Reading assessment year 2 - for the teachers

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

Quick question, how often would you expect a year 2 child to be properly assessed for reading.
My daughter just told me she hasn’t done one on one reading with the teacher this year.
I’m used to her being assessed for reading and comprehension in previous years.
Should this still be happening?

Edited by Whattothink, 03 September 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#2 Orangecake

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:08 PM

I'm not a teacher but was doing reading groups with my year 2 child this week. The teacher was calling up children individually for testing while the parents and an assistant helped with the groups. The teacher said she would complete the class individual testing over the next week or so.
My DS gets tested once a term and is an advanced reader. I believe some of the children who need extra help are tested more regularly.

#3 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:15 PM

Thank you 😊

#4 José

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

perhaps she read in a pair and that was the assessment?
or perhaps she doesn't recall being assessed?

#5 Jelly11

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

It's possible assessments are being done while she is in a group (others reading quietly to themselves while the teacher listens to one at a time) and your DD doesn't recognise this as one-on-one. If you have any questions or concerns I would be asking her teacher about it.

#6 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

Yes, potentially Jose.
But I’d like to know the normal expectation for assessment and then go from there.

#7 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

Thanks Jelly.
Does assessment normally include questions being asked to understand comprehension?

#8 mayahlb

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

Our school doesn’t like to do them too often. Usually they will do them if they have observed progress in reading groups and also other criteria. Minimum 3 times a year though.

#9 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Mayahib

#10 Jelly11

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:28 PM

I would expect some level of questioning for a true assessment. You can't say a child is at x level if they are just saying the words but not understanding what they are reading. Again, this could be done in a group setting, not necessarily one-on-one away from everyone.

#11 mayahlb

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:33 PM

Also I had my youngest kids teacher tell me that in yr2-4 the progress is slower as the expected growth up levels is less. It’s only 3-4 levels in f&p vs the 6-7 in prep-yr 1. (My kids school doesn’t use PM levels) Hence they don’t test as often.

My kid doesn’t even do his readers anymore (he’s in yr 3, it’s been that way since term 4 yr 2). Mostly because he find the other books he’s reading more interesting. I just get him to read whatever current book he’s into outloud for 5 mins (to practice pronunciation, fluency and expression) and then talk about it so I’m sure he’s understanding what he’s reading. Then he reads by himself for another 15-30 minutes depending on what book it is.

#12 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

Ok, thanks Jelly.
Could the comprehension be assessed by a worksheet rather than questioning?

#13 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:35 PM

Thanks mayahib

#14 marple

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:39 PM

How do you know what is happening? I've never known except  when reports come out and they are seriously vague, even though I've done literacy groups with all my kids.
Are you worried your child should be assessed more?

#15 Jelly11

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:45 PM

It could be done in written form but I wouldn't rely solely on that personally.

#16 Jenflea

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

I'd think you need to talk to the teacher.

#17 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

Marple I casually asked in first term if Mrs x had done a reading assessment and DD said not yet. It was just a random question mostly out of curiosity more than anything.
This afternoon DD out of the blue said Mrs x still hasn’t done reading with me.
Hence my question

#18 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

I’m very happy to talk to the teacher Jenflea, but was hoping to get a bit of an idea of the norm before I do.

#19 OneDayDreamer

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:09 PM

We do a 'semi-formal' running record every 3 weeks. This is often in group settings. We do not do written comprehension tests formally because children can often understand more than they can write down, so to have them write their thinking would disadvantage them. In our school definitely, but as far as I know from research, worksheets are a no go zone generally (there are exceptions).  At the end of every term we do a formal benchmark test.

Running records can be done in groups or one on one. By year 2 at our school it would be unlikely to sit only with one child. Children usually only need to read 120 or so words of a text aloud to be tested properly. (the rest is read in their heads and then discussed afterwards).

I would not trust the word of a junior school student as to if they've been tested or not- often they don't know. I'd say chat to the teacher.

Edited by OneDayDreamer, 03 September 2019 - 06:10 PM.

#20 EPZ

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:10 PM

To test properly for reading levels the student should have to answer questions about the text they have read, as comprehension is a big part of reading.

I have found even in year 4, with ahead readers, and year 6, with my son, they are still tested twice a term at our school.

Once readers finish,  there is still ‘letter levels’ for higher range readers/novel readers.  It doesn’t end at level 30 PM readers.

#21 OneDayDreamer

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

View PostEPZ, on 03 September 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

Once readers finish,  there is still ‘letter levels’ for higher range readers/novel readers.  It doesn’t end at level 30 PM readers.

This is true, however once a child can read a level 30, running records are not necessarily the best way of assessing reading. We do not test students who are reading above level 30, we run one on one reading conference with personal goal setting.

#22 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

Thanks everyone, super helpful!!!

#23 Whattothink

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:21 PM

One last question, if a child is put in a group to help with their learning external to normal class, would you expect a letter to come home?
Once again just trying to find out the norm.
Thanks

#24 EPZ

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:27 PM

If they are on an ILP. Independent learning plan, we have always been informed.

This is usually for additional support or extension.

#25 BBC

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:29 PM

If they are already at level 30 on PM benchmarks they won't be tested.

May still be listened to in reading groups.

I usually test towards the end of each term in year 2, but would do one at other times if it was clear the child had made a leap in thei reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.