5 week old & sleeping

17 replies to this topic

#1 chloe_belle

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

I have a 5 week old who hasn’t been a great sleeper from the start. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to get him to sleep during the day. He sleeps ok at night, 3 hours and then 2 hours but for most of the day he is wide awake. I find I am spending most of day either nursing or breastfeeding him. Even after a feed he will doze off and wake up soon after and be wide awake!

And tips would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:41 AM

Congratulations on your new baby!

It sounds like you have a perfectly normal new baby.

It’s a primitive baby in a modern world. Your arms are safe spaces. There’s some great information on this period known as the forth trimester.
Frequent feeding of +12 times in 24 hrs is normal.

There is a completely feral fussy period at around 6 weeks you might be heading into too.

#3 Apageintime

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

I'd have a read up on the fourth trimester.  Baby need a your arms to feel safe

https://www.babydoc....-baby-to-sleep/

https://sarahockwell...y-in-your-arms/

https://grubbymummyb...l-infant-sleep/

#4 JustMyGirl

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

I had a baby just like yours. I was able to get 20-30 minute sleeps during the day in my arms until 8 weeks old then I couldn’t manage so much holding anymore and started settling her in the cot. Also 30 minute naps. I got an ergo carrier and would take a long walk with her in it to top up her sleep each afternoon - she would sleep 2 hours like this as long as I kept walking (I lost a lot of weight!).
Good luck.

#5 Sweet.Pea

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

Mine is over 1 and still not sleeping through the night.

After 3 or 4 months your body adjusts and you get used to it.

#6 taters

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

That sounds like what my son was like at that age. No tips other than lots of coffee to help you survive.

My son is now 17 months and still doesnt sleep through the night.

#7 Islander

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

It’s so tough isn’t it. Only walking in the ergo baby worked to give my first daughter longer naps, but my second responded super well to being swaddled and listening to white noise after a feed and a burp. Worth a try if you haven’t already

#8 onetrick

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:26 PM

A MCHN a few weeks into this parenting gig suggested feeding no sooner than 3 hourly if it seemed like he would be ok with that and that seemed to work to settle DS for longer periods of time. Basically, if it was less than 3 hours and someone else was home when dS became fussy, they got a cuddle for a bit. If that worked then great, if it didnt, I fed him.
Not everyone loves this idea and I did hesitate to write it down, but you asked for ideas and this worked for me. Longer time between milk (3-4 times a day when 8 months old) also meant much more sleep when he was older- that was what sleep school suggested and he slept overnight from then on.
His stomach still rules everything and a bad nights sleep usually follows a day with him not eating/ drinking enough...
But yeah, not for everyone.

#9 Crazyone26989

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:06 PM

I have a 7 week old and I’m increasingly able to get him to sleep and sleep in his bassinet during the day. I normally hold/rock him to sleep and then put him down. If he wakes I try again but after two wakes I’ll just hold him so that he sleeps.

I find that the better he sleeps during the day, the better/longer he sleeps at night. Also, despite people telling me to keep him awake during the day to help night sleep, this does not work AT ALL for him. At 5 weeks he absolutely needed to be going back to sleep 45-60 mins after the start of a feed. This allowed him to sleep for 2 hours most of the time as he was going three ish hours between feeds. Now he’s awake for 1 hour 15 ish sometimes more.

This is my rough day at the moment which I’ve worked from his pattern of feeding. He does get fed sooner if he is hungry.

7am Wake and feed, Play, Sleep (45 mins)

9am Feed, Play, Sleep (1hour 45 mins)

12pm Feed, play sleep (3 hours)

4pm feed, play, sleep (1-2 hours)

7pm feed, bath, sleep for the night around 8-8.30

If he’s in bed before 9.30 we can normally get 5-6 hours then another 4 hours till morning. If not then it’s 3 hourly wakes. It’s the days he sleeps poorly during the day that he won’t go to bed at night.

It’s a lot of sleep but it seems to work for us.

#10 chloe_belle

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:48 PM

View PostCrazyone26989, on 27 August 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

I have a 7 week old and I’m increasingly able to get him to sleep and sleep in his bassinet during the day. I normally hold/rock him to sleep and then put him down. If he wakes I try again but after two wakes I’ll just hold him so that he sleeps.

I find that the better he sleeps during the day, the better/longer he sleeps at night. Also, despite people telling me to keep him awake during the day to help night sleep, this does not work AT ALL for him. At 5 weeks he absolutely needed to be going back to sleep 45-60 mins after the start of a feed. This allowed him to sleep for 2 hours most of the time as he was going three ish hours between feeds. Now he’s awake for 1 hour 15 ish sometimes more.

This is my rough day at the moment which I’ve worked from his pattern of feeding. He does get fed sooner if he is hungry.

7am Wake and feed, Play, Sleep (45 mins)

9am Feed, Play, Sleep (1hour 45 mins)

12pm Feed, play sleep (3 hours)

4pm feed, play, sleep (1-2 hours)

7pm feed, bath, sleep for the night around 8-8.30

If he’s in bed before 9.30 we can normally get 5-6 hours then another 4 hours till morning. If not then it’s 3 hourly wakes. It’s the days he sleeps poorly during the day that he won’t go to bed at night.

It’s a lot of sleep but it seems to work for us.

How were you able to actually achieve this routine? I've tried the rocking/holding to sleep and then will put him down once asleep but he will wake up after 20 minutes and we have to do it all over again until its feeding time

#11 tarrie cat

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

I had a baby who happily slept through the night but during the day would only sleep when she was on me. Thankfully I only have one kid so I just rolled with it. I have so many memories of my husband coming home after work  during winter to find me sitting in the dark, watching something on tv quietly with her asleep on me.

We did manage to break this habit eventually and could get her down in her cot but she had to be deeply asleep for me to do it during the day. Then we managed to move to me telling her story and cuddling for a bit until she was sleepy.

You have a perfectly normal baby. Babies love being held by their parents. Every baby is different too so don't fall into the trap of thinking your baby should be doing this or this or this.

#12 tinselfoil hat

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:11 PM

View Postchloe_belle, on 29 August 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

How were you able to actually achieve this routine? I've tried the rocking/holding to sleep and then will put him down once asleep but he will wake up after 20 minutes and we have to do it all over again until its feeding time

Might be worth a trip to the GP. 20 mins isn’t great and contrary to what is written above, I don’t think it sounds super normal. DD was doing that at that age, it got worse as she got older and turned out to be reflux and milk intolerance. I remember how hard it was :( you’re doing a great job mumma!

#13 Apageintime

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:20 PM

https://themilkmeg.c...breastfed-baby/

#14 rubyskye

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:33 PM

View PostApageintime, on 29 August 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

I love the Milk Meg, she has some wonderful advice :)

#15 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:39 PM

Babywearing can be a lifesaver at that age. See if you have a local baby wearing group you can go along to - they will show you all the options and how to do it safely. Baby shops have a poor selection of carriers and bad advice.

I wore DS for many of his naps as a baby as I was running around after his big sister. I was able to do stuff while he slept. DD slept mostly in my arms at that age, feed snooze, feed snooze, all day.

#16 Crazyone26989

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

View Postchloe_belle, on 29 August 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

There are sleeps where he either wakes up the moment I put him down or after 30-40 mins and I do just rock and hold him again. I’d he wakes after being put down a second time then I just hold him. So it doesn’t always work.

What I did find is that he often has to burp a bit more (he takes in a lot of air when feeding so we’ve been working on that) or has tummy pain which we suspect is dairy intolerance. Working on those issues has helped a lot.

#17 chloe_belle

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

View Postalfoil hat, on 29 August 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

Might be worth a trip to the GP. 20 mins isn’t great and contrary to what is written above, I don’t think it sounds super normal. DD was doing that at that age, it got worse as she got older and turned out to be reflux and milk intolerance. I remember how hard it was Posted Image you’re doing a great job mumma!

Sorry just to clarify the waking after 20 min is mostly during the day. At night he manages a 3 hour and then 2 hour sleep.

My Midwife actually suggested cutting dairy out due to a possible intolerance. It's been 3 weeks since I cut out dairy, we have had a minor improvement with his reflux/wind but it still hasn't had much of an impact on the day sleeps.

In saying that he has just had a 2 hour nap!! I followed Crazyone26989 routine and when he woke after the 20-30 min mark I went in and patted and held him on the rocking chair until he fell asleep again. Fingers crossed we can replicate this tomorrow!

#18 tinselfoil hat

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

View Postchloe_belle, on 29 August 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

Sorry just to clarify the waking after 20 min is mostly during the day. At night he manages a 3 hour and then 2 hour sleep.

My Midwife actually suggested cutting dairy out due to a possible intolerance. It's been 3 weeks since I cut out dairy, we have had a minor improvement with his reflux/wind but it still hasn't had much of an impact on the day sleeps.

In saying that he has just had a 2 hour nap!! I followed Crazyone26989 routine and when he woke after the 20-30 min mark I went in and patted and held him on the rocking chair until he fell asleep again. Fingers crossed we can replicate this tomorrow!

Wow that’s really positive. Fingers crossed it lasts!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.