In Need Of Thriller Books To Read.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:17 PM

Hi,

I'm on a thriller kick lately and I was looking for recs to add to my reading pile. Thrillers with thrills and chills, gripping story, secrets, killing and sexy times. The whole shebang!

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

i’ve just finished Robert Harris’s “The Second Sleep” - it was good. the twist comes at around chapter 3...page 22....although there were hints of it before but yeh...all of a sudden you realise the book you thought you were reading: you weren’t.

#3 hills mum bec

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:27 PM

Karin Slaughter, love her books but they can be quite gruesome.

#4 71Cath

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

I love thrillers too :)

Six Minutes (Petronella McGovern)
Blood River (Tony Cavanaugh)
Here and Gone (Haylen Beck)
The Party (Lisa Hall)
The Rumour (Lesley Kara)
The Guilty Wife (Elle Croft)
The First lady (James Patterson)
The Missing Pieces of Sophie McCarthy (BM Carroll)

Anything by Michael Robotham
Anything by Jane Harper

#5 Chicken Pie

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

ditto on Karin Slaughter one of my new fave authors

#6 seayork2002

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

I tend to read more mundane books (not meant as a criticism but I wanted to avoid the word 'cosy') but I do like A A Dhand's books

#7 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:51 PM

I have read:
Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney
The Dry by Jane Harper
The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter

#8 Lou-bags

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:53 PM

I just finished The Snakes by Sadie Jones. That was rather suspenseful and the ending is, wow.

#9 born.a.girl

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

All the birds, singing. Evie Wyld.

Creeped me right out.

ETA:  And yes, all of Jane Harper's.  First and third were my favourites.

Edited by born.a.girl, 28 August 2019 - 04:57 PM.

#10 onetrick

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

I've recently read Candice Fox and really enjoy her work- shes an Australian author and there are a few mini series type things.
Other authors I enjoy that you might as well:
Val McDermid (wire in the blood)
Karin Slaughter
Karen Rose
Grvrielle Lord
Patricia Cornwell (I preferred her earlier stuff)
Kathy Reichs
James Patterson...

#11 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

Jeffery Deaver ( who wrote the book the movie The Bone Collector is based off)
Faye Kellerman
Jonathan Kellerman ( yes, husband and wife authors)
Patricia Cornwall, the earlier stuff, before she got all Jack the Ripper possessed and decided she was a forensic pathologist for real and not just an author.
I find James Patterson was great in his early books, but especially in the Alex Cross ( Along came a Spider etc) he started going strange and his latter books starting reading formulaic and I suspect he's being ghost written as they have gone off the boil and not as well written.

#12 onetrick

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:30 PM

Oh, kiwibicycle. I agree completely!
How could.i forget Jeffey Deaver! So good!
Jefferson Bass is pretty good too (it's two people writing as one) and the books are quite short and easy to read.
The too short chapters in James Patterson books annoy me too, but for a quick easy read without too much thought they are quite good. Early ones much better though- definitely agree.
Now I want to go to the library tomorrow as I've just finished my collection beside my bed!!

#13 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:34 PM

someone on here (Riotproof?) recommenced Dervla McTiernan - her books are good.

#14 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the replies

#15 Lou-bags

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:28 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 28 August 2019 - 07:34 PM, said:

someone on here (Riotproof?) recommenced Dervla McTiernan - her books are good.

I’m listening to the audiobook of The Scholar at the moment. So far so good!

#16 tarrie cat

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:09 PM

I really enjoyed Tara Moss's Mak collection (named after the main character). Moss is a pretty good writer and the books are an easy read with plenty of action.

I adore the Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries books too (much more than the tv show which I watched for the fashion). Kerry Greenwood does an extraordinary amount of research for her books and it really shows in the level of detail she's able to squeeze in. Love her writing style too, not a word wasted.

#17 71Cath

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

View Posttarrie cat, on 28 August 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

I adore the Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries books too (much more than the tv show which I watched for the fashion). Kerry Greenwood does an extraordinary amount of research for her books and it really shows in the level of detail she's able to squeeze in. Love her writing style too, not a word wasted.

Totally agree.  And her other series about a baker set in Melbourne (who's name escapes me) is great too.

#18 *Ker*

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

Also a fan of Karin Slaughter and Karen Rose. Also try Alex Kava - I LOVE LOVE LOVE her Ryder Creed series. Also try Tess Gerritsen, Harlan Coben and I too love Gabrielle Lord (aussie writer).

I didn't like Candice Fox at ALL. Her writing is very clumsy and I didn't give a flying fig about the characters. I struggled halfway through Crimson Lake and gave up. The writing was so bad.

Jeffrey Deaver - I have his new book here, The Never Game. I'm halfway through and don't get the Deaver love. It's boring me.

ETA - if you read Kathy Reichs, read her Tempe Brennan books (Bones is based on it), but skip her new series Sunday Night.

Edited by *Ker*, 29 August 2019 - 10:20 AM.

#19 *Ker*

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 28 August 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

I find James Patterson was great in his early books, but especially in the Alex Cross ( Along came a Spider etc) he started going strange and his latter books starting reading formulaic and I suspect he's being ghost written as they have gone off the boil and not as well written.

I'm pretty sure his "co-authors" are writing the entire books now. Humans bow down was seriously one of the WORST books I have ever read! And The Store was bad.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

View Post*Ker*, on 29 August 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

Also a fan of Karin Slaughter and Karen Rose. Also try Alex Kava - I LOVE LOVE LOVE her Ryder Creed series. Also try Tess Gerritsen, Harlan Coben and I too love Gabrielle Lord (aussie writer).

I didn't like Candice Fox at ALL. Her writing is very clumsy and I didn't give a flying fig about the characters. I struggled halfway through Crimson Lake and gave up. The writing was so bad.

Jeffrey Deaver - I have his new book here, The Never Game. I'm halfway through and don't get the Deaver love. It's boring me.

ETA - if you read Kathy Reichs, read her Tempe Brennan books (Bones is based on it), but skip her new series Sunday Night.

I read one of her first books a while back Hades, I am not sure what I exactly thought but I am yet to read another

#21 71Cath

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

View Post*Ker*, on 29 August 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure his "co-authors" are writing the entire books now. Humans bow down was seriously one of the WORST books I have ever read! And The Store was bad.

I liked "First Lady" though - the one written with Bill Clinton.

#22 katpaws

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

JD Robb- sci-fi crime (also known as Nora Roberts)

Also a fan of Jonathan Kellerman.

I also like Matthew Reilly but not a lot of sex in his books, but characters do fall in love. Military sort of thriller series. Sexy sort of lead men. Lots of blood and gore and evil villains.

#23 two_ones

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:36 PM

Nelson DeMille's book series with the recurring character detective John Corey:

Plum Island
The Lion's Game
Night Fall

They are all really good and John Corey is a great character.

#24 ExpatInAsia

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:45 PM

I like German author Nele Neuhaus.

#25 Let-it-go

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

If you really want some creepy crime, look for the Scandinavian authors.  Something about how they write gives everything this edge, not to mention the brutal cold and ice they are set in.  There is a series with a detective called Rebecca Martinson that I liked.  Also the Kurt Wallander series.

I’m currently reading Tell Me Your Secret by Dorothy Koomson which is about a serial killer.

Edited by Let-it-go, 30 August 2019 - 08:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.