Are some hair straighteners really better?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Feral33

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

Hair straighteners: big range in price.

Do you find that some are really better than others?

Any recommendations?

#2 kimasa

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:33 AM

I have big hair. Really big hair. Wiry and tight ringlets and it's so thick.

Trust me. Kmart $20 straightener.

#3 lizzzard

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:02 AM

I have to say, I have a cheap titanium one which seems to work just as well if not better than my GHD! The GHD is *apparently* gentler because it’s ceramic. Not sure if that’s just marketing spin but I feel like my hair doesn’t ‘heat up’ as much when I use it versus the titanium one (which means it isn’t as quick either). I have fine hair though, and use it every day, so am happy with the GHD.

#4 *Spikey*

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

DD has wiry, wavy hair that gets very "poofy" (her words). She got a Daphne straightener last Christmas, and it works well for her. Added bonus, she's only 13 and it's pretty safe for her to use as it works like a brush rather than the traditional straighteners.

#5 OliviaVivian

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:32 PM

I’ve had a cheapy, ($40) a mid ($110) range and a ghd and I say none compare to the ghd. It’s faster, smoother, and also just easier to use.

#6 #YKG

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:44 PM

Yes some are definitely better than others. GHD are so bad now since the original owners sold. Wouldn’t touch them, if you want to spend $$$ forget GHD and get a cloud 9.

Some straightens do better with curly hair, others for course, thin, thick etc. I bought myself a $20 straightening brush from Kmart, honestly better than my hair straightener. Just to add I have wavy & fluffy hair, think floof dog hair.

Edited by #YKG, 24 August 2019 - 01:45 PM.

#7 Feral33

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:29 PM

thanks all! do you think the wide plate ones are good? or are they difficult to manoeuvre ?

#8 AdelTwins

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

Thin plate ones can be used to straighten and curl.

ETA - I have the older style GHD and they are still going after many years. I have heard similar to other PPs and have been recommended Cloud 9 when this set eventually stop working.

Edited by AdelTwins, 24 August 2019 - 03:00 PM.

#9 Flaxen

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

My really old ghd (probably 15/16 years old) had broke earlier this year. I used a cheaper $70 one that I had for travel in the meantime, it sufficed but it pulled at my hair, and it damaged it quite a bit too, so I researched for a better one.

I replaced it with a Muk 230 IR, got it for $150 on sale. Very happy and reccomend to anyone.

#10 Let-it-go

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:17 PM

View PostAdelTwins, on 24 August 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

ETA - I have the older style GHD and they are still going after many years. I have heard similar to other PPs and have been recommended Cloud 9 when this set eventually stop working.

So do I.  I bought them when I lived in the UK so pre 2005 (I think 2003 is when I got them).  Still going strong even with an adaptor for the UK plug.  I’ll be heartbroken when they finally die.

#11 -Emissary-

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

I have a GHD from 2010 and it’s still going strong.

My hair is naturally straight though so the only time I really use it is when I have bed head and want to leave my hair down.

I don’t know if I’m going to replace it with an expensive one when it dies but it has been worth every cent.

#12 maurie

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

I bought a Muk about 12 months ago, my hairdresser recommended it - it's really good.   Had a cheapy before that and it was ok, but nowhere near as sooth and quick as the Muk.

#13 TrixieBelden

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:06 PM

I have a fancy one and bitterly regret throwing out my $30 Remington one from big w before actually using the fancy one. It worked much better for my thick wavy hair.

#14 NannyPlum

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

View Post#YKG, on 24 August 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

Yes some are definitely better than others. GHD are so bad now since the original owners sold. Wouldn’t touch them, if you want to spend $$$ forget GHD and get a cloud 9.

Some straightens do better with curly hair, others for course, thin, thick etc. I bought myself a $20 straightening brush from Kmart, honestly better than my hair straightener. Just to add I have wavy & fluffy hair, think floof dog hair.

OMG I got a new GHD and it's horrible. Doesn't seem to straight properly or get hot enough? I thought I was doing something weird and went back to using my old GHD from 2011...now I'm wondering if that's why

#15 #YKG

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

View PostNannyPlum, on 24 August 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

OMG I got a new GHD and it's horrible. Doesn't seem to straight properly or get hot enough? I thought I was doing something weird and went back to using my old GHD from 2011...now I'm wondering if that's why

Nope you’re not doing anything wrong or weird, it’s the straightener. GHD’s from 2014/2015 back are great, any after are so bad. You know they are bad when not even hair house warehouse can move them with discount. My local still has the 2017 limited edition ones in stock (a lot of them)

#16 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

Yes I find you get a better result from the better brands. Its actually better for it to be hotter and on the hair for less time. Repeat runs of a lower temp straightener will do more damage.

#17 Chocolate Addict

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:50 PM

I have a MUK, so do most of my friends. lol

I have tried other ones but this one is best. I was tossing up between MUK and Cloud 9 but the hairdresser said MUK was better.

GHD is crap these days,they sold the company and now it is cheaply made rubbish.

#18 First@35

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:35 PM

I still use my GHD from 2006. It's still perfect and works brilliantly.

#19 eachschoolholidays

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

Yes. I have the GHD platinum and I love it. It has three heating sections in each plate and it worth every penny (from someone who has long, thick, wavy hair)

#20 OliviaVivian

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

View PostOliviaVivian, on 24 August 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

I’ve had a cheapy, ($40) a mid ($110) range and a ghd and I say none compare to the ghd. It’s faster, smoother, and also just easier to use.

Hmmm should add mine is a 2010 thin one. Sounds like the later models aren’t so great...???!

#21 EmmDasher

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:32 PM

I have a wide plate GHD that’s 10 years old and a standard one that’s 5-6 years old. Both are great and better than the cheapies I used to have. Wide plate is good for thick, long hair (you get through the volume faster). You can’t really curl with the wide plate though. I got the narrower one when I had shorter hair and a fringe and I like being able to curl.

#22 red_squirrel

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:42 PM

I have very thin hair so it is very easy to straighten.

All do the job for me. However the more expensive ones such as ghd do it much faster. As a consequence my hair gets less fried as it’s not in contact anywhere as long. I imagine this only gets amplified the thicker the hair.

Also ones like ghd will last and cheap ones from Kmart say won’t so the price works out the same over ten years except one is much better.

#23 Odd-1-Out

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:29 AM

I have an old GHD from 2005/6? and it is still going strong!

#24 Apple14

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:46 AM

Another with an old ghd - 2006 maybe?!? Still going after all this time. Was given a new ghd 2016 ad it’s crap and to be honest I don’t even know where it is now. I assume it’s still in my house lol
Cloud 9 have a good reputation. But so do some of the super cheap ones. Good luck. I’m not looking forward to the day my old faithful dies.

#25 400

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:33 AM

It only just occurred to me reading this that my ghd is a good 15 years old. It’s so reliable and perfect that I still see it as my “new, expensive straightener”. I remember forking our as a poor student and thinking that it better be worth it, safe to say it was!

Shame that they are crappy quality now. I hope mine never dies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.