Help TV

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:07 PM

My Mum really wants us to have a TV and wants to buy it as a baby present.

We are realistic that we probably need one with the twins arriving next year.

Any suggestions ?
55inch is probably a good size for the space
Thinking up to $1500 (her budget was 2-3k but that's too much).

We have a good guys down the road

#2 PrincessPeach

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:28 PM

We had to replace our tv recently & went with a LG.

We found it hard to find a 55 inch actually - a lot of the shops want you to go bigger, but we cannot physically fit a bigger TV onto our cabinet.

Fairly sure it was just under the $1,000 as well, but it had the best energy rating so figured why not.

#3 Jingleflea

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:40 PM

Ours is a 51inch Samsung.

Go a Smart TV so you can get Netflix on it and Stan or Disney when it goes live.

#4 Jo.F

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:54 PM

I recently got a 65" from JB HiFi for $1200 delivered. They are very good at price matching and will offer a pretty good deal to get the sale.

I second what Jenflea said about the smart tv. I got a TCL (that's the brand) with Android TV. Not just the Android operating system but it's set up with all the apps on it like Netflix, Stan, Spotify, YouTube etc etc. Once you connect to your home internet it's ready to go. All smart tv's can do that but on some of them you need to install the apps first but having the Android TV they were all on there already which was easier for me.

ETA: With electronics you get what you pay for an obviously a cheaper tv won't have the same picture quality as something like a samsung but they're still pretty good. Also, get a 4K tv. Although no free to air channels broadcast in 4K yet, they will soon enough and then you'll have a TV that's compatible.

Edited by Jo.F, 02 September 2019 - 05:56 PM.

#5 Sabine75

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:56 AM

Samsungs are brilliant - and make sure it the newest smart TV - very thoughtful gift

#6 Renovators delight

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

We have had very good mileage from Samsung televisions and screens. Costco often have competitive sale prices if you have a Costco near you.

#7 Ayr

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:23 AM

We go Samsung as well. All of ours are Samsung's and never had a problem with them. I find the bigger the better really. Makes for good movie watching if you wanted to save money rather than take the kids out to the movies a large TV and microwave popcorn is all they need.

Don't be too fussed with smart TV's. They probably only make those now. All ours have the feature but we find the apple TV works better, faster and glitches less than smart TV apps so not really necessary when there's better options.

#8 BECZ

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

We bought a Samsung 65 inch at the beginning of this year.  No complaints and such a basic simple remote, yet does everything.

We got ours on special for $1800 as an end of year special special.

There was a newer model out, but every store we asked in said the only difference was the newer model was cordless, so much easier for wall installation.  As we were planning on sitting ours on a unit, it was silly to spend the extra $400.  It was on special too, just not as good a special.

We actually had two old tube style 80 cm TVs before that.  I was determined to wait for them to die first, but DF finally wore me down.   We had the money, but as I had waited that long for them to die, I was so determined!
We still have one old one in the toy room, but nobody watches it now.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

Ours is Samsung

#10 **Xena**

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:28 AM

We have a TCL Smart Tv from JBHiFi which was $1000. TCL use Samsung panels for their tvs which are some of the best. You're basically getting a Samsung tv without the brand name so it's cheaper :)

We also use ours to play shows off USB because it's android :)

Edited by **Xena**, 04 September 2019 - 07:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.