Climate change is a myth

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

Those among us who believe climate change is a myth - would any of you be willing to tell us why you are not convinced?

#2 BECZ

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:25 PM

Because they still had to turn their heater on this winter!

I know it's not what you're asking for, but I would really love to hear a logical reason.

I seriously can't believe that anybody could honestly believe that it doesn't exist.

#3 foom

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:43 PM

My mum doesn't believe it. She can't see the difference in scientific consensus now, and the what was said about the impending ice age in the? 70s?  As far as she is concerned scientists have cried wolf before so why would we risk our economy/jobs on what's likely to turn out to be wrong like it was last time.

#4 Literary Lemur

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:23 PM

Good question. Iv also wondered what exactly would non believers need to witness to change their mind and believe?

Edited by Literary Lemur, 24 August 2019 - 11:23 PM.

#5 (feral)epg

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:29 PM

- Alan Jones said so
- carbon levels were as high as this before trees were invented and everything turned out fine then
- all those cashed up scientists and NGO's are just in it to make a buck
- if it was real that nice Mr Trump would do something about it
- it doesn't matter anyway because the rapture is coming and God will scoop me and my family up to heaven with all the good pentecostals
- Australia is only the worlds 3rd largest exporter of fossil fuels so it's not like we could make a difference
- coral looks nicer white

#6 (feral)epg

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:33 PM

View PostLiterary Lemur, on 24 August 2019 - 11:23 PM, said:

Good question. Iv also wondered what exactly would non believers need to witness to change their mind and believe?

We've just recorded the worlds hottest month ever.  EVER.
We've just had the 4 hottest years ever recorded.

Those people who don't believe it now will not ever believe it.

#7 PatG

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:15 AM

View Post(feral)epg, on 24 August 2019 - 11:33 PM, said:

Note: I'm not a climate change denier

Those two statements do not actually have any real meaning on their own in the context of climate change.

The ten years following 1998 were cooler than 98 was. Doesn't mean that climate change only stated happening in 2009.

Climate is a long term thing.

#8 MooGuru

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:58 AM

View Post(feral)epg, on 24 August 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:

- Alan Jones said so
- carbon levels were as high as this before trees were invented and everything turned out fine then
- all those cashed up scientists and NGO's are just in it to make a buck
- if it was real that nice Mr Trump would do something about it
- it doesn't matter anyway because the rapture is coming and God will scoop me and my family up to heaven with all the good pentecostals
- Australia is only the worlds 3rd largest exporter of fossil fuels so it's not like we could make a difference
- coral looks nicer white

The person I know has said variations of these things.
Basically climate change is a conspiracy being used by the militant far left to create fear among the uneducated as part of their plan to try and force communism on everyone by destroying the livelihoods of decent hard working people in mining etc.

Eta - that's what they say not what I think

Edited by MooGuru, 25 August 2019 - 01:58 AM.

#9 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:37 AM

Well, this is a response that we got from one of DHs relatives:

I believe that climate change is real. We live on a living organism that adapts. Of course the environment is going to change. What I have to question is why do we not have the animals and plants left in the world that were around in the Jurassic period? There was more carbon in the air then and the planet was healthier. But now it’s dying and we have less carbon in the environment? Why can’t the scientists explain that?

#10 PsySquirrel

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:42 AM

My dad thinks that there is nothing we can do about it because the world goes through cycles of greenhouse-ice ages. As we are currently in an ice age, it was only a matter of time before it shifted to a greenhouse. He just brushes off any arguments about rates of CO2 concentration increases etc.

#11 BadCat

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:24 AM

My mum says "the head scientists" say it's not real.

When pushed on who on earth "the head scientists" are she is vague and changes the subject.  It's as though she thinks science is an organisation and science has a boss.

I asked her once if she was diagnosed with cancer and she went to a hundred doctors and 97 of them diagnosed her with cancer and 3 said it was probably just a cold, would she seek treatment for cancer.  She said it depended on who the doctors were.

Essentially she believes whatever she hears Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt say.  Because it's easier than asking questions.

I didn't really think anyone here would admit to it publicly.  It's rare to find a denier who is willing to actually discuss it.  And of course I get that.  It would feel to them like a pile on because most people accept climate science as our prime source of actual knowledge on the subject and they would be severely outnumbered.

#12 Crombek

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:36 AM

I don’t think I know any flat out deniers, but I do know a number of people who see it as simply an irrelevant concern. They’ve worked hard & sacrificed their whole lives, it’s their turn to live how & when they want. Besides, they’ll be well dead before it gets really bad.

Basically it’s someone else’s problem.

#13 AnythingGoes

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

The ILs seem to be of the opinion that climate change is real but is part of a natural greenhouse - ice age cycle and nothing to do with humans so no point in changing behaviors.

#14 kimasa

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostCrombek, on 25 August 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

I don’t think I know any flat out deniers, but I do know a number of people who see it as simply an irrelevant concern. They’ve worked hard & sacrificed their whole lives, it’s their turn to live how & when they want. Besides, they’ll be well dead before it gets really bad.

Basically it’s someone else’s problem.

I work with someone like this. I've tried the "But it will be your grandson's problem" angle on her and she doesn't seem to care too much about that either.

Mind you, I'm never the one bringing it up, the conversation usually starts with her poking fun at mime or someone else's keep cup, followed up with obnoxiously loud sipping and an over-dramatic bin placement of her cafe cup and an announcement that she has no dishes to wash.

It's just weird.

#15 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

I totally agree with climate change
HOWEVER I also studied geology and quaternary analysis. I did a whole paper about analysis of ice cores, soil layering and gas analysis of rock cores.
The Earth's climate has been through huge changes over time. Ice ages, hot ages, pole reversals etc. Climate change is a natural phenomenon.
But humans and their activities are making climate change happen faster than in previous centuries.
Of course dome people will take that as "climate change is natural and we just have to roll with it".

#16 molinero

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

I believe in anthropogenic climate change on a macro level.

I also believe in human-induced climate change on a micro level. Abuse local river systems and local forests, put down a whole heap of cement for a new city, and you will get localised climate impacts resulting in everything from poor water security and soil performance, increased flooding impacts as stormwaters have nowhere to go, and the experience of localised temperature increases due to urban heat island effect.

When both the macro and micro level climate impacts clash, significant weather events can seem even greater than if they were just caused by the macro or just by the micro.

#17 Murderino

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

View Post(feral)epg, on 24 August 2019 - 11:33 PM, said:

Noting PPs point about climate v. weather the deniers have this covered in Australia - the BOM changed the records from the past to make it look like it’s hotter now. It’s important to note they don’t mention the “changed records” when it comes to those ten coldest years the PP mentioned.

#18 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

-the liberal party don’t believe in it.
- they are a party of good economic managers - mainly successful businessmen who must be respected and must be right- they would not let the planet burn on their watch. the scientists are wrong and were lectured by infiltrated marxists at university. everyone knows this.

- so take greenland and iceland - you would think by their names that greenland is green and iceland is icy right! but no - not now. but they used to be. see - those two counties have flipped - greenland used to have luscious green forests, and iceland was just ice, butndie to normal fluctuations in temperature it changed over time. this is normal.

- if the climate is changing - which we  don’t concede - but if it is - nothing humans do is causing that, or can change that - so - we should just continue doing what we are doing. burning coal and making money.

#19 jayskette

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:52 AM

Santa Claus is also a myth. Yet thousands of millions of people around the world continue it. Just imagine what will happen if it is actually true!

#20 BadCat

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

:huh:   You've lost me...

Edited by BadCat, 25 August 2019 - 09:57 AM.

#21 #YKG

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

Climate change has been a slow burn, it’s been that thing that’s happened slowly over time, the subtle changes ignored then people suddenly notice all at once.

Our weather is so unpredictable world wide, Melbourne has the “4 seasons one day” reputation...that is climate change.

#22 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:19 AM

Hang on, Melbourne has 4 seasons in one day due to it’s geographic location, which means we get a lot of cold fronts etc. that’s not climate change, it’s always been like that.

Clime change will probably make it more extreme and maybe cause more droughts, but it’s always had changeable weather.

#23 Cerridwen

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:49 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 25 August 2019 - 09:01 AM, said:

I totally agree with climate change
HOWEVER I also studied geology and quaternary analysis. I did a whole paper about analysis of ice cores, soil layering and gas analysis of rock cores.
The Earth's climate has been through huge changes over time. Ice ages, hot ages, pole reversals etc. Climate change is a natural phenomenon.
But humans and their activities are making climate change happen faster than in previous centuries.
Of course dome people will take that as "climate change is natural and we just have to roll with it".

This is what I think.

Can we do anything about it now that will see it slow down again? Is it too little, to late? Is the damage already done? Do we really have enough time to change our habits?

#24 *Spikey*

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

The stats suggest that there is a 50-200 year lag time between acting and significant effect. So, if we act now, we can reduce the rate of increase, and the time it takes to reverse or undo some of it will be shorter.

I think people have the will, our politicians however are heavily financially invested in those industries that are doomed, if we act collectively. We need the next gen politicians now - ones who aren't heavily invested in coal, petroleum, gas and mining. Oh, and who recognise that in a country that has regular severe droughts, farming practices that are high in water use have got to go.

#25 (feral)epg

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

View PostCerridwen, on 25 August 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

This is what I think.

Can we do anything about it now that will see it slow down again? Is it too little, to late? Is the damage already done? Do we really have enough time to change our habits?

The only time you can't make a difference is when you're dead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.