Do you tell acquaintances it’s your birthday?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Girl

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

DH did some volunteering recently, and it happened to be his birthday. He didn’t mention this to anyone there (all acquaintances only).

Another day, we ran into someone who had also been there, and through our conversation he worked out that it had been DH’s birthday. He asked why DH hadn’t said anything.

Do you advise people you don’t know well that it’s your birthday? I’m a bit like DH and keep it to myself - I don’t quite know how to bring it up, or whether I should.

#2 bikingbubs

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

Nope. I don't even like people I know well remembering my birthday!

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:57 PM

Im like your DH, i prefer to keep that info to myself.

Although i wonder if this might depend on being intorverted or extroverted. Im more introverted & am happy celebrating my birthday low key with my family (as long as there is a cake of some description im a happy camper).

#4 Apageintime

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

Absolutely..I tell anyone and everyone.

My husband is like yours though

#5 kimasa

I once wore a big "BIRTHDAY GIRL" badge to work and themed storytime around my birthday because I am a giant child.

#6 MakesMeHappy

If for some reason something came up about it I would mention it eg ‘what are you doing tonight?’ ‘Going out for tea, for my birthday’

But I wouldn’t bring it up out of nowhere

#7 Crombek

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:25 PM

No I don’t tell anybody. I also reserve the right to have a giant tantrum that no one realises by osmosis and showers me with attention and gifts.

#8 Astrocyte

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

Nope. I prefer it if nobody remembers my birthday and it can just pass as another day.

#9 Lime-Polka-Dot

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:33 PM

My birthday is 5 days after Christmas, I think I've had to work on my birthday once since I've been an adult (from memory it would have been my 18th. Can't remember if I said anything or not). Usually I've been on annual leave anyway.

Usually I'm at home and only around people who know it's my birthday anyway.

#10 seayork2002

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:34 PM

Not if I can help it

#11 Ellie bean

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

No. My husband tells everyone it’s his birthday and insists on having a day off etc, it makes me respect him less tbh!

#12 -Emissary-

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

No.

My close friends don’t even know when my birthday is. I keep it really quiet. I’m open about my birthday if asked but I don’t advertise it and definitely don’t make a fuss on the day. DH takes me out to dinner and that’s about as much celebration as we do.

The only friends who may know what month it is in are the ones I grew up with.

#13 Chchgirl

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

View Postbikingbubs, on 25 August 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

Nope. I don't even like people I know well remembering my birthday!

Same. And it's got nothing to do with my age, more to do with people not accepting that I don't like a fuss to be made. I wish people would just accept that!

#14 night jasmine

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:15 PM

No. I don’t like being the centre of attention. It’s nice when someone remembers but I don’t go around promoting it.

I tend to remember people’s birthdays so generally get them something, or text or whatever is appropriate depending on how close we are. It’s an annoying talent as it tends to disappoint me when certain people who should remember never do!

#15 newbub2014

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:30 PM

No, I hate my birthday and try to keep it to myself as much as possible. I hate that there’s a birthday calendar at work and they make a big deal with cake etc (I know they mean well, I just hate the attention).

#16 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

My 2 SILs both reckon you should get a birthday MONTH! And that everyone should be made to be nice to you for the whole month (which presumably means telling everyone that it’s your birthday) Lololol

#17 seayork2002

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostChchgirl, on 25 August 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

Same. And it's got nothing to do with my age, more to do with people not accepting that I don't like a fuss to be made. I wish people would just accept that!

This for me exactly

#18 Freddie'sMum

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

No.  I really don't like being the centre of attention - at all.

I am quite happy not to tell people about my birthday and I would think it strange that you "should" tell someone who is just an acquaintance that it's your birthday.  That seems bizarre to me.

I do wonder if it's an extrovert / introvert thing.  I am definitely an introvert eg our wedding - even though ours was years ago - I still didn't like everyone looking at me.  I didn't want to be the centre of attention. It makes me feel uncomfortable.  Whereas, I think for an extrovert / outgoing person - she would be disappointed if people weren't looking at her / fussing over her. That whole bridal "be a princess for a day" nonsense.

Edited by Freddie'sMum, 25 August 2019 - 07:45 PM.

#19 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

Yes, generally on restaurant bookings in case they are extra nice to us :p

#20 Dianalynch

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

No. And grown ups insisting on a birthday festival really irks me for some reason...

#21 IamtheMumma

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

Not unless I have too. I roster myself off on my birthday (and the kids). I have been asked to swap shifts or pick up an extra. I say no it is my birthday and my present to myself is I don't work.

This year, for some reason, I was a bit hurt that no one outside my immediate family remembered my birthday. In previous years, that has been my goal. I felt so sad until I talked myself into believing that if they didn't know, I haven't aged.

#22 71Cath

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

I prefer no fuss. Last year at work no one knew, so it was just another day.  I’m hoping I can do that again this year.

#23 Ayr

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

Not in that circumstance I wouldn't. I don't like to make a big deal of my birthday anyway, it's just another day to me. But no if I was doing a random day's work or volunteering or something with people in that situation I wouldn't. Close work colleagues maybe, and friends but not for people I hardly know or spend time with.

Edited by Ayr, 25 August 2019 - 08:16 PM.

#24 daisy007

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:19 PM

No way, I don’t tell anyone it’s my birthday.

#25 Hands Up

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

No particularly not with acquaintances.... you are just asking for attention..... I don’t have my birthday on Facebook and most people don’t know when it is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.