a dummy but normally she will not accept it. She normally wakes every 1.5-2 hours. She feeds quickly and goes straight back to sleep. I cope pretty well with the lack of sleep but when it drops under the 1.5 hours blocks it really starts to wear me down.

I would really like to attend a sleep school. I know all the things I am supposed to do to get her to sleep longer but I just can’t seem to implement them on my own, I want the professional guidance.

I am in Victoria can anyone tell me about any of them? I think I will have to use the public services. I have private health insurance for myself on a single policy but not for my DD so I don’t think I can go to a private hospital because they normally admit the baby and the mother is a boarder (please feel free to tell me if this is incorrect!)

Most of the reviews/info on them seem to be old. I would love recent experiences and info on wait times.

Please help this worn out mumma. I have a lot going on at the moment with my other kids too and I just feel I can’t cope with all their issues with no sleep

#2 mandala

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:06 PM

So, call your local MCHN and get the details of the public services so you can get your name on the waiting list. From memory, there's Tweddle (North), O'Connell (Inner East) and QEC (South East). I'd put my name down on all of them.

On the subject of private, whether they admit you or your baby as the patient/boarder depends. In my case, I was the patient and my baby was the boarder, in others it was the baby (e.g. when there was reflux or other medical issues causing the sleep issues), and in still others both mother and baby were admitted as patients. It's worth getting a referral from your GP and filling out the paperwork, as the actual choices of how they do it will probably depend on their assessment of your particular circumstances.

I can't tell you anything about recent experiences or wait times (I would say unfortunately but I'm so so glad I'm not going through it now - I feel so much for you, as it's just misery with no sleep).

It used to be that O'Connell was considered the 'softest', Mitcham Private somewhere in the middle, Masada Private the strictest. I'm not sure about QEC and Tweddle but I suspect they were around the middle. No idea if this still applies.

Not sure this is much help, but I wish you luck.

#3 MakesMeHappy

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

View Postmandala, on 20 August 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

So, call your local MCHN and get the details of the public services so you can get your name on the waiting list. From memory, there's Tweddle (North), O'Connell (Inner East) and QEC (South East). I'd put my name down on all of them.

On the subject of private, whether they admit you or your baby as the patient/boarder depends. In my case, I was the patient and my baby was the boarder, in others it was the baby (e.g. when there was reflux or other medical issues causing the sleep issues), and in still others both mother and baby were admitted as patients. It's worth getting a referral from your GP and filling out the paperwork, as the actual choices of how they do it will probably depend on their assessment of your particular circumstances.

I can't tell you anything about recent experiences or wait times (I would say unfortunately but I'm so so glad I'm not going through it now - I feel so much for you, as it's just misery with no sleep).

It used to be that O'Connell was considered the 'softest', Mitcham Private somewhere in the middle, Masada Private the strictest. I'm not sure about QEC and Tweddle but I suspect they were around the middle. No idea if this still applies.

Not sure this is much help, but I wish you luck.

Thank you! This is amazing help. Even just reading your info makes me feel better. I actually made a GP appointment today (although can’t get in until next week!) because the lack of sleep is really making my anxiety extreme and I may need to adjust my medication. I did see some referral forms on their website so I will print them off an take them with me. Thanks again!

#4 mocha444

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:30 PM

Hi MakesMeHappy,

I know how it feels to be where you are. I just want to reassure you that all the things your baby is doing are normal, even though it is super hard. You are doing an amazing job 💖

I’d really recommend the Beyond Sleep Training Project Facebook group. You can post there for free advice on how to help everyone get more sleep. They have resources to help you understand if your sleep issues are normal infant sleep or something more. There are really useful units to read. They also have a list of providers that are truly gentle and can help if you feel you need some one on one guidance.

I hope you find the support you are needing and sending lots of hugs 🤗

#5 chicken_bits

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:36 PM

Hi OP,
I've had 4 admissions to Masada with 2 children. I had difficult babies on top of a chronic health condition.

I found Masada to be amazing because they really focus on the mothers and getting them refreshed and really help with your babies rather than just teaching you how to do it and getting you to do it yourself.

I believe that when I was admitted, it was for me as the patient not the baby. But I'd suggest it's still worth enquiring with both them and the other private ones (I think there's one in Mitcham?) as to what the situation with your insurance is. Simply because while still long, the waitlists are often shorter.

Good luck!

#6 Lady Gray

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

No advice on the sleep schools OP but just wanted to chime in and say good on you for getting help and your mental health is just as important if not more so!  Every time we’ve had help for our daughter on sleep (or food or whatever) I’ve thought after going through the process, ‘why didn’t we do that sooner!!!’

#7 ilovethebeach

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

I can recommend masada or northpark. Went to twaddle too it was ok but private was much better.

#8 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

Another vote for Masada if they can admit you. They were brilliant. I did a 5 day stay, but it was about 6 years ago.

Here is the link.

https://www.masadapr...dential-Program

#9 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:34 AM

I can’t comment on the schools (different state), but I did a day stay with my 9mo at sleep school, and we went from cosleeping (which was no longer working for us at all) to him sleeping in his own cot, in his own room, and sleeping through. It was amazing that this was achieved with a day stay where he napped for 20 minutes only.

Life is so much better when you are getting enough sleep. We recently went through a very bad patch with DS having ear infections, and the bad sleep continued after they had cleared. I was in such a bad way. I phoned the sleep school, got some great support, made a few changes and DS is back to sleeping through. It’s so good to get a good sleep!

#10 Abernathy

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:49 AM

I have heard great things about Masada.

#11 Elly_Bells

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:21 AM

It all depends who admits you in private. If it's a psych referral (you could probably do this for the anxiety) then the baby is the boarder and you are admitted. I have been to Northpark and Mitcham and they were both great. If you can do private I would as I think you will get more of a rest - friends who did public sleep schools didn't get the same level of maternal support.

#12 onetrick

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:24 AM

I went to mitcham (they admit under bubs name, so not useful to you) but I've heard great things about masada.
To be honest, it was a whole baby approach and when we changed DS' feeding schedule, he slept overnight (some babies need to feed on demand- at 15mo he would still be demanding every 45 mins if it was up to him!). I'd go again with the next bub if we needed to without hesitation!
Good luck, and if you need to chat in the meantime, just message/ post on here. You are not alone, so many of us have been there xx

#13 mandala

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

View Postonetrick, on 21 August 2019 - 07:24 AM, said:

I went to mitcham (they admit under bubs name, so not useful to you)

That was not my experience at all. When I was there, of 12 mothers and babies, there were only four babies admitted. It is of course possible that they've changed this...

#14 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

I can't help with recommendations but it may be worth having a quick read up on things such as reflux, silent reflux, ear issues, enlarged tonsils and other things that can have a negative impact on sleep. If anything seems as though they may apply to your dd you can then discuss at your gp appointment and work on those things while you're on the wait list. Just to cover all bases.

Lack of sleep is so so awful.

#15 *Arabella*

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:10 PM

Masada was life-changing for us.

#16 SecretGarden

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

Depending on where you are in Victoria, Koo Wee Rup run a day stay program that you can self refer to. It’s bulk billed and was a real life saver for me, and plenty of people that I know. Give them a call, even just for some advice that may help in the meantime.

#17 onetrick

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:55 PM

View Postmandala, on 21 August 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

That was not my experience at all. When I was there, of 12 mothers and babies, there were only four babies admitted. It is of course possible that they've changed this...

Might be worth enquiring then? We had a nightmare runaround with admission, as my PHI was saying I hadn't registered DS at birth which is why I remembered it clearly. Lots of tears etc as I was clearly covered but he wasnt (due to an issue with my PHI provider- admin error on their behalf and he was covered from birth). All fixed up and we got to go, but it was a hellish few weeks on top of the nightmare of no sleep so not sure about others but I needed DS to be admitted.
Might depend on the reason for admission?

But could be worth talking to your doctor? I loved it there. As in actually enjoyed it... we were some of the first to use the newly renovated rooms with double beds :) so good! I may have sent DH home so I could sleep better lol
And the best bit was talking to other parents going through the same thing and cheering on each others wins. So good!

#18 MakesMeHappy

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:39 PM

i Called a couple today. Mitchum admit under your baby, so they are out. Masada have said if my health fund are happy to pay benefits for me instead of the baby then they are happy to admit me.

My next step is to call my PHI and ask but I wasn’t feeling strong enough today to handle if they said no. Might try and call first thing tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the input and responses. It all really helps

#19 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:36 PM

I’d ask Masada admin to ask your health fund for you.

They would know best how to spin it if needed, and would just be able to ask ‘do you cover code xyz’ on singles plan ‘abc’ without giving the fund a chance to argue that really it’s the baby who isn’t covered that you want this for.  

I’m a skeptic, never give bureaucracies a chance to stuff you up.

#20 eigne

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:03 PM

I am another Masada success story. Good luck, I really hope it works out for you.

#21 Mrs Zee

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

View Postmocha444, on 20 August 2019 - 08:30 PM, said:

Hi MakesMeHappy,

I know how it feels to be where you are. I just want to reassure you that all the things your baby is doing are normal, even though it is super hard. You are doing an amazing job 💖

I’d really recommend the Beyond Sleep Training Project Facebook group. You can post there for free advice on how to help everyone get more sleep. They have resources to help you understand if your sleep issues are normal infant sleep or something more. There are really useful units to read. They also have a list of providers that are truly gentle and can help if you feel you need some one on one guidance.

I hope you find the support you are needing and sending lots of hugs 🤗

This!

#22 Silver Girl

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:05 PM

I don’t have recent experience, but a few years ago I went to O’Connell. DH still refers to O’Connell as “the place with the fairy dust.” It wasn’t luxurious, but the staff were caring and dedicated. I managed a few naps while DS slept. It was wonderful not having to worry about the washing/dishes/meal preparation etc. It was a 4 night stay. It was fully Medicare funded with meals provided. They also have day stays.

A friend went to Masada around the same time. She was given the first night off, and given a sleeping pill to catch up on sleep. It was for 5 nights. From memory she was about $4000 out of pocket.

I met a doctor recently who was shocked that his wife was automatically given sleeping tablets at Masada.

Good luck OP. Sleep deprivation is tough, especially when you have other kids to care for.

#23 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:20 PM

Your friend must have paid full fee. My PHI paid everything bar internet access at Masada.

They do give you a sleeping pill the first night and look after the baby. It’s magic. And makes it possible to start paying attention what they teach the next day. Without the pill you keep waking up every hour or two because your own sleep patterns are so stuffed.

#24 lucky 2

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:42 PM

I went to O'Connell years ago with dd, it was supportive.
Your gp and chn are the right hp's to see.

As an aside, day and night bfing is within the range of normal for around  2/3 of babies 6 months of age, but 1.5-2 hrly sounds torturous!

I hope you get the help you need asap.

#25 MakesMeHappy

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:58 PM

View PostChaotic Pogo, on 21 August 2019 - 11:20 PM, said:

Your friend must have paid full fee. My PHI paid everything bar internet access at Masada.

They do give you a sleeping pill the first night and look after the baby. It’s magic. And makes it possible to start paying attention what they teach the next day. Without the pill you keep waking up every hour or two because your own sleep patterns are so stuffed.

My sleeping pattern is definitely stuffed up. My best block of sleep for the night is the first part, if I can get a solid 2 hours my body feels refreshed and then I am normally awake from her 10-10.30 feed until her next one.

After everything I have read I am leaning toward Masada but don’t want to get my hopes up

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.