What is considered “sudden or excessive weight gain”?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JomoMum

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:54 AM

It’s been 6 years since my first pregnancy so I feel like I’ve forgotten how it all went the first time, forgive me if I’m being a worry wart.

I’m 21w and have gained 6kg, but started with a BMI of 28 so am trying to be mindful of gaining too much this time, for my own health.

I track my weight in an app every week or two, and I’ve gained 1.5 kg in 10 days .. to me this sounds like a lot. I don’t have any other concerning symptoms, other  than very slightly puffy ankles at the end of the day but they subside over night.

What would be considered sudden and excessive?

I’m really not obsessing over weight for superficial reasons. I have health conditions that will be exacerbated if I become too heavy, so I am just trying to be sensible and aim for a 12-15kg gain rather than the 23 I did first time around.

#2 rosie28

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

That doesn’t sound sudden or excessive to me, I’ve always struggled to gain weight in pregnancy (HG and severe MS make it a challenge) but when I do gain weight it has been 1-1.5kgs in a week. I’m 26w now and have gained 3kgs but it’s been in 2 x 1.5 in a week lots. Similar with my previous pregnancies.

#3 EsmeLennox

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

I think that’s fine during pregnancy. I can fluctuate that much in 24 hours!

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

That does not raise red flags to me, it sounds completely normal progression of weight gain half way through your pregnancy.

Sudden and excessive weight gain is used to describe overnight gain generally due to oedema that may occur with the onset of pre eclampsia......

#5 JomoMum

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:01 PM

Thank you all, definitely put my mind at ease.

And thank you STBG, I was hoping you might be able to respond.

Edited by JomoMum, 25 August 2019 - 02:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.