Buying a new BBQ - tell me about yours

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

Looking at getting a new BBQ
Probably needs to be bigger than a 2burner but doesn’t need a hood and I don’t want a huge hulking thing that takes up half the patio.
Mainly do sausages/steak/bacon and eggs etc, not needing to roast.
Looked at the Ziegler ones at the local bbq shop. Haven’t looked at Bunnings yet.  

Also, what annoys you about your current one?

Thanks!

:)

#2 BECZ

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:12 PM

DF hates how little normal flat plate area ours has.  It’s all grilling/griddle these days.  Mind you we bought ours about 7 years ago.  I keep telling him to go and buy an extra, totally flat plate, but he hasn’t bothered, just whinges about it each time it becomes an issue.  Mind you we don’t use it that much these days,  it I’m looking at buying a new outdoor setting, so hopefully we get more use out of it soon.

#3 literally nobody

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

We have just recently gotten a Weber. love everything about it!

#4 IamzFeralz

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

Also love my Weber too!

#5 dadwasathome

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

I didn't reply as our Weber 3 burner has a hood. But we can switch out half the grill bars for a flat plate too.

My only issue is that it sometimes isn't hot enough for searing compared to our previous BBQ.

Q: has anyone bothered buying the bluetooth enable temperature probe with it?

#6 purpleduck

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:58 PM

Yeah the heat is apparently an issue with Weber’s

#7 Moukmouk

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:25 PM

I love our Weber. Gets used a lot. Particularly good for fish as it keeps the smell outside. Our new renovation has the gas plumbed to the deck so we don’t have to use gas bottles anymore.

#8 IamOzgirl

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

I would go this.

I had a single burner (but hooded) bbq from Bunnings which was great!

But this is a bit bigger and no hood.

https://www.bunnings...g-legs_p3180888

#9 purpleduck

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:38 PM

IamOzgirl, on 12 September 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

I would go this.

I had a single burner (but hooded) bbq from Bunnings which was great!

But this is a bit bigger and no hood.

https://www.bunnings...g-legs_p3180888

I did think this but in the 4-burner version could work.

#10 xx1stxx

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:03 PM

We have a 'Heatlie'.
Complete flat plate, no grill.
2 burners which run the length of the plate opposed to front to back like most BBQ's.
Real thick solid stainless steel plate for even cooking.

Cost about $1000 but totally worth it in DP's eyes.

I also have a proper 'weber' kettle (like about 30 years old) for roasting.  Heat beads not gas.  Can't beat it.

#11 rosie28

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:09 PM

We have a Weber with the hood but use it as a regular BBQ open as well. No issues with heat and it makes amazing roast lamb too!

#12 Hands Up

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

We have a Ziegler and brown. It’s great. It’s half grill, half flat plate but DH bought an extra half flat plate for when he needs it

#13 Mollycoddle

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

View Postrosie28, on 12 September 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

We have a Weber with the hood but use it as a regular BBQ open as well. No issues with heat and it makes amazing roast lamb too!

I only ever use my little 2-burner with the hood up.  The hood is useful for keeping the dust off it when not in use if you don't have a BBQ cover.  I think mine's a Jumbuck.  My cousin has the one upthread with the fold-out legs, it's good too.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 13 September 2019 - 03:06 PM.

#14 Charli73

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

My DH has 3 BBQs... are you getting gas or coal? We have a 6 burner gas BBQ with a wok burner we rarely use but we wouldn’t go any smaller than that. A hood is essential

#15 Apple14

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

Webber!
Love ours, we take it camping and it lives on our deck taking up not much room. Is great for our family of 8.
We have the extra solid plate for pancakes.
Easy to use, easy to clean. Love love love it.

#16 monet

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:44 PM

We have the Ziegler and Brown triple grill.  Have no issue with using it as an open BBQ or with the hood down.  It replaced an older, smaller Weber and I love it.

#17 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

View PostApple14, on 13 September 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Webber!
Love ours, we take it camping and it lives on our deck taking up not much room. Is great for our family of 8.
We have the extra solid plate for pancakes.
Easy to use, easy to clean. Love love love it.

I didn't know about this extra solid plate.  Shall look into getting one!

#18 Quay11

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:13 PM

We got a Heatlie and love it :) Very easy to maintain and made in Australia. My husband too got sick of the grill and wanted a plate BBQ.  The local hockey club has used theirs for years and we wanted something small that would last.

So far so good :)

#19 purpleduck

Posted Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Ok, went back and looked at more bbqs with DH.
Leaning towards the simplicity of the Heatlie but balking at the price.

Anyone know if there is a cheaper type of heatlie? Or if they ever go on special???

ETA just found this gasmate bbq too - looks simple but a lot cheaper - https://www.outdoors...ASABEgIgTfD_BwE

Edited by purpleduck, Yesterday, 06:00 PM.

#20 WannabeMasterchef

Posted Today, 01:28 PM

View Postpurpleduck, on 14 September 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

Ok, went back and looked at more bbqs with DH.
Leaning towards the simplicity of the Heatlie but balking at the price.

Anyone know if there is a cheaper type of heatlie? Or if they ever go on special???

ETA just found this gasmate bbq too - looks simple but a lot cheaper - https://www.outdoors...ASABEgIgTfD_BwE

I replaced our bbq about a year ago.  I looked around a bit, and found that name brand bbqs dont seem to get hugely discounted. Sometimes you might get 10-15% off.

#21 aluminium

Posted Today, 01:41 PM

We have the Ziegler and Brown 2-burner with side-burner, we wish we'd bought a four burner. Otherwise, we love it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Alexa (1)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.