Cairns in January

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 curlin

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:15 PM

I am after some advice on people who have been to Cairns in January...
We are keen to do snorkeling in the barrier reef however is this possible in January? I

#2 bakesgirls

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:47 PM

Yes, we did it in January this year and in January last year. Snorkelling was great- visibility wasn't as far as it would be later in the year, but we could still see plenty. The weather was lovely- much better than it was in Sydney. It was a little humid, but not as bad as I'd imagined it would be. It rained every night, but the days were great.

#3 Lallalla

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

That depends on your feelings about humidity. It is very humid and doesn’t cool down over night but does not get the 40 degree highs you get elsewhere in Aus.

You can wear stinger suits to avoid irukanji etc when snorkelling in stinger season.

How are you planning to get there and how strict are you on dates? The (main) roads up that way often get cut off in cyclone season.

#4 bubskitkat

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

We went there at the end of January. The day trip to the reef was terrific but we got caught getting out by the cyclone.

#5 iwanttosleepin

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

Cairns in December/January/February can really suck.  We went between Christmas and new year last year ( we are near locals and it’s even wetter where we live) and it was dreadful the whole 5 days. I don’t think the reef boats were even going out.  Tourists couldnt rent cars because there was none available as everyone wanted to go up to the tablelands.  I wouldn’t risk it unless I had a good couple of weeks.

#6 iwanttosleepin

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

That said where we live it rained pretty much every day between December and August!  No more than a week of no rain.

#7 iwanttosleepin

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:18 PM

We swim in the ocean most of the year.  My kids wear stinger suits all year.  Except on very high risk days ( about 14 days a year) when they do not touch the water.

#8 2bundles

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:35 AM

We have done it.
Just allow double the amount of days to activities.  It does rain a lot!

The heat is not so much of an issue if you are in a hotel with a/c.  As others said it’s not super hot (mid 30s), just very humid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.