G O D

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#101 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:21 PM

View Postgettin my fance on, on 12 September 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

Yes, the old 'what church do you go to?' question.

yep....and the invite....”dinner with my church group?” - but when i say “i have my atheist book club that night, we’re doing The God Delusion” - that gets pursed lips and raised eyebrows and wounded feelings....but how is one any better or worse than the other?

#102 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:51 PM

Yet again I’m struck by how strange my experience of living in inner Sydney is from elsewhere in Australia... my kids never encountered any other kids at kindy talking about hell, fire or brimstone...I rarely hear anyone talking about religion or faith at all - in fact am embarrassed to talk about anything remotely faith related in real life except to my closest friends...it just seems a very unacceptable topic of conversation in my circles (probably more in line with the opinions expressed in this thread).

Lizzzard - I'm in the same lala land as you, although i don't live in a particularly multicultural or diverse area.  Just mainstream, middle class suburbia.    

Which is why I get a bit upset and go the #NotallChristians  when I hear the "Christians constantly do XYZ, Christians are always ............".  I have never been asked what church I go to - and the answer is "I don't".    My old neighbour did ask me to go to her church once, but that is once, in my nearly 50 years, two cities, and many, many houses, flats, suburbs etc.

I get that it happens, but is it really as constant for some people as this thread seems to imply?    Even to the extent that Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist people are better?

I also have devout Catholic family members, and friends who are Christians,   one family we are close to are in Hillsong - I never hear any talk of religion.  It doesn't come up, other than the occasional "I was at church the other day and ...........".  It's not about preaching, its not about one-upmanship that they were at church and I wasn't, it's just normal conversation like "I was in Woolies the other day......."

Anecdotally, from reading EB threads, I'm getting the feeling that there is a lot more preaching and judgement by Christians in the public school system than in my kids Anglican ones or the Uniting, Catholic or other religious schools around here.

#103 got my tinsel on

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:52 PM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 12 September 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

Where? This is what I don’t get. Other than the occasional doorknockers and a Jehovah’s Witness child that I looked after on summer camp in Canada and brought a bunch of propaganda flyers to camp, I can’t think of any everyday time or place where people have tried to convert me to their belief system.

Standing at the bottom of the stairs at the station with pamphlets they push at people.

Standing outside all the entrances to the local shopping centre, again with pamphlets they push at people.

We took DD to a new park when she was a pre-schooler.  A bloke with his little one turned up - kids started playing, he asked if he could share the only seating (a picnic table and bench set up).  'Of course!' we said.

He introduced himself and within a minute of conversation, he asked 'what church do you go to? I'm new to the area and have just started going to Hillsong - such a great place... yada yada yada...Do you want to go, I could introduce you'.

Some of the mums at primary school pick up and drop off, same song, different arrangment - they just HAVE to drop their church into the conversation.  eg 'When we were at church last weekend, yada yada yada… what church do you go to?'

Just shut up!

Keep it to yourselves!

We don't want to know, we don't want to go!

#104 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:55 PM

getting my fancie on - That would freak me out and annoy me no end!   I would totally get the religion hate and frustration if I lived in your area.

(love the new name, btw.)

#105 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:00 PM

i’m inner sydney - balmain - kids go to local public school ...but yeh, we get the fire and brimstone ...we got the door knockers throughout the SSM campaign, and we get them periodically regardless of what’s going on politically....there’s this weird church youth group that’s opened up opposite my sons school - took over an old shop that had the street no 666 - truly. think it’s affiliated with the anglican church ...it could be innocuous but i’m suspicious (never see anyone in there)

#106 IamtheMumma

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:07 PM

Something I've noticed is those who have faith, don't notice the daily discussions and nuances because it is normal to talk about prayer, bible study, the topic of sermon or the latest fundraiser.

To someone who has never encountered religion/that religion before and to those, like myself, who were raised in religion and are now atheists, it is an every day topic and it is every where.

It is like when you want to buy a new car and start looking at a particular model. Suddenly, you see them everywhere. You've never noticed it before because you weren't looking. It was just another car. Religion is kinda like that once you decide to start paying attention to how prevalent it is.

#107 SeaPrincess

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

I’ve never seen them at the station locally or in the CBD.
I’ve never seen them at the shops. I’m more likely to be trying to avoid the smokers who insist on smoking under the no smoking signs.
Not at the park.
Not at school, although I know there are families who go to church. It came up with one in the course of arranging pick up from a sleepover - they offered to drop DS1 home on their way to church. Clearly no intention to convert him.
We didn’t get doorknockers during the SSM campaign.

Maybe I just don’t look friendly enough to approach!

#108 got my tinsel on

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 12 September 2019 - 09:07 PM, said:

Religion is kinda like that once you decide to start paying attention to how prevalent it is.

Nah.

You really don't have to be paying attention to it - it is very prevalent and becoming moreso.

The increase in evangelical churches certainly doesn't help - I sometimes wonder whether the congregations of these churches get spotter's fees for bringing in new people to pay a tithe.

And they can be really sneaky.  DD recently had someone posing as an 'international student' just outside the uni campus asking if she would be willing to participate in a survey for an 'assignment'.  Having time to kill before her bus came and knowing how difficult it can be to get sufficient data for research, she said yes.  Well it wasn't a survey at all, was it?  Guess what the questions were about and there was no recording of data.  Others had also been caught out as there was a warning on the uni social media sites about it.

#109 Ellie bean

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:06 PM

I don’t think anyone has ever asked what church I go to ever! I must move in very non religious circles

#110 JinksNewton

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:10 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 12 September 2019 - 08:51 PM, said:

Which is why I get a bit upset and go the #NotallChristians  when I hear the "Christians constantly do XYZ, Christians are always ............".  I have never been asked what church I go to - and the answer is "I don't".    My old neighbour did ask me to go to her church once, but that is once, in my nearly 50 years, two cities, and many, many houses, flats, suburbs etc.

It's the equivalent of saying "all atheists are revolting blowhards like Richard Dawkins or Ricky Gervais", both of whom I despise for reasons unrelated to their atheism....but I mean you know what all atheists are like, so it must be related to that really /sarcasm.

No hellfire questions here, when I was a kid or at DS' school now. I get the very occasional JW doorknocker but apart from that we don't ever get bothered. I was actually the religious kid at my primary school but I don't think it ever came up (having parents who don't believe in hell probably helped)
I think maybe most cities have particular areas.that evangelists are thicker on the ground, hopefully I don't end up living in one of them.

#111 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:15 PM

I feel ripped off - nobody asks me what church I go too, we don’t get doorknockers or preachers in the street or people wanting to give me pamphlets in public spaces.

Seriously I am totally ripped off!!

#112 got my tinsel on

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:25 PM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 12 September 2019 - 10:15 PM, said:

I feel ripped off - nobody asks me what church I go too, we don’t get doorknockers or preachers in the street or people wanting to give me pamphlets in public spaces.

Seriously I am totally ripped off!!

I'll doorknock you if you'd like.  I'll bring the gin and tonic or you can name your poison.  :yes:

#113 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:34 PM

I'm going to have to ask my friends about their religious beliefs, I have no idea except for two of them...

#114 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:36 PM

Something I've noticed is those who have faith, don't notice the daily discussions and nuances because it is normal to talk about prayer, bible study, the topic of sermon or the latest fundraiser.

No - seriously, just NO.  It is not.  Not for all of "those who have faith".  

it is not normal in my world to talk about prayer (other than saying "Jesus CHrist', or "holy sh*t' etc), I've never been to bible study in my life, and I cannot remember the last sermon I heard, other than at my Uncle's funeral about 6 years ago.

Please can we give the generalising a rest.  I

#115 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:49 PM

Speaking as a person of faith, I do in fact notice discussions about religion because they are relatively rare (unless I am at church). It's not usual for me to start one but I am happy to answer questions should they be asked which often happens if people am aware I attend church.

#116 RynandStompy

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:53 PM

View Postgettin my fance on, on 11 September 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

My 5yo non-scripture attending DD was very upset after being told by a scripture attending kid that god was going to kill her for not believing.

It wasn't a case of wipe her tears and she'd forgotten about it.  She was too afraid to go to sleep or not be in the same room as DH or I when at home.

Yep my DD at age 5 & 6 got this too. Apparently she was a bad person for saying at school that our family didn't believe in God. So she'd die in hell.
She did have some tears and nightmares from the experience  but she's pretty angsty anyway so if not that then something else. Still no fun for the family in working through it though.

It was upsetting for her as she hates confrontation,  but she worked through it. It hasnt come up in Grade 2 or 3 that I know of.  
The public primary school demographic skews non white, with mainly Nepalese, Indian, different Asian, and folk from several predominantly Muslim countries. I was frankly puzzled at the talk of G O D as I'd assumed other deity names would arise. And there'd been plenty of white flight to the Catholic primary down the road anyway...

At the time I put it down to preppies sharing what their families did and being tactlessly puzzled to learn what other families did differently..and I gather just a couple took it further ongoing to taunt or try to exclude.

Regardless, we initially started with 'some people believe' and over the months progressed into discussions of intolerance,  rudeness and how people try to bully using religion as an excuse.
We also talked about being kind and how people who preach religious rules but are not kind are hypocrites.
We tried to equip her with tools for not getting into having to defend herself for her or our opinions. But being able to stand her ground.

Because she'd been quite unexposed to religion from us, we started discussing some religion mythologies and observances so she'd be able to understand conversational context..and so no one could twist her ignorance into brainwashing opportunity.

..I think she found it easier to declare Agnostic in the end as it kept her less notable than Athiest.
It was a learning experience in the end (as we say), but hasn't made her inclined to be religious at all so far.

#117 got my tinsel on

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:14 AM

The interaction happened after the first scripture session.  In the playground, a boy who shared a classroom table with DD asked her which scripture she had gone to (probably because she had not been at the same one he had attended - Anglican/Christian).  She said she went to the non-scripture classroom, he asked why, she said because she didn't have a religion, he asked if she believed in god, she said no and that's when he said that god would kill her.

#118 Amica

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:41 AM

An 'old man' gave my 7 year old son a CD in Bunnings about 2 months ago when DH and I were discussing a product with a sales person. We didn't notice it happen. The CD is of Christian children's music. I was so mad. HOW DARE HE. How dare he approach a minor intentionally when his/her parent's attention is divided, and how dare he solicit that rot uninvited.

Was filling up my tank at the browser fairly recently too and noticed Jesus preaching flyers placed near the water and towel of each pump. I grabbed them as I walked past and threw them out.

These people and their ilk are cockroaches.

Edited by AliasMater, 13 September 2019 - 05:42 AM.

#119 .Jerry.

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:42 AM

Religion does inch into my life a bit.
It does so via Facebook, with family/friends putting religious posts up at times.  I counter that with enough atheist posts though, so fair is fair.

It also comes into my day with the "I'll pray for you" comments.  These irritate me no end. I want to say "Don't waste your time", but I just cringe inwardly and move on.  I wish they didn't say it though.

It comes up in conversations at times too, about churches, death, birth, marriage etc.  I do say my bit about atheism and my rejection of any god.  Still respectful, but often too blunt for the religious people, who then give me sad, pitying looks.

#120 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:56 AM

View Post.Jerry., on 13 September 2019 - 05:42 AM, said:

Religion does inch into my life a bit.
It does so via Facebook, with family/friends putting religious posts up at times.  I counter that with enough atheist posts though, so fair is fair.

It also comes into my day with the "I'll pray for you" comments.  These irritate me no end. I want to say "Don't waste your time", but I just cringe inwardly and move on.  I wish they didn't say it though.

It comes up in conversations at times too, about churches, death, birth, marriage etc.  I do say my bit about atheism and my rejection of any god.  Still respectful, but often too blunt for the religious people, who then give me sad, pitying looks.

ah yes, the sad pitying looks. or the other one i get is a look of annoyance, like i’ve just told them “well actually i’m an atheist” to be provocative ....like a rebellious teenager suddenly declaring herself a marxist to her Liberal party parents in order to p*ss them off....

#121 Lees75

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

View Postgettin my fance on, on 13 September 2019 - 01:14 AM, said:

The interaction happened after the first scripture session.  In the playground, a boy who shared a classroom table with DD asked her which scripture she had gone to (probably because she had not been at the same one he had attended - Anglican/Christian).  She said she went to the non-scripture classroom, he asked why, she said because she didn't have a religion, he asked if she believed in god, she said no and that's when he said that god would kill her.

I am left wondering if this type of behaviour from kids is more prevalent in places where they have scripture/RE classes? We don’t have anything at our primary school (SA) and I have never heard of conversations happening at our school. DD12 only just realised a few months ago that her best friend since Reception is a Christian like her, so obviously not a lot of conversation has been had between them about it! Our school is quite multicultural though, which might also make a difference.

#122 Mister Mum

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

But why do we have to respect and tolerate the delusions of these people?  I'm totally sick of it!

Anybody else who felt guided by an invisible being would be a candidate for antipsychotic medication.  The symptoms have been there for over 2000 years...

#123 Grinchette

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

View PostPocket..., on 12 September 2019 - 10:34 PM, said:

I'm going to have to ask my friends about their religious beliefs, I have no idea except for two of them...

Same.  I only found out what faith DD's friends were when we all applied for a Catholic HS - and discussed why some were accepted in the first round and why others are still waiting.  Otherwise I would have no idea who believes what and we currently attend an Anglican school - no one's ever tried to preach TBH.  Our closest friends, we've had for over 20 years and I don't know what their faith is.  Besides the one lunatic on the train and the odd pamphlet distributor at the station, I honestly haven't been accosted by anyone.

#124 purplekitty

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

Do people think we are lying?
That is my perception from previous threads.

I've been agnostic/atheist since I was 14 years old.
I've encountered it all.
Not so much personally in the last few years perhaps because I look old.
The political climate at the moment worries me more than ever though.
It is dangerous.

People did react negatively to being told I was an atheist in reaction to church discussions but I will not lie to a direct question.

My children went to RE,attended church with their friends etc. but we never denied our lack of belief to them if the subject came up.
The do not believe in God by their own choice.

#125 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

View PostMister Mum, on 13 September 2019 - 08:18 AM, said:

But why do we have to respect and tolerate the delusions of these people?  I'm totally sick of it!

Anybody else who felt guided by an invisible being would be a candidate for antipsychotic medication.  The symptoms have been there for over 2000 years...

OMG YES!!

Plus they have never tolerated anyone of non faith or a different faith.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.