Anyone baking today?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:45 PM

I’ve used some pie filling to make party pies, which became lunch. Also, I made ds some ham/pineapple/cheese spirals for freezer lunches. Have used up a couple of soft apples in muesli bars. Fingers crossed for those ones, but I suspect only dd will like those.

#2 (feral)epg

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:48 PM

Bread.  I make all my own, and it's seriously good after 3 years of tweaking the recipes.  Too good apparently because my family now goes through at least 4 loaves a week.

Also butter biscuits using mums biscuit gun that we dragged out of storage.  Super for the kids and makes really cute little old fashioned cookies.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

Oh I love those cookie press things.

I’ve actually run out of plain flour, so I can’t make anything else even though I’m itching to.

#4 joeyinthesky

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

Yum, your list sounds a crummy - scrolls are made frequently here too for lunchboxes.

This just came out of the oven and smells just as I remember from my childhood - can’t wait to cut it!  https://www.womenswe...ingerbread-6277

And some cheese, corn & bacon muffins with assorted chopped random fridge vegetables to clean out the crisper. Will be lunchbox/freezer fodder. Smelling delicious too!

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

Whats the trick for making the scrolls not soggy on the bottom. I made a batch yesterday & whilst they tasted good, they were soggy.

Ive got to drag myself off the couch to make up a batch of muffins for school lunches - orange & sultana.

#6 WaitForMe

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:03 PM

Just my usual batch of lunchbox/breakfast muffins so far.

I'd like to make some shortbread and maybe protein balls but DD2 is asleep and I use the food processor for those. Too noisy to risk.

#7 Riotproof

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 08 September 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

Whats the trick for making the scrolls not soggy on the bottom. I made a batch yesterday & whilst they tasted good, they were soggy.

I sprayed the tray with oil and I also drained the pineapple on paper towels. Obviously only applicable if you are using pineapple.

#8 Team Awesome

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

I’m making egg pies I guess you could call them. Mostly for DD3 to eat for breakfast as she needs the protein first thing.

For dinner I’m baking subway style rolls (I don’t have a thermometer but have had success with the recipe below) and we’re having chicken meatball subs for dinner haven’t worked out the sauce component yet https://www.tm-essen...erb-cheese-subs

#9 BBC

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

Didn't bake but did make jam.
1 batch strawberry, one batch mixed berry. Hope it sets.

#10 Future-self

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

Dairy free choc and zucchini muffins and Dairy free raspberry muffins for DDs kindy freezer

Cheat cinnamon scrolls using store bought pastry. Very quick and DS loves them

#11 cookiegurl

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostBBC, on 08 September 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

Didn't bake but did make jam.
1 batch strawberry, one batch mixed berry. Hope it sets.

I made jam too! Strawberries fairly cheap now, so one batch of that and one of blueberry. I do add Jamsetta to make it set.

#12 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

Nagi’s peanut butter biscuits - quick enough even if DS only has a 40 minute nap.

#13 BBC

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

Yes, I think you need jamsetta with berries.

Strawberries were $1.00 per punnet and blueberries were $2.00 per punnet.  Hence the jam....

#14 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:44 PM

I made a blackberry pie and a quiche yesterday.  Not to be outdone DH is making apple and peach pies today!  

Which brings me to a spin-off question, if you use sheet pastry and you have bits of it left over, does anyone refreeze it and use later?  How do you not waste it?

I actually prefer to make the pastry for this reason but DH uses the pie maker so he prefers the sheets.

#15 Quick hedgehog

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

Joeyinthesky.  Just put that gingerbread in the oven. I love gingerbread.  

Going to make some puff pastry Vegemite scrolls for tomorrow's lunch boxes seeing as the oven's on now

#16 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

Cup of tea, a biscuit, and DS still asleep.... ahhhh.

PP - I usually use up little extra bits by sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar and making into little twists.

#17 opethmum

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

Just made apple and cinnamon scones, and damn I make good ones.

They're all gone. GONE!!!!

Damn they were good!!

#18 tarrie cat

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:19 PM

Well, not today but I made cookies n cream ice cream. Baked the cookies and made the custard on Friday and then churned it yesterday. Kid got to help break up the cookies to go in the custard. 99% made it in but she did sneak a bit of cookie.

#19 PrincessPeach

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 08 September 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

I sprayed the tray with oil and I also drained the pineapple on paper towels. Obviously only applicable if you are using pineapple.

Thanks! Yes i only drained the pineapple in a sieve, it must have been too wet.

#20 ~elle~

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:10 AM

I do scrolls on a perforated pizza tray with just a sheet of baking paper.

#21 cstar

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:42 PM

I made brownies today

#22 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Team Awesome, please share the recipe for the egg pies.

Much appreciated.

#23 Lunafreya

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

Can't wait to get my new place and do some baking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.