Cat or possum marking front door HELP

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 steppingonlego

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:45 AM

We have two indoor only cats and recently I think either a possum or cat is marking the glass at our front door.

There is a very strong odour (revolting) and I can see wet spray on an area of the glass the mornings we can smell this we live in a small home and the smell really goes into about two rooms.

Is there any plant or smell I can place there to discourage them marking the door? We have full transparent glass doors so not sure if neighbourhood cats can see our cats and mark or if it is a possum as they are everywhere.

Thanks

#2 Jo.F

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:42 AM

I think you can get a spray, like what you'd use to stop them scratching furniture, that has a certain scent that puts cats off. I think it also smells a bit yuck but not as bad as an animal spraying.

https://www.catch.co...WBoC4fUQAvD_BwE

says you can use it outdoors so it might be worth a try?

#3 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

Not sure about possums, but for cats you could try some eucalyptus or tea tree oil and spray it around the area. They dislike citrus smells as well.

#4 Lakegirl

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

We had the same issue with our front door. I read somewhere that a rosemary plant can help. I popped one next to the door about two years ago and we've only had one spray since.

#5 steppingonlego

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

Thanks guys I might try a combo of tea tree and a rosemary plant :)

#6 gracie1978

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

They really really hate citrus smells.
Used to keep this disgusting lemon hand cream for guests, any who weren't overly interested in my very affectionate cat used it like a repellent.
I also used to use orange power spray in the kitchen to keep him off the benches

#7 Wahwah

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:35 PM

I've used the Orange Power spray too, to keep cats away from the front door. Seemed to work. You can get it at the supermarket in the cleaning aisle.

#8 Froyo

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:38 PM

It'd be a cat. I find good old lemon scented Spray and Wipe works.

#9 kadoodle

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:56 PM

I’m inclined to suspect a cat, as possums prefer to spray higher up (around your eaves and upstairs windows). Lemon scented anything or a bug zapper works well.

#10 steppingonlego

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

Thanks I dropped some tea tree oil about it hasn’t happened since but will also grab the orange spray

#11 QuirkyMum

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:08 AM

It would be a possum.
They do it every year at exactly this time of the year ( we don't have cats).
Thanks for all your suggestions PP!

#12 ~Kay~

Posted Yesterday, 03:39 PM

https://mobile.abc.n...elaide/11527730

Saw this article and immediately thought of this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.