Woolworths mud cake

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

Mr 4 was very impressed with the $5 white chocolare mud cake from Woolies tonight

So much so that he has asked for it for his birthday next week.

I'm thinking I could get two and put them on top of each other with both icing tops in the middle.  Then cover it with butter cream frosting.  Put a few smarties on it and a big 5 candle and we are done?

Thoughts?  Giving the kid what he wants with a genius cheap and time saving back?  Or lazy ass Mum who needs to work out fondant...

#2 Ayr

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

I think that sounds great. I'd even just give him what he wants straight out of the packet!! But I'm lazy like that and if that's what they're asking for.....

#3 eponee

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

If that's what he wants, then go for it.

#4 gracie1978

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:25 PM

He likes the look of the betty Crocker strawberry icing
So I won't even have to make icing

Ayr it may well come to that , I'm 18w preggo with twins and usually I kill myself baking but I'm so damn tired I can't do my usual bakeathon.

#5 Ayr

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

Oh on that case definitely serve it as is. Still decorate with smarties or something but I'd take advantage of making it super easy this time around!

#6 Fossy

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:31 PM

There’s a whole Facebook group for Woolworths mud cake hacks, it’s a boom industry! Everyone’s a winner

Edited by Fossy, 25 August 2019 - 09:31 PM.

#7 gracie1978

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

I'll have to find it Fossy thanks for the tip!!

#8 gracie1978

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:35 PM

Have put it a join request, have found my people ;)

#9 kimasa

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:44 PM

There's a whole online thing dedicated to this. Google "Woolworths mud cake hack". There's some really fancy looking ones.

Things I didn't do: Read the previous comments.

#10 gracie1978

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

Hack failures .... even more fun!!

https://www.newideaf...le-on-your-face

#11 JBH

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:53 PM

Truly Gracie, don’t make your life more difficult that it needs to be! Think about how this sounds:

Son: May I please have a birthday treat that is easy and affordable?

Mum: No son, you may not have the option you want. I have to spend more time and money to give you something you don’t want as much, lest the judgmental people we know think that I am a lazy mother.

#12 Murderino

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:56 PM

I follow the hacks page. It always amazes me as the decorating is the hard part for me I don’t care about making that cake.

#13 ~J_F~

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

Make sure you use kebab sticks to hold them together especially if you do more that 2 stacked.

I love the woolies/coles mudcake hack page, so many great ideas.

Those cakes are my go to :)

#14 PizzaPlease

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

I find my kids usually don't like fancier cakes much anyway, often they are too rich or sweet for them and they quit after a couple of bites. If he's found a cake he really likes then it sounds like the perfect birthday cake to me. If you didn't want to stack them you could probably put 2-3 cakes side by side and then just ice over the top, like a sheet cake with an irregular shape. The you could decorate with sweets and such.

#15 hills mum bec

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

You can buy the chocolate & white chocolate mud cakes from Coles un-iced and ready to decorate.  I did this for DD's birthday recently, two white chocolate mudcakes on top of each other and then older DD decorated it.

https://shop.coles.c...-white-mud-cake

DS recently had his 18th and we ordered a cake from a professional cake decorator.  She had options for making the cake herself or using Coles/Woolies mud cakes which was cheaper.  DS chose the Woolies mud cake option as he loves those cakes and the cake looked amazing when finished.  You would never have known it was Woolies mud cake.

Posted Image

#16 seayork2002

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

If it is iced I would just add some favourite lollies maybe (maybe not even that)

If not iced I would add Berry Crocker chocolate icing and some lollies, I loath the other stuff and DS loves the chocolate one

#17 Drat

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

There's a hilarious story of a kid in our family who wanted an Aldi mud cake for their birthday.

Mum then makes an elaborate mud cake dinosaur, only to present to the kid who screamed and cried because they only wanted an aldi mud cake!

Go simple. They are delicious..

#18 spr_maiden

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:28 PM

Go as is. Buy a pack of rainbow or chocolate sprinkles for him to decorate it with.
Done!

#19 Gudrun

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:24 PM

I would just stick candles in it. He has spoken. Lollies etc in bowls on the table.

The Woolies mudcake is preferred by many.  Just as is.

#20 gracie1978

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

His main requirement is two levels and loads of candles.  So may not even bother with lollies.

I can't see how it will be that hard, put one cake on top of another and cover with betty Crocker icing.

Will be sure to update y'all on Saturday night.

#21 ckmelb

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

There was a situation where I made an awesome birthday cake for my nephew's 5th birthday and my cake container lid broke as I was walking to the garage. The cake rolled down the concrete steps with great speed and there was smartie carnage everywhere.

I drove to Coles on the way to the party and bought a white mud cake, Betty Crocker frosting and another big bag of smarties to decorate. Problem solved and the kids still loved it (and the adults thought it was a great story and enjoyed the photos of the 2 cakes as I had taken a pic of the original before and after the carnage)

#22 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

I read a tip about the Betty Crocker frosting that you should whip it a little before use as it doubles in size so it goes further and is fluffier. But don't over whip or it can curdle or something.

#23 gracie1978

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

Two cakes on top of each other, with the icing in the middle, covered in bought frosting, candles and lollies.

Sooooo ridiculously easy.  Could have be done in 15 without a small helper :)

Cost about $20

#24 IamtheMumma

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

View PostFossy, on 25 August 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

There’s a whole Facebook group for Woolworths mud cake hacks, it’s a boom industry! Everyone’s a winner

I was going to suggest this. They have some fantastic (and horrid) ideas.

#25 gracie1978

Posted 31 August 2019 - 11:59 AM

I let my son look through the group photos.

Helped confirm what he wanted :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.