Moving house - your best tips!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 Dianalynch

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

Large strong garbage bags are ideal for packing cushions, doonas, linen, towels etc - easy to carry and move, and significantly reduces how many boxes you need.

#27 SplashingRainbows

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

With your health conditions I think you’d be nuts not to pay removalists.

ETA plan and pack food for breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner  even if that’s takeaway or a bbq chicken coleslaw and rolls from coles. Being fed will make the day more pleasant for everyone.

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 26 August 2019 - 09:16 PM.

#28 Chamomile

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

I also recommend professional movers, even for a few hours. People who move themselves, take forever. Such an ordeal.

#29 zenkitty

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:26 PM

Please, please, please use professional movers! Have everything organised, furniture dismantled, boxes packed, but get them to load it all up and put it all in the new place. It will seriously save you so much time, pain and arguments. If it’s just a 2 bed flat and a 10 minute trip you’ll only have to pay for the minimum (2 hours last time I did it) and weekdays are even cheaper. Then you can just do a few carloads with clothes, cleaning gear, etc.

Back saver. Relationship saver. So worth it!

#30 zenkitty

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

Oh, and I’m a weirdo who enjoys end of lease cleaning but if the thought makes you break out in hives then concentrate on cleaning the new place (more fun) and pay for a clean at the old.

#31 Coffeegirl

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:54 PM

We’ve moved too many times. Both local and overseas

If you can afford it, get a professional pack up, move and valet unpack.   Best bloody money spent ever!!

Pack a suitcase for each resident and box with essentials for your first night.
Suitcase holds each person’s important clothing, stuffed animal/comfort toy, toiletries etc
Box has kettle, coffee/tea sachets, toaster, bread, bread toppings like vegemite/jam etc, long life milk and sugar.  Don’t forget some paper plates and plastic spoons knives.  And the ever important TOILET PAPER!

Any beds/furniture that you have to take apart and reassemble - put the screws/small pieces into a ziplock bag and use painting tape to tape it to a part of the furniture.

Buy different coloured electronically tape and put pieces of tape on the cords for your tv/stereo/computer.   Ie blue tape on the input end of the cord, and a matching piece of blue tape above the actual input spot on the stereo/tv

If you can, either hire cleaners or get in and clean the new house and all the cupboard BEFORE you move in. Vacuum the floors, but don’t fuss too much in flooring as you will need to do it again after you move in,

Clearly mark all the boxes to match your NEW house and put signs in the doors in new house so people know where to drop each box.   IW. Bedroom 1, kitchen, lounge etc

Move the BIG stuff first,  nothing worse than trying to manoeuvre a lounge suite and having a zillion boxes to trip over

#32 redchick

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:42 AM

Another vote for ziplock bags (awesome for bathrooms and kitchen drawer stuff) and big black garbage bags for towels, sheets, clothes etc.

When we’ve done local moves we used very few boxes, we had big plastic storage containers tubs (with lids) that we used to pack breakables and then unpacked them immediately at the other end so we could reuse for the next batch (we had a week or so overlap move).

If you do use boxes keep them room specific/themed. That way a simple few words just on the outside of the box will do and you won’t need to write an inventory.

Totally agree with professional movers/truck and 2 guys for the big stuff. Will be done in a couple of hours.

All the best, it is very exciting!

#33 just roses

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:57 AM

Oh gosh, you do not want your body screaming at you for days. Look after yourself, OP. Moving is always harder/takes longer than you think it will.

For a start, pay a cleaner to do the new place and get the walls painted while it’s empty. And hire by-the-hour removalists. Don’t convince your DP, just do it for your health. Insist. Honestly, it’s a small price to pay, especially in light of the costs of buying a house!

#34 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

This is for Melbourne but the BEST thing we did (moved out of house 18m ago to apartment while house was basically knocked down and rebuilt and we just moved back 6wks ago)......

Hired boxes to move, but these boxes are strong plastic ones and could move sooo much more than standard boxes.

https://www.theboxre...company.com.au/

#35 Apple14

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:32 AM

Def rent a truck. Much easier doing things once or twice instead of 15 carloads.
If you can, pay someone to clean the new house while you pack the old.
Any painting you ‘think’ you might want to do, do before the cleaner and moving your things in. Much easier in an empty house.

#36 Hands Up

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

We’ve just moved. I clearly labeled the “day 1 essentials” boxes for the kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms which was a life saver.

We ruthlessly culled as we were downsizing.

We got the place painted and floors sanded and varnished before we moved in along with carpets steam cleaned and house cleaned.

#37 cardamom

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

Thank you all!

Ikea bags are a great suggestion - I'll be able to manage carrying those much more easily than boxes, I'm going to grab some tomorrow so I can start packing linen etc. That will incentivise me to unpack at the other end before reloading, too - I like unpacking, I'm very happy to potter about doing that, it's the schlepping and cleaning I'm not keen on.

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 26 August 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

With your health conditions I think you’d be nuts not to pay removalists.

View PostChamomile, on 26 August 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:

I also recommend professional movers, even for a few hours. People who move themselves, take forever. Such an ordeal.

View Postzenkitty, on 26 August 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

Please, please, please use professional movers!

Back saver. Relationship saver. So worth it!

View Postredchick, on 27 August 2019 - 05:42 AM, said:

Totally agree with professional movers/truck and 2 guys for the big stuff. Will be done in a couple of hours.

All the best, it is very exciting!

View Postjust roses, on 27 August 2019 - 05:57 AM, said:

Oh gosh, you do not want your body screaming at you for days. Look after yourself, OP. Moving is always harder/takes longer than you think it will.

Thank you everyone, that settles it!

I spent an hour cleaning the top of the kitchen cabinets yesterday and my hands and back are killing me today, I just don't think I can manage it. Because I usually look fairly 'well' I think DP forgets sometimes how limited I am; he's insistent he can do the lion's share of the moving but forgets that things like couches and fridge require 2 people, no matter how willing he is!

I told him that EB was unanimous re: removalists and he's acquiesced. Man With A Van it is.

View PostApple14, on 27 August 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

Any painting you ‘think’ you might want to do, do before the cleaner and moving your things in. Much easier in an empty house.

Definitely painting before we move in :)

View Postzenkitty, on 26 August 2019 - 10:29 PM, said:

Oh, and I’m a weirdo who enjoys end of lease cleaning but if the thought makes you break out in hives then concentrate on cleaning the new place (more fun) and pay for a clean at the old.

You enjoy end of lease cleaning?! But it's the worst! You're all happy and settled in the new place, exhausted from moving and think the hard work is done and then you remember ... the grout and those damn skirting boards. Ugh.

#38 Cimbom

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

When I moved back from Sydney to Canberra for work, my workplace paid for removalists with packing included. It was so good and when I move again I will definitely use it again. They were a team of four people and got everything packed and boxed so quickly. It normally takes me forever - definitely worth the expense I think.

#39 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

View PostCimbom, on 27 August 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

When I moved back from Sydney to Canberra for work, my workplace paid for removalists with packing included. It was so good and when I move again I will definitely use it again. They were a team of four people and got everything packed and boxed so quickly. It normally takes me forever - definitely worth the expense I think.
I agree - if you can afford to get the removalists to pack, it's well worth it. Done in a few hours the day before your move, they are machines!

The more you can pack into boxes and get loaded up with the removalists, the less time you have spend yourself going back and forth. Otherwise bits and pieces are left behind and you spend time going back and forth.

For one move that DH and I did (interstate, work paid for it), we also had an unpacking service. Absolutely bloody brilliant! Two people, 6 hours each. The removalists turned up 9am on the Saturday to unload, they were gone by 11-12? The unpackers turned up at 10am, they were gone at 4pm. Honestly, by 3pm on the Sunday afternoon, we were sitting back, having a drink and enjoying the house, it was all unpacked, pure bliss!

#40 Romeo Void

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

I don't know how much 'stuff' you have but boxes tend to sprawl out at the new location and take over, so when it's time to move the big stuff into a room suddenly you're tripping over stuff.  Be mindful of where everything is shoved when it's first brought over.  We allocated a room that didn't have lots of big furniture as the 'dump' zone.  That way beds and wardrobes could be manoeuvred into the bedrooms without the hazard of boxes everywhere.

Know that something WILL break, take a breath and breath and remember you're moving into your lovely home and it's just a broken thing :)

Know that you and DH will probably snap at eachother..possibly multiple times...over the day.  We talked before the move and basically apologised in advance LOL.  When things got tense we'd remind ourselves it was expected.

One thing we both did beforehand was work out and try get our fitness levels up a little.  Maybe a little weird but I was worried about DH's back.  No injuries!

#41 MsLaurie

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

Put two glasses and a nice bottle of something in your “day one” box! A new house deserves bubbles!

Carpet is a little out of fashion at the moment so this might not apply, but best thing we did (apart from painting!) was replace the carpets in the bedrooms. It was surprisingly cheap and as it was empty there was no fuss. We timed it for the day after painting, which also meant we didn’t have to fuss about drop sheets etc in those rooms!

Ooh, and when painting- do the ceilings. Fresh white ceilings make such a difference!

#42 PaperCats

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

If you are going to do it yourself, I would recommend moving boxes and small furniture and then paying someone like a ‘2 men and a truck’ type person to move your big furniture.
Last time we moved we did this, moved all the small stuff first and then they came in a got the couches, coffee table, bed bases, and dining table. Took them 45 minutes loading, driving 15 minutes and unloading. For about $180 I thought it was well worth it. It would have taken us a lot longer.

#43 Moukmouk

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

We had to do one move when I was 7 months pregnant and almost on bed rest. The people I got in to clean the carpets also did the laundry and bathroom - basically pressure cleaning but it was so good. Especially the grotty bits behind the washing machine.
Removalists are the best. They are fast and efficient and know how to maneuver furniture. Have boxes packed and they can move those with the furniture.
Cleaners are worth their weight in gold. It doesn't take them long for a good clean when there isn't any furniture in place.
I did one move where it was close and I thought I would do lots of small stuff in multiple loads myself. It was horrendous, and I wound up with an autoimmune flair bedridden for a week.
Start to run down your pantry, freezer and fridge now. Eskies and supermarket cold bags with ice packs work well for packing the freezer and fridge contents.
Can you put the cats in the vet for the day so they don't get freaked out and run away?
Pack valuables in a case and lock it in the boot of the car.
Pack a suitcase with clothes for a few days for everyone and any school essentials. I still remember moving in grade 1 and not been able to find my sports shoes for sports day!
Good luck!

#44 casime

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

Bottle shops are a good source of free boxes, and their size and strength make them particularly good for books.  Get on your local page and ask if anyone is getting rid of moving boxes.  Cheaper than buying new.

Don't try and unpack on the first day.  Get it all in, unpack the kettle, set up the tv, make the bed, order pizza, open a bottleo f champagne and sit down and relax before having an early night.  Take unpacking slowly, take time to decide where you want things, don't just try and put it all places straight away.

Don't try hanging pictures or anything, take your time, otherwise you just end up putting up with things where you may not really want them.  3M removable hooks are great to put things up and decide if you really want them there before putting a hole in the world.  

If you don't already have a tool box, set one up and keep it with you.  Screws or fixings for anything go into a ziplock bag, labelled, and put into the tool box.  Have some basic tools, a cordless screwdriver/drill, screwdriver set, allen keys, hammer, duct tape, etc.

#45 JustBeige

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:00 AM

Great thead OP, lots of brilliant tips here.

I was thinking about a removalist but was wary of the price but i think now it might be worth it

#46 gracie1978

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

If you're not good at letting stuff go, don't decide to Marie Kondo at the same time, you'll drive yourself loopy.
Plus it just creates a lot more work getting rid of stuff when you're already decision fatigued.

#47 seemingly

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:52 AM

We've moved so many times and each time we made the following mistakes (which I'm watching out for next time!!!):

> Keeping stuff we didn't need (think Halloween decorations, mismatched quilting, old towels, box of random electronic cables and bits and pieces that don't belong to today's technology, clothes we'll wear some day). It really is a time to start fresh, so cull all that stuff.

> Pantry items - eat everything out of the house, instead of carting tins of food and bottles of condiments.

> Painting after everything's moved in (why?!)

Congratulations on your new house! :)

#48 bubskitkat

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:53 AM

I just moved 2 weeks ago.

Pack your breakables into your draws which contain things like undies ect. Then the fabric protects them. Don’t unpack draws just move them like they are.

Bunnings hires vans which are great.

I moved over a couple of weeks.

The garage became my storage area.

Before work I dropped a car load of stuff every morning.

Every time I walked from room to room I took a box of stuff to the correct room

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.