Q about menopause (disturbed sleep)

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Montro

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:03 AM

I'm going through menopause and am sailing along OK, apart from disrupted sleep.  I'm averaging around 4 hours per night.  Getting through my days OK but crashing on the couch at 7.30pm each night.

I guess I'll see my GP about the sleep issue, but am wanting to hear from anyone who can relate, i.e. what did you use to get your sleeping back to what it was before menopause.

Thanks

#2 Charli73

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:54 AM

To combat the waking up in a sweat overnight I started to take a supplement called happy hormones. It was also great at stopping the terrible up down emotions as I was in tears a lot for no reason at all. My GP said any kind of HRT was risky and not needed especially for relatively mild symptoms like mine.

Sleeping better now I’m trying to excercise a bit more too.

#3 Montro

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for your reply and I'll definitely follow up on the Happy Hormones.  I've only had a few night sweats, and that was around 3 years ago (perimenopause.)  Haven't experienced any mood swings (touch wood.)  I did put on 4kgs and have managed to lose 2 of those.  

I fell asleep at 11 last night and woke up at 2.30 this morning.  Been up since 3.  Apologies if my post is a little disjointed; I'm a bit tired!

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:16 AM

Have you had your thyroid function checked?

I did end up on HRT as I had severe symtoms - overpowering hot flushes every twenty minutes on the dot during the day - leaving me wet and cold ten minutes later.  They also woke me for the first few hours overnight so got very little good quality sleep.

I knew from my mother's and older sisters' experience that I was in this for a long time, like ten years.   I figured that was no kind of life. Absolutely took into account family history and my own health otherwise.

#5 Montro

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:33 AM

I had my thyroid function checked some years ago, but can't recall why.  Tests were normal.  Perhaps time for another test.

My mum had a hysterectomy when she was 31 (I was 2), and *that* sort of thing wasn't discussed with *her* mum, so I have no idea what to expect.

I will go to my GP as - TMI WARNING - I'm experiencing genital discomfort (probably the vaginal walls thinning and becoming dryer - oh joy!)  Definitely not sexually related as I'm celibate.

Thanks again.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

Yep, significant genital discomfort here, too - using toilet paper, even gently, was like rubbing sunburn.

Yes, I'd agree, time for another thyroid check - at menopause is a time when there might be a drop.

It's worth doing, and trying medication, even if it's only mild, as that's far preferable to taking HRT.

Not that I'm suggesting HRT for one symtpom.  You can get oestrogen ?gel for the discomfort (in the recent study, those using things like oestrogen patches, like I do, only had a tiny increase in risk, it was the combined ones that created higher risk), and other things to help sleep.

Have you tried Valerian, or Melatonin?

Edited by lucky 2, 05 September 2019 - 01:36 PM.

#7 Montro

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for your reply.

My whole genital area feels like it needs a little TLC, feels a little raw.  Happy days.

I'm keen to try natural remedies, so will definitely try your suggestions, see my GP and take it from there.  Thank you again.

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

If you decide to try the melatonin, you may wish to ask your GP or on EB how to get it.  You can't get the 5mg over the counter here.

#9 Montro

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:20 PM

Thanks so much, much appreciated!

#10 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

I've never had much success with natural remedies and am only in perimenopause (I think).

I now take a 1/4 of an over the counter sleeping tablet.  (Not sure if I can name it on here, it starts with R and ends in estavit - Mods, please remove if I'm not allowed to mention it).

Anyway, 1/4 tab about an hour before bed helps me get to sleep, but more importantly - when I wake up, I go back to sleep really easily.  And I don't feel groggy or hung over in the mornings.  

Without the tablet, I'm usually awake until 12, then wake up from around 3am-6am.  With a tablet, I sleep from 10.30pm - 6am without fail - I might wake up twice, but only for a few minutes, toilet trip etc.

#11 Owls

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:06 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 05 September 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

If you decide to try the melatonin, you may wish to ask your GP or on EB how to get it.  You can't get the 5mg over the counter here.

I get it online from iherb - it works very well for me, I take it just before turning off my light. Helps me go to sleep and stay asleep. There are 3, 5 and 10mg on here, I use two 3mg tabs.

https://au.iherb.com...Capsules_/54511

#12 eilca

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:48 PM

Montro, I am beginning to trial ostevin cream. My symptoms the week before my period are awful and like Born a girl, it felt like I was using sandpaper. The cream is to add oestrogen and reduce the discomfort.  Insomnia is also one of my symptoms.The doctor said it was a trial to balance the hormones.

#13 purplekitty

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

Happy Hormones contains Black Cohosh.

FYI.
https://ods.od.nih.g...thProfessional/

#14 ABabyPlease

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

I'm only peri and sleep only sometimes disturbed. The best thing that a friend said to me was that the sleep lost from menopause doesn't seem to affect her the next day. Not sure if it's the "placebo" effect but I always try to remember this.

WRT the dryness, I take a hormone pessarary which works very well and my GP and gyno advise that it's very safe.

My GP advised me to be cautious about herbal menopause remedies as some have proven to be harmful to the liver.

Also my accupuncturist says he can help about fifty percent of menopause symptoms, so I can ask for a tune up when I'm feeling bad and it seems to help. Hard to prove of course.

Good luck!

#15 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:25 PM

I'll have some of whatever ABabyPlease's friend is smoking.  I definitely feel like crap after a sleepless night.

I have no suggestions as nothing is working for me.  I'm just grateful I don't have to go to work.

#16 PurpleWitch

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:31 PM

OMG. Mother natures cruel joke.

I had to stop using normal Rexona and get the pump pack. The sweating was murdering me.

The sleeplessness is a killer. I was awake from 3am last night. Went to work, came home and slept for 3 hours. KILL ME.

I have been taking melatonin 2mg - but nothing so far :(

#17 Lifesgood

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

Hope its ok if I piggyback a question in your thread OP?

Has anyone during menopause/peri-menopause experienced more vaginal discharge/CM? Like ovulation-time EWCM?

I haven't had a period in months, and prior to that not regular periods for a year or more, and when they happen they are very light. But lots of CM.

#18 ABabyPlease

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:33 PM

Hey AOsprey, sorry if this comment was disheartening.

I do feel like crap if I miss sleep for other reasons.

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:33 PM

View PostPurpleWitch, on 05 September 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

OMG. Mother natures cruel joke.

I had to stop using normal Rexona and get the pump pack. The sweating was murdering me.

The sleeplessness is a killer. I was awake from 3am last night. Went to work, came home and slept for 3 hours. KILL ME.

I have been taking melatonin 2mg - but nothing so far :(

Might not be enough.  Most who have success take more.

#20 Expelliarmus

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:35 PM

^Yeah ... I think that's going on, along with waking up sweaty - noice. Also this sandpaper thing seems familiar.

I am not filled with joy ... but perhaps at least I am normal?

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:39 PM

View PostABabyPlease, on 05 September 2019 - 09:33 PM, said:

Hey AOsprey, sorry if this comment was disheartening.

I do feel like crap if I miss sleep for other reasons.

I think there's 'lack of sleep' and there's 'lack of sleep' with no comparison between them.

I know someone who would swear she sleeps extremely badly, but is o.k. during the day.  Truth is she wakes a few times, and considers that to be sleeping badly.  I don't know too many people who go to bed and wake up when they need to get out of bed the next day!

My sleep was never too bad, just frequently the usual early morning wakefulness, but with a decent slab of sleep before and after that.  Others would call that 'sleeping badly'.

Menopause changed everything.  Instead of sleeping solidly for the first few hours, the hot flushes would wake me every twenty minutes for the first several hours.  I read somewhere a woman who said 'oh if I can't sleep I'll just read a book', but it's not like that.  I kept falling back asleep, exhausted, only to be shot awake by the next one.  It's like being given a shot of adrenaline (which I've had, so I know what it feels like).  So lots of ten minute bursts of sleep.  I would eventually,usually after 2am, be able to sleep for a few hours.

My work was frequently physical, and involved a lot of hours on the road.  Spring and Autumn with the sun shining in on me made the hot flushes sickening. That on top of tiredness, and the nature of my work meant that I just couldn't continue that way.

#22 eilca

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

Menopause has been so cruel for me. My sisters reported sailing through it. I am getting so many stereotypical symptoms that it is one heck of a ride.

I have even gad to start using eye drops for extra lubrication- who would have predicted that!?!?

#23 ABabyPlease

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:54 PM

That's a good explanation BAG. Sorry if my post came across as flippant.

Menopause is so different for everyone and I'm only four years in to it.

#24 Soontobegran

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:13 PM

My Fitbit has shown me just how little I sleep. I thought it was true and felt it to be true but it is a bit scary to see it in a graph.
Years ago I was never in bed long but the sleep I had was cleansing and enough.

Be careful using OTC Melatonin. It is not well regulated and dosages have been found to be quite different to their stated dosage.

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:58 PM

View PostABabyPlease, on 05 September 2019 - 09:54 PM, said:

That's a good explanation BAG. Sorry if my post came across as flippant.

Menopause is so different for everyone and I'm only four years in to it.

No, it didn't come across as flippant, just that I'm wary of other people's broad explanations.

I heard one woman one day describing her hot flushes - right down to the last detail it was identical to mine, but finished off with 'and this was happening at least twice a day!'.  Hmm, sounded like bliss to me, with my every 20 minutes.

And with that, I was fortunate, some people who have as many as Ihad, have rolling ones, then nothing for an hour, so they can't even work around them.

I learnt to time my walking out the door, getting in the car, drinking a cup of tea, taking the rubbish out, getting into bed, getting out of bed, getting undressed for a shower, getting dressed etc etc to around them.  Bizarre way to live your life though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.