Red meat or iron boosting meals ideas

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 The Princess

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

On top of everything else, I now have seriously low iron levels, as a result I have been put on a iron supplement and having an iron transfusion this week.

For the last 5 months I have been having red meat and leafy green veggies 3-4 times a week, as requested by my medical team, but it doesn’t seem to be enough.

In 2 months my iron levels have gone from 21 to 10.

I am after ideas for red meat meals and other iron boosting ideas, but offal of any form in out.

I am about to include orange juice back in my diet to help absorb the iron, when I can find a suitable time to have it.

Thanks

Edited by The Princess, 09 September 2019 - 06:09 PM.

#2 MooGuru

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:20 PM

Have your b12 levels been checked?
My iron levels are wholly dependent on b12 levels changes in diet make no difference for me. I know b12 is not routinely checked for.

#3 The Princess

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:21 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 09 September 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

Have your b12 levels been checked?
My iron levels are wholly dependent on b12 levels changes in diet make no difference for me. I know b12 is not routinely checked for.

Yes b12 levels are fine

#4 IamzFeralz

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:26 PM

I also have problem iron levels.  Has your GP run further tests to get to the bottom of it?   There may be many causes such as cealic disease, helicobacter pylori etc that need different strategies and treatments.

I have just invested in a cast iron frying pan!

#5 The Princess

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:29 PM

View PostIamzFeralz, on 09 September 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

I also have problem iron levels.  Has your GP run further tests to get to the bottom of it?   There may be many causes such as cealic disease, helicobacter pylori etc that need different strategies and treatments.

I have just invested in a cast iron frying pan!

This was all done when I was in hospital. I believe it is related to a heavy period I had in July, after not having one since February. No idea when or if the next one will come due to tha hormone blockers I am on.

#6 JomoMum

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

The iron transfusion will change your life!

The few red meat meals we have on high rotation are

Burritoes/nachos
Roast beef and veg
Beef stroganoff

#7 WaitForMe

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:42 PM

Yeah I was going to say cooking with iron.

I hear cooking beef with tomatoes and spinach is good. I quite like meatballs in a tomato sauce on a bed of baby spinach leaves.

But if you are already eating red meat a few times a week surely its not diet thats the problem.

#8 The Princess

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:44 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 09 September 2019 - 06:42 PM, said:

Yeah I was going to say cooking with iron.

I hear cooking beef with tomatoes and spinach is good. I quite like meatballs in a tomato sauce on a bed of baby spinach leaves.

But if you are already eating red meat a few times a week surely its not diet thats the problem.

That’s why I think it’s the heavy period I had. I am hoping that’s the last I see of them, but no way of knowing.

#9 rosie28

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:50 PM

Ask for an iron infusion- it’s much easier to maintain higher levels once you’re up there.

#10 blimkybill

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:50 PM

There are other medical conditions which can cause iron deficiency.  If you are eating red meat 3 times a week plus plenty of green veg then you shouldn't be dropping levels like that. I would be monitoring and/or asking for further investigations.

Another diet tip is to add citrus or acid (eg vinegar) to vegetable sources of iron. And, maybe eat an iron fortified breakfast cereal.  But honestly you are eating more iron than many people who have healthy iron levels.

#11 The Princess

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

View Postrosie28, on 09 September 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

Ask for an iron infusion- it’s much easier to maintain higher levels once you’re up there.

I am having one this week

#12 The Princess

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

View Postblimkybill, on 09 September 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

There are other medical conditions which can cause iron deficiency.  If you are eating red meat 3 times a week plus plenty of green veg then you shouldn't be dropping levels like that. I would be monitoring and/or asking for further investigations.

Another diet tip is to add citrus or acid (eg vinegar) to vegetable sources of iron. And, maybe eat an iron fortified breakfast cereal.  But honestly you are eating more iron than many people who have healthy iron levels.

They did all the investigations in hospital, so none of medical team think they need doing again. Hopefully the transfusion will work.

Edited by The Princess, 09 September 2019 - 06:55 PM.

#13 BBC

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

Beef stew

Beef slow cooking meat (chuck, rump, topside etc). Cut into big chunks
Carrots, chop into chunks
Zucchini chunks
Onions, chopped
Garlic
Beef stock cube
Plain flour (about a dessert spoon)
Tin of tomatoes
Big squirt of BBQ sauce

Put it all in the slow cooker and stir. Cook on high until meat is tender, stirring every now and then. Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes and a green veg.

You could also add parsnip, swede, mushrooms, pumpkin.
Or add potato or sweet potato in big chunks and then you don't need to make mashed potatoes.

#14 BornToLove

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:55 PM

DD has low iron levels and is on a supplement. I find the easiest way to add iron to our food is spinach. It gets added to basically everything. Toss a handful or two in to soups, salads, rice and pasta dishes in the last few minutes of cooking (enough to wilt and mix in).

#15 molinero

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:00 PM

Beef stirfry with capsicum, as it's high in vit C helps to absorb the iron.

I have also read that drinking things like tea and green tea can prevent the body absorbing iron, so if you do drink those, consider cutting back especially at meal times.

#16 The Princess

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:08 PM

View Postmolinero, on 09 September 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Beef stirfry with capsicum, as it's high in vit C helps to absorb the iron.

I have also read that drinking things like tea and green tea can prevent the body absorbing iron, so if you do drink those, consider cutting back especially at meal times.

I rarely drink tea. Although I do have a chamomile tea at night, I usually have a coffee in the morning, but I don’t mix that with my iron supplement

#17 Angelcandy

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

Do you like liquorice? Or Milo?

Strawberries and kiwi fruit are good for vitamin C if you don’t like Orange Juice...

#18 The Princess

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:25 PM

View PostAngelcandy, on 09 September 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

Do you like liquorice? Or Milo?

Strawberries and kiwi fruit are good for vitamin C if you don’t like Orange Juice...

Milo yes, liquorice is ok.

#19 alfoil hat

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:57 AM

A cast iron frying pan is a great idea but if you don’t want to be constrained to one pan, there’s this: https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B01LX5S5FP

#20 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Definitely cooking with iron, I was told even camping frypan (cast iron ones) were all right to use if couldn’t get an expensive one. I was also eating chicken liver pate, was told it was pretty high in iron.

#21 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

Avoid pairing your red meat with food containing calcium - calcium inhibits iron absoprtion.

So no brocolli, almonds (or almond milk), dairy etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.