reading suggestions for young kids reading above age level

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 maryanneK

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:58 PM

wise EBers, I'm after suggestions for books for my 5 year old.

She's a very good reader.
The school is sending readers home that are about level 22 and she reads them easily. In her 'spare time/free reading' time she can pretty much read anything. She's read charlie and the chocolate factory... little 'first chapter book' level books she can easily manage. She's read a series with two girls name, forgot what its called, ella and olivia maybe?

Problem is finding books that match her age AND her reading level. For example, I'd love to give her more roald dahl but she's only 5 and the 'themes' are too dark for her. She bought home an animal book reader from school that included lion hunting and lions eating antelopes and that upset her.

I'm finding so many of the 'classics' are a bit dodgy... like enid blyton..I was thinking books like magic faraway tree that I remember reading in primary school but do they 'translate' to now?

ideas welcome!

#2 lozoodle

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:04 PM

What about Ella diaries and dork diaries? They are easy reads, but more a chapter book.
My girls are also loving the David Williams books but they might be a little old for her, I'm not sure of the themes exactly

#3 PizzaPlease

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

Our local library has a whole section devoted to early reader type chapter books. If you're struggling to find anything suitable at your local library it's probably worth having a chat with a librarian, they should be able to help you find something suitable.

#4 Riotproof

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

I would have a look a5 non fiction. National Geographic etc. depending on her interests, people might have specific suggestions.

#5 Dianalynch

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:16 PM

Ds, also 5, is a good reader and has recently enjoyed

The treehouse series (loves them, as did DD)
Weir Do / hotdog / ninja kid (all the anh do books)
Faraway tree series
The boy in the dress - David Walliams
Tiny Timmy series
Adam Blade books
Famous 5

Non fiction books in their area of interest are also good - ds has been reading books on space

Ds also doesn’t like anything ‘spooky’

ETA both my kids have noticed that some themes in Enid blyton are no longer relevant to how the world works, or should work. They enjoy the stories in the same way I do, and get that the books were written in another more racist and sexist time, and that our attitudes are different now. As an added benefit, your child may call the pantry the ‘larder’ for a while.

I have a relative who is a librarian, she gives us lots of ideas -  I second going to the library and asking for recommendations.

If your dd is on pm 22, books like Billie b brown will probably be too simple, she needs the ‘next level’ of chapter books

Edited by Dianalynch, 11 September 2019 - 09:34 PM.

#6 Bearynice

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:16 PM

There are early readers in faraway tree series... you could read them together and see what she thinks.
There should be a whole section at your local library with suitable books.
My boys liked Zac power books ( about a spy kid with gadgets) at that age.
I was thinking the Ella diaries might be good.

#7 kimasa

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:19 PM

Ella and Olivia spin off into two slightly longer series. The Ella Diaries and Olivia's Secret Scribbles.

This is actually somewhat common and there are loads of series that cater to this, but they're pretty broad. What is she interested in?

Otherwise, on the friendship/young kid theme the Ginger Green series is really good as far as subject matter goes. There's also The Cupcake Diaries, Go Girl, Billie B Brown (/Billie B Mysteries, the mysteries series are longer and use more advanced language), The Princess in Black, Little Lunch, The Critter Club, Squishy Taylor, Heidi Hecklebeck, Clementine Rose, Ivy and Bean.

And if she's into fairies, Rainbow Magic will keep her going for ages, I think they're up to 200 odd books by now, the fairies are notably racially and ability diverse, which is what I particularly like about them.

#8 MsLaurie

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

Gobbolino The Witches Cat was one I remember loving about that age. I round a reprint recently!
And The Enemies by Robin Kline. Not sure if that one is still available.

#9 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:29 PM

Billie B mystery series and princess in black were hits with DD when she was younger. She also devoured the Ella Diaries books.

Also at a higher level check out tge Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer (aka as Kurt from Glee).

#10 AdelTwins

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

13 story treehouse series.

#11 tenar

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:43 PM

We had exactly the same problem a few years ago.  DD is now 10 and is much more able to self-select appropriate reading material.

I found classics good because they tend to be written in more complex language but they also tend to have fewer confronting themes: very little teenage angst, for example.

DD read things like The Secret Garden, Pippi Longstocking, Charlotte's Web, 101 Dalmations, Half Magic.

She also went through the rainbow-flower-fairy-magic-whateveritis phase (excruciating books they are, but they are available written at different levels and since they are almost entirely plotless there is very little to be too old for a 5yo, IME).

Books both my girls have enjoyed early include Ivy and Bean series, The Princess In Black, Billie B Brown, Tashi books, the Magic Treehouse books,

I read her things like The Hobbit and Finn Family Moomintroll around that age.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by tenar, 11 September 2019 - 09:43 PM.

#12 LucyGoose

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:45 PM

Juliet nearly a Vet is a great series.

#13 Arthur or Martha

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:55 PM

Most people think of it as a TV series, but The little House on the Prairie series could be interesting for her.  Very easy to read, and a look at the past.
The Australian Girls books could be worth looking at.

#14 amdirel

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:56 PM

DD loved those rainbow magic fairy books at that age. They're fairly quick and easy, but there's about eleventy billion of them, so DD got a lot of value from them.

#15 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:58 PM

My 6yo reads sport / dance/ horseriding series. Theres one called netball gems obviously about a netball team, one book from the perspective of each player. One series is called Ballet stars.

Clementine Rose is another favourite.

For the love of god keep away from those Rainbow Magic Fairy books :rofl: Theres about 300 of them, all with virtually the same plot, which your child will explain to you in monotonous detail!

(Posted at same time as Amdirel :p )

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 11 September 2019 - 10:18 PM.

#16 **Xena**

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:58 PM

I was also going to suggest the Treehouse series.

For some great older books Pippi Longstocking and The Six Bullerby Children (also known as The Children of Noisy Village). I loved them at her age (and still to this day) :)

#17 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

View Post**Xena**, on 11 September 2019 - 09:58 PM, said:

I was also going to suggest the Treehouse series.

For some great older books Pippi Longstocking and The Six Bullerby Children (also known as The Children of Noisy Village). I loved them at her age (and still to this day) Posted Image

You have just reminded me to track down the Bullerby children. I loved them as a kid too :)

#18 CG123

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:09 PM

What about Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Charlotte’s Web, etc.?

ETA- oh she’s only 5yo... maybe in a couple of years...

Edited by CG123, 11 September 2019 - 11:10 PM.

#19 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:29 AM

My 5yo is enjoying having old fashioned books (my old favourites) read to her - Milly Molly Mandy, Ashley Kate, plus Roald Dahl (we are having a lot of fun with George’s Marvellous Medicine at the moment), the treehouse books and Juliet nearly a vet (I’ve learned lots about caring for animals too).

As a precocious reader myself I remember enjoying the secret garden, the little princess, and books of fables and fairy tales (some of which were quite gruesome) - probably when I was 6.

#20 AnythingGoes

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:09 AM

Some good series of chapter books with content good for that age: Toys Goes Out, Lady Lollipop, Anna Hibiscus, My Father's Dragon, Magic Treehouse (Ds loves these and there are a heap of them), Marge in Charge, Catwings.

#21 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:53 AM

Non fiction is also good.  DS likes Guinness book of records, double helix magazine (CSIRO)

#22 kadoodle

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:58 AM

The Alice Miranda series is great, too. May Gibbs’s gumnut babies if you want to get retro.

#23 two_ones

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:06 AM

How about "Babysitters Little Sister" series? I remember they were the first novel-type books I read around that age and I loved them!

I believe you can find them on Ebay and Amazon.

#24 kimasa

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:00 AM

The revamped Babysitters Club graphic novels are very cool by the way.

#25 Chelara

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:07 AM

At that age my daughter really liked the Judy Moody books, I used to read the roald dahl and Enid Blyton ones to her as there were still words and concepts she didn’t quite get this way I could explain and I enjoyed rereading them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.