Face book settings

16 replies to this topic

#1 My4beautifulboys

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:44 AM

For any of those that are familiar with Facebook and settings. I’m a member in a sporting club and a photo of me winning a prize was posted on Fb. Some of my friends, family have seen the post and commented on it. Even though they arnt members of the group. How do a stop it from being public. Is it the clubs settings or mine that need adjusting?

#2 IamtheMumma

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:50 AM

It is the club setting. You can ask them to change their settings for the photo (and any future ones of you).

#3 meljbau

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

Just ask the club to untag you in the photo and not link your name in the comments. That's the only way I can think of that they would have seen you, but I'm not an expert on FB. Someone else may know more.

Edited by meljbau, 12 September 2019 - 07:53 AM.

#4 laridae

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

They've posted it publicly and tagged you by the sounds of things? Just ask them not to post pictures of you. Or if you just don't want your friends seeing it, ask them not to tag you.
Possibly it appears in your timeline if you've allowed others to do that. I changed mine so no one can post in my timeline without approval.

Edited by laridae, 12 September 2019 - 07:54 AM.

#5 Nasty Poobah

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:54 AM

It'll be a public group and that's why they can see it.  Has the group tagged you in the photo? That would put it in your friends' newsfeed. You should be able to remove the tag.

Posts in closed (soon to be called private) groups can only be seen by the members of that group. If your sports club's group is to advertise the group then it'll be public. If it's for internal interaction between members then it'll generally be closed.

If it's actually a Facebook page rather than a group then it will be public.

It's not your settings.

#6 My4beautifulboys

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:06 AM

Alright thanks. I’ve just checked the post again and it looks like I’m not tagged in it. Which seems a bit strange how others can still see it. A family member commented on the post, then tagged me in comment. So I’m not sure how he saw the clubs post?
It sounds as though it’s the clubs settings then. And not mine.

#7 MarigoldMadge

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:06 AM

I've got mine set up that if I'm tagged in any photo, I have to approve it first before it appears on my timeline and is therefore visible to my friends.

#8 JRA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

If you commented on , and it is public they would have seen your like.

Our sporting club has a FB page, that is all public. Some of the teams in the club have their own groups, they are only visible to those in the group.

Is it their page, or a group, in which it was posted?

ETA: We ask people when they register if they are happy to have photos posted on website etc. And dont post photos of that persons team if they are not happy having them posted. It is too hard to check every photo of a team to see if the person is in the background.

Edited by JRA, 12 September 2019 - 08:18 AM.

#9 My4beautifulboys

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

Yes that must have been what it was. Some one wrote a comment to the photo, then I replied to it. It’s the sporting club own fb page it was posted on. So it looks like it’s their settings and not mine. I’m alright with it, but just found it a bit odd that they are not members or friend of the club, in yet they saw the post.

#10 lozoodle

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:49 AM

If you've commented on it, that's why they are seeing it.

Edited by lozoodle, 12 September 2019 - 08:50 AM.

#11 aprilrainatxmas

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

It's a bit of a warning to be careful what posts you 'interact' with.
My SIL had a disgusting post come through, she put an 'angry face' against it. Since she interacted with it, it then showed in her friend's feeds.

Best just to ignore or 'hide' stuff.

#12 hills mum bec

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:55 AM

I am always extremely wary of making comments on posts in public groups or pages on FB.  Many years ago I commented on a post in a public local community FB page and I ended up getting all these messages from FB friends that weren't in that group.  They were all nice messages of support but I was a bit freaked out at how many people had seen my comment when I thought it would only be the people that were actually in that group.

#13 My4beautifulboys

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

Yes I can understand that, i can see that it could also go the wrong way, especially if it’s public. That means anyone can interact by the sounds of it! Next time perhaps I’ll just like the comments instead of commenting on it. Does that mean it will be private then? Or is a Like enough to share with everyone? Thanks for enlightening me on Fb.

#14 aprilrainatxmas

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

A 'like' or any of the little faces is enough to share to your friends.

#15 joykey

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:36 PM

I know this is a tad creepy, but I think Facebook can just know your face as well. I once took part in a challenge that my gym had - they asked me if I'd post daily about my progress on their page. To start off they took a photo of me and made an introductory post.
They hadn't tagged me, but the post showed up in my feed when their posts never had before, and a large number of my friends had already liked it. The only connection I'd had with this post is that it was about me, with a photo of me, and I had liked the gym page weeks earlier.

#16 hills mum bec

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

View Postjoykey, on 12 September 2019 - 01:36 PM, said:

I know this is a tad creepy, but I think Facebook can just know your face as well. I once took part in a challenge that my gym had - they asked me if I'd post daily about my progress on their page. To start off they took a photo of me and made an introductory post.
They hadn't tagged me, but the post showed up in my feed when their posts never had before, and a large number of my friends had already liked it. The only connection I'd had with this post is that it was about me, with a photo of me, and I had liked the gym page weeks earlier.

Facebook definitely has some kind of face recognition.  My DD's sporting club posted a team photo on their page and I got a notification from FB saying that XYZ Club may have posted a photo of me with a link to review the photo.  It thought DD was me because a lot of my FB photos would have DD in them.

#17 robhat

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

If a photo is public and you even just 'like' it, your friends can see it. You don't have to be tagged necessarily, although yes, Facebook can recognise faces and sometimes tags people automatically so your club may have tagged you without meaning to. You can apparently switch this off though.

To some extent I think you can prevent this with your own settings. You need to make sure the people you are friends with are on a 'restricted' setting. You can customise this for each of your friends, but it does tend to apply to everything. So you can't easily stop Uncle Joe from seeing your sports team photo but still see the family reunion one Aunty Jean posted. You'd have to stop Uncle Joe from seeing pretty much everything. This is for tagging, so I'm not sure how it goes with likes, but I do have family members that I've restricted from seeing pretty much everything except the things I share as public. You can even prevent your friends from posting on your public posts.

So assuming your relative saw the picture because you 'liked' it, the only way you could prevent that is to not 'like' the picture or change your settings so that that relative basically can't see anything you post or are tagged in. Even then, I suspect they could still potentially see the photo, they may just not get notified about it in their timeline.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.