G O D

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#151 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

Posted Image

this letter breaks me. every time i think “i need to relent, there’s some good in the church” i re read this and the rage boils to the top again. this is one story among countless...where loyalty to the church won over the love for your child. any institution that can brainwash a person in that manner is evil. there’s no good there. burn it to the ground.

#152 Chchgirl

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

View Postjovana, on 14 September 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

I'm the only atheist in the family, if you don't count children. DH is calling himself religious.
This led to many interesting discussions let's just say. I think they made peace with it now and aren't really trying to push me into it anymore.

I grew up in the part of the world where religion was an excuse for war and killing people who didn't have same beliefs. While I know most religions are peaceful bla bla, but I just bring myself to believe into something that brought me so much sadness. Also... science...

There's Jehovah's witnesses church just across the road. They've come knocking sooo many times. One time DS answered the door and said we're Muslims or something, they never came back. He's got dark hair and a longish beard lol.

Same,  a friend of mine in Sydney grew up in Bosnia and came here n the midst of everything in the 90's when she was in her 20's. I only met her 7 years ago. She met her husband here. Some of the stories she's told me made my toes curl....

Edited by Chchgirl, 14 September 2019 - 03:04 PM.

#153 IamtheMumma

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

View Postgruidae, on 14 September 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

I read it correctly but misinterpereted the motive. I thought you were thinking of my community and making the point that hiding identity to avoid making others uncomfortable was a virtue - my misinterperetation is because we've been told all our lives to keep it out of people's faces, that staying in the closet is the "polite" thing to do. Perhaps you can understand why I assumed this, mea culpa.

My community is very raw and fearful at the moment. Us older ones fear a return to the bad old days and we also see the young ones coming through who grew up in a more tolerant world having the scales removed from their eyes. Until the "debate we had to have" these young ones were way more live and let live about Christians than we were, heck even I was softening my views for a while there.

Then 2017 happened and to say it was vile is the understatement of the century.

The current climate - the Religious Freedom Bill and it's demands to see LGBT young people unfortunate enough to be burdened with religious parents expelled from school, then subsequently home etc - is what causes anti religion sentiment. Advocating within your parish does little to change that when religious hate becomes protected speech and the law of the land.

I am so sorry the hate continues. The marriage equality referendum should never have happened. The law should have just been amended. Obviously, the result was the right one, the damage it did is beyond measure. The level of hatred that was publicly demonstrated won't be forgotten any time soon.

#154 AnythingGoes

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:37 PM

Well we had our first discussion about god tonight. DS has been a bit stuck on the chicken and the egg thing recently and tonight he said 'and god made the egg, but wait who made god'.

Turns out that a couple of school friends have been talking about god a bit (and here I was thinking it wasn't a schoolyard topic for 6&7 year olds).

We talked about different creation myths - then he remembered bunjil the eagle and was quite excited by that idea because eagles are cool then landed on the same 'but who made bunjil'.

Then he said someone 'well you know that this isn't the real earth' and that someone on the real earth drew a picture. And I couldn't quite follow his theory of how the real earth was made but it involved stars. Or why this isn't the real earth - something to do with the space around the earth, the ground and colours - but he was pretty definite on that point.

#155 steppy

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:32 AM

View Postgruidae, on 14 September 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

My community is very raw and fearful at the moment. Us older ones fear a return to the bad old days and we also see the young ones coming through who grew up in a more tolerant world having the scales removed from their eyes. Until the "debate we had to have" these young ones were way more live and let live about Christians than we were, heck even I was softening my views for a while there.

And rightly fearful. Even being female is becoming scary again, never mind for anyone who is LGBTI+ It IS horrifying. I am still so frigging angry with Osama Bin Laden and his 9/11 attack being attributed to religious rather than economic and territorial concerns. That arced up all the fundamentalists everywhere and is leading us back down a dark path.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.