AFL Finals

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 10YearsLater

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

Who is your pick?

I’m a WC fan so I’m backing eagles for back-to-back but Richmond looking dangerous (though not looking convincing right now) and Brisbane are hungry!

Anyone but Collingwood...

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

There's already a thread. :)

ETA:  Which you started ...!!

Edited by born.a.girl, 07 September 2019 - 08:38 PM.

#3 10YearsLater

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

I knew I did but I can’t see it anywhere!!!

That’s just weird

#4 10YearsLater

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:15 PM

Ok. I found it in the wrong sub forum.

Soz..

No idea how that happened.

Richmond now destroying lions. Boo.

#5 71Cath

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

Now I don't know which thread to post in!  Can we merge?

#6 dadwasathome

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

View Post~9YearsLater, on 07 September 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Ok. I found it in the wrong sub forum.

Soz..

No idea how that happened.

Richmond now destroying lions. Boo.

It seemed strange to be in London 2012, but....

I didn't see the end of the game - did Brisbane supporters boo Richmond post-match?

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:57 AM

View Postdadwasathome, on 11 September 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

It seemed strange to be in London 2012, but....

I didn't see the end of the game - did Brisbane supporters boo Richmond post-match?

Just had a quick look at it, and no. Any booing would have been outshouted by the Richmond cheering though.

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

People's picks for the coming weekend?

I know WC and Brisbane are favourites, but not convinced with either.

Obviously, Go Cats.

#9 annodam

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

View Post~9YearsLater, on 07 September 2019 - 08:30 PM, said:

Anyone but Collingwood...

Yeah no worries!

Anyone but Collingwood, yeah let's follow the I hate Collingwood crowd...
Why?  WTF knows?
I don't have a specific reason as to why I guess but because everyone says anyone but Collingwood, I'm just being a sheep because I have no idea so can't actually give a specific answer!

Oh hang on, yeah I do... Eddie!

Pfft!

#10 71Cath

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

Well yes, Eddie is the most annoying man on the planet, but I also am on Team "Anyone but Collingwood" because Collingwood beat St Kilda after the tied Grand Final.

Go Richmond.

#11 dadwasathome

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

Giants over Brisbane - Swannies are out, so need to support the other local team. I think GWS home ground may be closer to home that Swans. Also that Brisbane booing thing I bang on about.

Geelong, although they need to do a lot better than last week..

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

View Postdadwasathome, on 11 September 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

Giants over Brisbane - Swannies are out, so need to support the other local team. I think GWS home ground may be closer to home that Swans. Also that Brisbane booing thing I bang on about.

Geelong, although they need to do a lot better than last week..

I believe the GWS stadium is lovely, but I also love old ones like the SCG.  Glad they kept the old parts of Adelaide oval too.   AND that it will forever be called Adelaide Oval.

Not like whatever Docklands is from day to day.

#13 dadwasathome

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 11 September 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

I believe the GWS stadium is lovely, but I also love old ones like the SCG.  Glad they kept the old parts of Adelaide oval too.   AND that it will forever be called Adelaide Oval.

GWS (Spotless) Stadium is Sydney Showground madeover to be playable. SCG is much better (even better in the Members, according to DP who is occasionally invited).

I've only been to Marvelasitisnow once and quite enjoyed it - NM v Hawks.

Edited by dadwasathome, 11 September 2019 - 02:01 PM.

#14 71Cath

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 11 September 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

I wish they would stop changing the names of the stadiums, I get so confused.

#15 annodam

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

View Post71Cath, on 11 September 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

Well yes, Eddie is the most annoying man on the planet, but I also am on Team "Anyone but Collingwood" because Collingwood beat St Kilda after the tied Grand Final.

Go Richmond.

But who the hell cares about Eddie does & says at the end of the day?
However, given you're a St.Kilda fan, I can totally accept going against Collingwood after 2010.

But a WC supporter?  A team which has been in the AFL since 1987?

I can also understand Essendon/Carlton/Richmond & I'll even add Melbourne supporters to an extent (not that there's been any real rivalry there anymore since the 50/60s) but the rest of the supporters are just talking sh*t & jumping on the I hate Collingwood bandwagon because that's what everyone else does, so why not them...

A bit like 95% of the population wearing Yankees caps yet ask them who the starting P is for the Yankees & they'll look at you like you have 23 heads!

#16 just roses

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:33 PM

I’m worried about Brisbane. I’ve allowed myself to dream for the first time in 15 years...

#17 10YearsLater

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:37 PM

What is the acceptable amount of time to be part of the AFL to be allowed to dislike Collingwood? I haven’t read the rules.

You’re right, it’s a crowd mentality and an AFL right of passage to be ‘anyone but Collingwood’.

Eddie has done little to boost Collingwood’s appeal.

My statement actually comes from a very recent place... I simply don’t want to see the team we beat last year get ahead of us.  So... anyone but Collingwood. Is that a good enough reason?

Try not to take it so personally. It’s sport and hating Collingwood is also a sport. Surely as a lifelong supporter you’d know that better than any.

WC certainly get their fair share of hate from Victorians. And it’s all coming back again now since Rioli... the fresh round of drug addict jokes have started.

So on that note...

WC will either use this incident to fuel their fire just as they did last year after Gaff or they’ll go down in a screaming heap tonight. Obviously I’m hoping for the former.

Hoping Brisbane can hang on. Not confident they can but I’m on their side.

If WC get through tonight I’m predicting a repeat of the 2018 grand final.

Edited for weird quoting thing.

Edited by ~9YearsLater, 13 September 2019 - 01:40 PM.

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:48 PM

View Post~9YearsLater, on 13 September 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

What is the acceptable amount of time to be part of the AFL to be allowed to dislike Collingwood? I haven’t read the rules.

You’re right, it’s a crowd mentality and an AFL right of passage to be ‘anyone but Collingwood’.

My statement actually comes from a very recent place... I simply don’t want to see the team we beat last year get ahead of us.  So... anyone but Collingwood. Is that a good enough reason?

Try not to take it so personally. It’s sport and hating Collingwood is also a sport. Surely as a lifelong supporter you’d know that better than any.

WC certainly get their fair share of hate from Victorians. And it’s all coming back again now since Rioli... the fresh round of drug addict jokes have started.

So on that note...

WC will either use this incident to fuel their fire just as they did last year after Gaff or they’ll go down in a screaming heap tonight. Obviously I’m hoping for the former.

The ones I've seen have been from followers of all teams, half of whom are in Victoria, so hardly a surprise if most comes from there.*

Tell me in all honesty, that West Coast would not have joined the chorus if it had been a player from another team.

As a Cats fan, if we win tonight, I just hope I don't hear any 'well if we'd had Rioli ...'... We're without two top players, Mitch Duncan and Gary Rohan, so you're still ahead of us, bodies wise.

I agree though, the psychological element can have an impact.

Adelaide's advisors goofed up big time year before last with their macho man stance before the Grand Final. I've no doubt in a different mindset they'd have been able to win.

I've tipped Brisbane to beat GWS, but not with confidence.

*ETA: I should add, I think the comments are juvenile and pointless.  It's one player.

Edited by born.a.girl, 13 September 2019 - 01:50 PM.

#19 Jo.F

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

As a long time Richmond supporter I also hate Collingwood, moreso because they knocked us out in the Prelim last year so I want them gone. I'm tipping West Coast to beat Geelong and I think the Giants might get over Brisbane.

Then Richmond will beat West Coast, Giants will beat Collingwood

Then Richmond will beat Giants and win the premiership :grin:

#wishfulthinkinglol

#20 10YearsLater

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 13 September 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

The ones I've seen have been from followers of all teams, half of whom are in Victoria, so hardly a surprise if most comes from there.*

Tell me in all honesty, that West Coast would not have joined the chorus if it had been a player from another team.

As a Cats fan, if we win tonight, I just hope I don't hear any 'well if we'd had Rioli ...'... We're without two top players, Mitch Duncan and Gary Rohan, so you're still ahead of us, bodies wise.

I agree though, the psychological element can have an impact.

Adelaide's advisors goofed up big time year before last with their macho man stance before the Grand Final. I've no doubt in a different mindset they'd have been able to win.

I've tipped Brisbane to beat GWS, but not with confidence.

*ETA: I should add, I think the comments are juvenile and pointless.  It's one player.

Oh I know WC fans would do the same. I highlight that it’s all part of it. The game is built on niggles and digs. We have a history which no one will forget just as Collingwood have a reputation of a team that everyone loves to hate. It’s all part of it.

I think we’ve shown we’re bigger than one player. You’ll get those who may use it as an excuse if it doesn’t go our way tonight but WC have shown they’ve grown amazingly in the past decade. As a team. So we are more than Willie or Nic Nat or Gaff... and I think that’s done us well in recent years. Our culture has long moved on.

EFS

Edited by ~9YearsLater, 13 September 2019 - 02:39 PM.

#21 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:14 PM

I’m going for west coast. I used to play with the captain when we were little and he is from my sanfl team so always have a soft spot for him.
And Brisbane. Really want them to win the flag

#22 10YearsLater

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:16 PM

View Postlizzybirdsworth, on 13 September 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

I’m going for west coast. I used to play with the captain when we were little and he is from my sanfl team so always have a soft spot for him.
And Brisbane. Really want them to win the flag

We love Bunga! He’s all class. The best thing SA did for our team ❤️

#23 Lees75

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

I hate the Pies because I am a Bombers girl. It’s just what we do- lol! Although last year I was barracking for them to support Varcoe, as his sister, Maggie, who died last year from a football injury, played at the same club as DS- North ADELAIDE Roosters.

This weekend I am supporting the Cats and Lions, although I think GWS might win.

#24 born.a.girl

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

View PostLees75, on 13 September 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

I hate the Pies because I am a Bombers girl. It’s just what we do- lol! Although last year I was barracking for them to support Varcoe, as his sister, Maggie, who died last year from a football injury, played at the same club as DS- North ADELAIDE Roosters.

This weekend I am supporting the Cats and Lions, although I think GWS might win.

I just don't understand GWS. They have the talent, they played out of their skins last weekend, yet I watched them cave meekly to a Hawthorn team that didn't even make the finals.

I know there are other teams with these sorts of question marks around them, er, um, Essendon (Ryder coming back?) and Port, then Geelong in the latter part of the year.

Seems to have been going on for years though, with GWS.

I looked over Brisbane's results after last week, and they have a knack for inaccurate kicking, let's hope they spent some time on the skill during the week!

#25 annodam

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

View Post~9YearsLater, on 13 September 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

So on that note...

You need to be worried about your own team & their drug taking players & leave Collingwood to the Collingwood supporters.

The beauty of this is, after tonight, they'll be a couple of posters here who'll be sulking, so with that - Happy Friday the 13th!

EFS:

Edited by annodam, 13 September 2019 - 03:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.