Compact SUVs

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:11 AM

can anyone recommend or not recommend a Compact SUV?

I am willing to consider all cars after 2017 models.

Would like to spend $25,000 or under but could go to $30,000.

Models looked at are the Holden Trax, Honda HRV.

Any ideas on what my new car should be?

There is just my DS aged 10 and I. No need for a large SUV and I won’t be towing.

I’m in Melbourne if that helps for car yards.

#2 Sentient Puddle

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:15 AM

I just purchased a new Subaru xv for the top end of your budget.  Absolutely love it. They don't seem to get much cheaper for a relatively new used one though.

#3 gracie1978

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:22 AM

Base model Tiguan 2017 can be bought for under 25k.  It's medium.

Most of the time it's just me.  Very comfortable in the back seat and no reduced visabity like some small SUV's

Its surrounded by parking sensors and has a huge reversing camera.  Easier to drive than my corolla.

#4 rjflc69

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

Can't go wrong with a Toyota Rav 4 :)

#5 IamtheMumma

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:10 AM

Mitsubishi Outlander?

#6 EmmDasher

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

We love our Mitsubishi ASX. We have the top petrol model and it was around the top of your budget so I assume entry model would be well within. Great car!

#7 Jenflea

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

I love my Subaru XV!

#8 gracie1978

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

My friend has a Qashqai and it's a nice size.

#9 premmie

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV.

#10 Nasty Poobah

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

I bought a 2013 AWD RAV 4 earlier this year with only 58,000 on the clock for $20,000. It's not a base model, but not top of the range either.

In terms of models, it's a current generation RAV 4 and 2019 is likely to be the last year of this generation. It's probably worth weighing up mileage vs age when you're looking.

It's brilliant -- boot space isn't huge but the rear seats fold flat (half if necessary) so it's got quite a good cargo capacity.

The only downsides are a wider turning circle and less vision when reversing -- but these are issues with all SUVs as far as I'm aware. I have rear parking sensors which are great but on balance I'd prefer a reversing camera and may still have one fitted (and FWIW I don't generally have issues with reversing or parking in tight spots, but I had a tiny Honda Civic previously and I could back that in anywhere generally on the first try and it had great visibility so this has been a change).

#11 EmmDasher

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

Is a RAV, Outlander, CRV etc really in the compact class? I’ve always thought of them as pretty big family vehicles. No quibble with them being good cars but they’re quite large. They were all too big for our garage when we were looking.

#12 AdelTwins

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

The Outlander is a medium size. Mitsubishi have the ASX in the small SUV size.

#13 gettin my fance on

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

What about a Suzuki S-Cross or Vitara?

Suzuki have been really reliable for us.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

If its just the two of you & no towing why the SUV?

#15 Murderino

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:37 PM

OP might be like me and need height. I have a Corolla and love it but I have a recurring back issue and when it’s happening I struggle up and down out of the car.

My next car will be something like a Toyota C-HR or Nissan Juke so small but high set.

#16 dadwasathome

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:39 PM

View PostNasty Poobah, on 22 August 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

In terms of models, it's a current generation RAV 4 and 2019 is likely to be the last year of this generation.

The new series RAV4 is already on sale.

Is there a particular reason why you want a small SUV? Are there specific things you need it for? Are you most interested in looks, interior design and comfort, reliability or maintenance costs? Where are you going to mostly be driving?

There are so many options these days....

#17 Nasty Poobah

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

View Postdadwasathome, on 22 August 2019 - 12:39 PM, said:

The new series RAV4 is already on sale.

Is there a particular reason why you want a small SUV? Are there specific things you need it for? Are you most interested in looks, interior design and comfort, reliability or maintenance costs? Where are you going to mostly be driving?

There are so many options these days....

Ah, serves me right for believing motoring writers a few months back ::D:

#18 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostMurderino, on 22 August 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

OP might be like me and need height. I have a Corolla and love it but I have a recurring back issue and when it’s happening I struggle up and down out of the car.

My next car will be something like a Toyota C-HR or Nissan Juke so small but high set.

True, i was just thinking of running costs being so much higher than with a normal sedan.

#19 aluminium

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:50 PM

View Postgracie1978, on 22 August 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

My friend has a Qashqai and it's a nice size.

We hired one of these, called a Rogue (in USA/Canada), earlier this year for 5-weeks. It was fabulous. Great to drive, economical on fuel. Enough boot room for our suitcases. I really liked it.

#20 Nasty Poobah

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 22 August 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

Is a RAV, Outlander, CRV etc really in the compact class? I’ve always thought of them as pretty big family vehicles. No quibble with them being good cars but they’re quite large. They were all too big for our garage when we were looking.

How small is your garage?!

The RAV 4 is strictly medium size I believe (it's certainly not large, but it does have height which I think makes its footprint look larger), but when I looked at what were classed as small SUVs I wondered why anyone would bother.

TBH if the Corolla didn't have a really intrusive high display screen, all-black interior and tiny tiny tiny rear windows then I would have bought a new one -- but it felt like being in a tiny black coffin. I do also like the height of the RAV 4 since I have back issues.

#21 Beancat

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:08 PM

I have a kia sportage
Its ok.  It does the job and is a good size.  It does feel cheap though compared to other cars I have had.  I don't love it or hate it

#22 EmmDasher

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

It wasn’t that small, 4.8- 5m deep thereabouts. Just standard apartment size. If we’d emptied it (eg no bike sitting at the end) we could have just squeezed one in but you couldn’t have walked around the front or back or open the boot. So I guess it would technically fit but it wasn’t particularly practical.

Edited by EmmDasher, 22 August 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#23 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:11 PM

The problem is the Mazda 3s, Honda Civics etc are all going for the "hot hatch" sports look. They are lower, less interior head room, small backseats. The car designers are really pushing for people who don't want a hot hatch towards the compact suvs such as Mazda CX3 etc.
My aunt and uncle love their CX3 but I am unsure about the price. Rumour has it, car manufacturers are going to drop the compact hatches such as Mazda 2 etc as they are not selling so well.

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle, 22 August 2019 - 02:12 PM.

#24 BornToLove

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

When we got our new compact SUV last year we looked at the X1, Subaru xv, VW Tiguan, and Audi Q2.

I really liked driving the xv and the price was good. I also like the VW. We ended up with the Q2 but mostly because DH wanted the Audi brand (eye roll here).

#25 eve13

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

We have Hyandai Kona, and like it a lot.. small SUV, fun and under 25k. Worth checking out

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.