Unswaddling help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nyahbee

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

This is the situation.
Baby Boy (5.5 months) has learnt to roll from back to front. (did it a couple of times today) I swaddle him to sleep.
Now he is also a dummy baby. He only uses it to fall asleep at this point, if it falls out during the night he doesn't care.
Now.
This issue is.
Unswaddling him let's his hands take away the dummy and he gets annoyed because he can't successfully put it back in himself.  This of course sends him into tantrum time. The patterns always repeats. Dummy goes in, hands take it away, dummy goes in, hand takes it away etc etc. I've tried holding him down to minimise the wiggles but he's very long and deceptively strong and I can't always prevent the inevitable.
If anyone has experienced this and has ANY suggestions that would be Stella.

#2 Living Type

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

Instead of putting the dummy in his mouth for him, try guiding his hand with the dummy back to his mouth.  Teach him to put his dummy pack in. I did this with my little one a few years ago now and it worked so much in the end he was happy just to hold the dummy. I think he was a few months older though

#3 Lou-bags

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:23 PM

My DS2 did this also. I ended up putting him to sleep with one dummy in his mouth and another in his hands. It helped.

I tried to teach him to put his back in but he was always too worked up to do it. I do wonder if I should have persisted though...

#4 quartz85

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:26 PM

I'd give mine a couple of extra dummies to hold.

#5 rowd

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

I went cold turkey on the dummies when this started happening... At that age it is pretty easy to just stop if you want to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.