What age for the Harry Potter books?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 PrincessPeach

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:58 PM

As per the title, what age do you feel is appropriate to start reading through the Harry Potter books (or translation, for me to read to the kid)?

Its been a decent length of time since ive read the books or seen the movies, so i cant recall just how dark the first ones are. I know books 3/4 onwards are suitable for older reader, but the first one?

#2 Riotproof

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:00 PM

I would read it a couple if years younger than Harry. So 9ish. Ds is unfortunately not interested.

#3 iwanttosleepin

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

Mine started at 8 years old. Then I metered them out at about 1 every six months.

#4 rosie28

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

I think I’d start DS on them at 8-9, but not allow the later ones at that age. The first 3-4 are probably ok.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Our daughter was eight.  Her Dad started reading them to her, but she got impatient for the rest of the story.

ETA: She's now 27, so no problem with the later ones being 'too soon' as they weren't out, obviously.

Edited by born.a.girl, 26 August 2019 - 07:24 PM.

#6 barrington

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

Grade 4/5 is when most children start reading the series.

#7 rainycat

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

My 9yr old is onto the 5th book, she is hooked!

#8 Future-self

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

I'm aiming for 8/9

#9 Bono25

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:55 PM

I was aiming for 8-9. Unfortunately, the Harry Potter game, wizards unite happened, and I've ended up reading the first 3 to ds who's 5. It was hard explaining the world to him, and he does love pretend. There was another kid dressed as Harry last week at day care. I think the first two movies are OK. Ds sneaked the third one in at the grandparents. He always got bored during the talky bits, so missed alot of the scary stuff, and I have a feeling he was just listening to me talk, and not really paying attention to the books. I didn't mind, I love Harry, so for me it was a good excuse to read them again 😁 I also got some gorgeous illustrated books for him

#10 JoanJett

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

So we're outliers - both my boys read the first two books in Year 1 ie 6-7 years.  They each then took on the remaining books from Years 2-3.  They haven't seen all the movies.  

I think it really depends on your child.  Mine were both very early readers.  There has always been a point where they have read beyond their emotional age to match their "reading" age, and we have discussed the content, and they subsequently came back to books again "later".  Having said that, they both read the complete HP series by 9.  They have both re-read books now (8 and 10 years).

Co-reading is a good approach if you're concerned about content - it gives you the chance to contextualise.

Edited by JoanJett, 26 August 2019 - 08:00 PM.

#11 Druidmom

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:57 PM

DD is 11 and has read all of them. She read the 1st one at age 9.

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:01 PM

View PostBono25, on 26 August 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

I was aiming for 8-9. Unfortunately, the Harry Potter game, wizards unite happened, and I've ended up reading the first 3 to ds who's 5. It was hard explaining the world to him, and he does love pretend. There was another kid dressed as Harry last week at day care. I think the first two movies are OK. Ds sneaked the third one in at the grandparents. He always got bored during the talky bits, so missed alot of the scary stuff, and I have a feeling he was just listening to me talk, and not really paying attention to the books. I didn't mind, I love Harry, so for me it was a good excuse to read them again I also got some gorgeous illustrated books for him

This is my issue as well, few kids in his class have seen some of the movies (they are 5/6), add to that older cousins who are mad on harry potter & im back to the position of no idea if its really even suitable to start reading to him.

It will have to be me/dh doing the reading at the moment.

#13 LucyGoose

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

My DD is 9 and is really getting into them.  She was a bit scared even in the first one. She is in grade 4.

#14 *BellBird*

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

My now 9yo read them when he was 7, I read them a bit ahead so that when the “bad/scary” parts were coming I could provide some guidance or comfort if needed. It was probably a bit early but he was very keen.

#15 dadwasathome

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

We started reading the first one to DS16 when he was 4, and he did himself in yr3 or 4.

We stuck to “read book before watch movie” for him, less so with his younger brother.

#16 Kreme

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:12 PM

My daughter started at age 6. We let her read the first 3 books and then took a break before coming back to book 4 when she was around 9.

As she read the books then we watched the corresponding movie.

She’s not easily scared by books or movies.

#17 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:30 PM

My friends son loved them at 7. That might be having it read to him rather than reading alone Im not sure but I know he liked them.

I actually really want to introduce them to my 6 year old because she is into things like paddington (reading is her 'thing')  but she doesnt like spooky themes so I think it might be to scary for her.

I would be a bit more careful from book 4 onwards OP,   that's the point major characters die so it becomes a bit more 'grown up'

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 26 August 2019 - 08:32 PM.

#18 Weavile

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:37 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 26 August 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

Our daughter was eight.  Her Dad started reading them to her, but she got impatient for the rest of the story.

ETA: She's now 27, so no problem with the later ones being 'too soon' as they weren't out, obviously.

I read this and seriously thought there was a mistake with the ages. It can't be that long ago that the books came out. Or I'm just old.

I've let DS9 read the first two, but I kind of feel they ramp too quickly from there. I wouldn't stop him if he really wanted to continue but won't be encouraging it for a while.

#19 400

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:50 PM

Interesting topic... I’ve been reading them to DS since birth (I wanted to read to him every night but the material was chosen for my own enjoyment) but at 15 months he obviously doesn’t understand what I’m reading to him, and soon I’ll have to switch to picture books to engage him. I was actually thinking the other day when I would actually want to read them to him, so it’s interesting to hear the different experiences!

#20 ekbaby

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:00 PM

DS2 aged 7 years is quite sensitive but has happily read through books 1-4 this year
They are only allowed to watch the movies of the books they have read
DS1 is 10 and has read all of them. Started with book 1 being read allowed to him from age 5 or so. And then reading them himself from around year 2.

#21 ekbaby

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:03 PM

The first one is not really scary, IMO. I’d start reading and if he likes it, great, if not, no worries. The scarier section is toward the end of the book so plenty of time to see if he’s into it or not.
The last couple are the ones that start really getting heavy

#22 Jenflea

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:06 PM

DD and Dh started at about 6 or 7, and they read slowly.
Last books they finished this year at 9.

I think the movies are scarier than the books, visuals are MUCH harder to forget than printed words in my opinion.

they read the books before they saw each film.

I haven't let her watch the Grindelward movies at all, the first one was horrible with the child abuse and odd death.
I didn't like it, there's no way she'll watch it anytime soon.

#23 laridae

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:07 PM

DD2 (just turned 5) loves Harry Potter but has only played the lego video game of it. DD1 has watched the first couple of movies. Neither have read the books but I've been encouraging DD1 to since about grade 1, so 6-7?

#24 marple

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

Jeez I thought my 7yo was a good reader but obviously not when other 7yo's are independently reading Harry Potter.  He has read all the Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Tashi and Anh do books and the Treehouse series and the Minecraft series. I thought that was great! ( crosses g and t off things to worry about).

In answer to the question the 7yo , as mentioned above , has seen the first 3 movies. Hasn't read the books as not able to, though we are about to start reading them to him as nighttime books.

I wouldn't worry about the first book OP, and then gauge it from there.

#25 munchmum

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:40 PM

My daughter read them all in about 6 weeks at the age of 8. She was hooked.  We let her watch each film when she finished each book. Despite previously getting scarred at Disney films she was fine with them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.