Who let the cats out.... meow meow meow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

We have moved back to our old land but the house is new and the house next door has also been knocked down.

My cats have been in the new house for 5 nights but they keep on meowing to get outside. Our council rules are cats must be inside before dusk.

How long do they need to stay inside before they can go out side to their own backyard?

My tonkinese meowing is driving me crazy! 4am singing is too much

#2 Jenflea

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

I just got a new kitten and the RSPCA said to keep them inside between 6 to 8 weeks.

I certainly wouldn't ever let a cat out between 6pm and 6 am.

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

Take them out for walks on a lead - you can get toy dog harnesses for the purpose.

We had an indoor cat that would desperately try to get out, but she was an idiot, and not safe outside.

Now that she gets taken for walks out there, her desperation to be out has all but gone - she only wants to be out if she hasn't been take for a walk for a few days.

You could build an outdoor enclosure for them.

#4 limakilo

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

Forever, or in an enclosure if you want them to live?
With all that change and movement going on, I wouldn't risk it.

#5 400

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:48 PM

A cat I had when we moved interstate managed to escape as soon as we arrived, while transferring from the car to the house (she was in a container that obviously was not as secure as we thought).

She disappeared for 24 hours and we expected never to see her again. Then she turned up at the back door, meowing to be let in like she had lived there her whole life and it was totally natural. She was comfortable ever since, it was like she had to suss out the neighbourhood first.

Totally not useful information at all, I apologise!

#6 MurderBritches

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:19 AM

Keep them in or invest in an outdoor cat enclosure with a doggy door. Cats should be indoor only unless on a lead.

#7 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:28 AM

We recently renovated (closer to knock down and restart) so moved out while it was being done. When we moved back the poor cat was so spooked. The environment was the same but house totally different. For the first few days he was much happier outside hiding under the deck which was new but at least in the same spot, or sitting on the deck chairs next door (once again familiar) he’s good now and happy with the new house.

#8 Chicken Pie

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:34 AM

Edited by Chicken Pie, 28 August 2019 - 11:19 AM.

#9 lozoodle

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

I got a cat from the RSPCA about 8 weeks back and they said give her about three months to get attached.... that lasted all of ten days until she worked out how to unlock the door handle on the glass door, slide it open, then find her way over the balcony out into the big wide world.

I was a bit stressy for an hour or two but she came trotting home when she felt like it and has now decided to come and go as she pleases, though generally just hangs around in the yard. She's definitely well aware of where she lives :)

Edited by lozoodle, 03 September 2019 - 01:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.