Kitchen Aid - which one?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 FeralZombieMum

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:50 PM

I've longed for a Kitchen Aid for about 8 years now. My hand mixer died about 6 years ago and I never replaced it.

I'm (reluctantly) doing some overtime in a different role, and as this extra money is 'bonus' money, I thought I would use some of what I will be earning to treat myself - I figure I deserve a reward for doing a role I really really hate. ;)

The problem is - I don't know which model to buy.

For those that own a Kitchen Aid, what model do you have - do you recommend it, or would you go for a different one?

#2 MakesMeHappy

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:59 PM

I didn’t comment this is the other thread because I thought it was insensitive but that thread has now made me dream about how much I want a kitchen aide.. that I also don’t have the income to afford!

Sorry that’s not help OP! But I will be following along to find out the best model

#3 MurderBritches

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

I have an Artisan in Baby Pink. Love my KA!!

#4 FeralZombieMum

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

View PostMakesMeHappy, on 23 August 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

Sorry that’s not help OP! But I will be following along to find out the best model

I hope we figure it out together.

I am leaning towards the KSM160 Artisan Stand Mixer - but I think that's because it has 2 bowls. ;)

#5 FeralZombieMum

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:16 PM

View PostMurderBritches, on 23 August 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:

I have an Artisan in Baby Pink. Love my KA!!

What model Number?

#6 AdelTwins

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:16 PM

I have an artisan with 2 different sized metal bowls and the pouring shield. I have purchased an extra beater with the “flex edge” so it scrapes the bowl for me.

That’s plenty for me at the moment. The extra bowl is handy so I don’t have to wash in between making a cake and the icing. The metal bowls are light, easy to clean and scrape.

It looks like this:
https://www.myer.com...ck-5ksm160psaob

#7 FeralZombieMum

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

View PostAdelTwins, on 23 August 2019 - 10:16 PM, said:

The extra bowl is handy so I don’t have to wash in between making a cake and the icing.

Excellent point! I definitely need 2 bowls for that very reason.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:24 PM

I’d get this one, because it seems to be the only model that comes in this colour
https://www.kitchenw...r-Raspberry-Ice

#9 FeralZombieMum

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:30 PM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 23 August 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

I’d get this one, because it seems to be the only model that comes in this colour
https://www.kitchenw...r-Raspberry-Ice

I do love that colour, and it's a contender just for the colour.

Is there a smaller bowl I could buy as well?

Are the bowls universal, or are they model specific?

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:34 PM

View PostFeralZombieMum, on 23 August 2019 - 10:30 PM, said:

I do love that colour, and it's a contender just for the colour.

Is there a smaller bowl I could buy as well?

Are the bowls universal, or are they model specific?
That one has 2 different sized bowls, but the small one is still 2.8L. I don’t think I’ll ever bake enough to justify having it, but I do love the colour!

#11 FeralZombieMum

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:39 PM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 23 August 2019 - 10:34 PM, said:

That one has 2 different sized bowls, but the small one is still 2.8L. I don’t think I’ll ever bake enough to justify having it, but I do love the colour!

I didn't scroll down far enough to see the 2 bowls. Just mesmerized by the colour. :wub:

#12 hunter4

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:47 PM

I have the professional 5 Plus and I do love it.  It was a gift so I didn't choose the specific type and I don't necessarily have anything to compare it to but I do use it a lot.

The main thing is that it is very heavy and has to sit out on my counter at all times because I am not moving it into and out of a cupboard.  The only other downside is it's really for large batches and doesn't do well with small batches.  

Having said that you can buy a smaller bowl and the scraper beaters to help out this issues - they are currently on my christmas wish list.

Because it's always sitting on my counter I do use it quite a bit, I just need a second bowl and I'll be great.

#13 bikingbubs

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:51 PM

Will you use afterpay to purchase it? 😐😋😬

#14 laridae

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:51 PM

I have a standard sized one with a tilt head in Plumberry, which is a dark purple colour. Not sure on the model number but it was bought a few years ago now. Doesn't look like they still sell it. It came with a glass bowl and a scraper beater as well as the usual beaters.
Additionally I've bought an extra, smaller, metal bowl, and a few attachments. I tend to get myself a new attachment every year or so - my latest is the sifter and scale which has been quite useful.

While I like the glass bowl and it looks nice, I think the metal ones are more practical. The glass is very heavy, and it hurts my arm holding it in one had and scraping mix out with the other. If it broke I'd replace it with a metal one.

I'd also consider if you are getting any other KA appliances when choosing colour. I got the plumberry as I liked it, but nothing else comes in that colour. Then I bought a blender and it was raspberry ice. Finally I got a cook processor and went for the grey!

#15 IamOzgirl

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:58 PM

View PostAdelTwins, on 23 August 2019 - 10:16 PM, said:

I have an artisan with 2 different sized metal bowls and the pouring shield. I have purchased an extra beater with the “flex edge” so it scrapes the bowl for me.

That’s plenty for me at the moment. The extra bowl is handy so I don’t have to wash in between making a cake and the icing. The metal bowls are light, easy to clean and scrape.

It looks like this:
https://www.myer.com...ck-5ksm160psaob

I fell for the flex edge beater too. But you dont/shouldn't need it.

The main blades should do it for you when you adjust the head of the KA.

#16 can'tstayaway

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:59 PM

How much will you use it?  Do you bake a lot?  Or more bread kneading?

I’ve had an Artisan and now have the model up but not the lever bowl one.  Hmm, the name escapes me right now but I’ll check tomorrow. I have borrowed a professional one too.

I enjoy baking and will bake a couple of times a week. I think the mini is too small to justify the bench space it takes up and I think they’re too cumbersome to move each time I want to use it. I use the small hand held bearer for smaller quantities.

The Artisan was fine and solid for a number of years but eventually the gears gave out. I didn’t overload it by kneading more than 500g of flour at a time but it did get regular use. I used to make 2-3 batches of pizza dough at least once a week as well as baking cakes and cookies.

The professional and the lever bowl ones are too big for my usual quantities. I do have a tower oven and could bake bulk batches but I generally prefer to just make smaller, fresh batches more often. The big machines can’t do smaller quantities as well. If I do need to larger quantities, I will make more batches and I find my recipes seem to work better in the quantities given rather than scaling up.

The machine I have, can knead 1kg of flour dough which means the usual 500g batches is light work. It takes no time to whisk the butter and sugar which is the base of so many recipes. I think it can fit the same size bowl as the Artisan and it looks pretty much the same.  It does cost more but I’ve noticed Myer often have them on sale.

DH loves the pasta attachment but I’m on that keen on any of the other attachments.

The smaller bowl sits inside the big bowl. Just because the bowl has a certain capacity, it doesn’t mean you have to fill it up. I like the extra height compared to say, a glass Pyrex bowl I use with the hand held beaters. It means less flour or sugar being kicked out of the bowl and making a mess.

#17 -Emissary-

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:03 PM

DH bought the classic one for about $300 on sale a while back.

It plain white suited our kitchen as it matches with our other appliances.

TBH I was a bit perplexed as to why it cost so much but my opinion shouldn’t and didn’t count for much as I don’t cook or bake and it makes DH happy.

Edited by -Emissary-, 23 August 2019 - 11:04 PM.

#18 ali-song

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:05 PM

View Posthunter4, on 23 August 2019 - 10:47 PM, said:

I have the professional 5 Plus and I do love it.  It was a gift so I didn't choose the specific type and I don't necessarily have anything to compare it to but I do use it a lot.

The main thing is that it is very heavy and has to sit out on my counter at all times because I am not moving it into and out of a cupboard.  The only other downside is it's really for large batches and doesn't do well with small batches.  

Having said that you can buy a smaller bowl and the scraper beaters to help out this issues - they are currently on my christmas wish list.

Because it's always sitting on my counter I do use it quite a bit, I just need a second bowl and I'll be great.

I have this one, or perhaps a Professional 600? With bowl lift. I agree, it’s enormous and very heavy, but it’s great because I can do a double cake batch. I have the scraper beater, and rarely use anything else. It’s in a boring dark grey, and I’ve had it almost 20 years. Absolute workhorse.

I also have a Mini, which is my first choice for anything smaller. It’s definitely less powerful, but much quieter and lighter. It happily made an 8 egg white meringue today, so it’s not ridiculously small. It’s a very pretty honeydew.

#19 Claudia Jean

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:32 AM

I have the KSM 150 which is great but recently was buying one for my SIL and found that's mostly been replaced by the KSM160 (2 bowls but sane machine). Highly recommend.  I use it for cakes, scones and dough 2-3 times a week.  I've had mine for 10 years and it still runs like a dream.  It sits on my bench and every time I look at it, it makes me happy. I have handheld beaters too and they're crappy by comparison, I only use them when I need to beat something over the stove.

#20 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

If space is an issue, the small Kitchen Aid mixer is good, plus all the attachments for the bigger machines fit as well.

#21 Lunafreya

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:31 AM

I think mine is a professional, haven’t used it in ages though. But it kneads bread very well, whips cream and makes great meringue. I made mousse with it with several types, Dark and pink white chocolate

#22 Future-self

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

I have the Artisan 160 and apart from the colour range I really can’t see the difference between that and the 177 that would justify spending an extra$100

I love mine, I bake pretty regularly - bread using the dough hook, muffins, scrolls, cakes and also have the spiraliser attachment for making zucchini spirals.

TBH i never  use the second small bowl. Maybe once to make some extra icing in a different colour when I was doing a two tone cake?

I got a big tax refund about 5 years ago and that was what I decided to treat myself/the family too ;)

Edited by Future-self, 24 August 2019 - 09:02 AM.

#23 FeralZombieMum

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

View Postbikingbubs, on 23 August 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

Will you use afterpay to purchase it? 😐😋😬
:lol:

I'll actually pay via credit card to earn reward points. Won't buy one until I have the cash though.

View Postlaridae, on 23 August 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

I'd also consider if you are getting any other KA appliances when choosing colour. I got the plumberry as I liked it, but nothing else comes in that colour. Then I bought a blender and it was raspberry ice. Finally I got a cook processor and went for the grey!

Plumberry is gorgeous. I have thought about the other KA appliances for some time, and I won't be getting them. Almost everything else we have is stainless steel.

View Postcan, on 23 August 2019 - 10:59 PM, said:

How much will you use it?  Do you bake a lot?  Or more bread kneading?

The plan is to bake a lot. I now have 2 ovens to assist with this.
I don't know if I will be using it to knead as I have a breadmaker and recently got a thermomix. We only use gluten free flours to bake at home, so no kneading of normal breads. I also have a pasta machine, so not sure if I will get the KA pasta attachment.

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 24 August 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

If space is an issue, the small Kitchen Aid mixer is good, plus all the attachments for the bigger machines fit as well.

Fortunately space isn't an issue. We have a large butlers pantry - which is only partly fitted out as I wanted to live in the new house for a while to figure out what I needed. I am not sure if the KA will live in the butlers pantry, or be in the main kitchen, but it will live on a bench, and won't need to be put away all the time. I want it to be a feature.

#24 can'tstayaway

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

The Artisan is pretty good then if you don’t need extra oomph for attachments or kneading. I have to admit I was kinda happy when the gears went on my Artisan because it meant I could choose a new colour :blush:

#25 Moukmouk

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

Mines more than a few years old now. I had to check what model number it is - KSM156. It’s great.DH and DD bake a lot and love it. I have it in candy apple red and have the matching stick blender as well. It is heavy so it lives on the bench.
Peters of Kensington always have them on sale OP, and their delivery is usually pretty good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.