Kate The Making of a Queen (I thought of Lucrezia Borgia)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Freddie'sMum

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:08 PM

Just for LB .....

I was walking past the newsagent tonight - rushing from work to home - and the Australian Women's Weekly has Duchess Catherine on the cover with the headline "Kate - the making of a Queen" and in one of my very rare uncharitable moments, I had the following thoughts:

What exactly has the former Catherine Middleton done that deserves such attention and praise?

1. Marry well.
2. Have 3 kids.
3. Keep her figure.

She hasn't cured cancer.  She hasn't spent all her life researching technology that will save the planet.  She hasn't spent all her free time caring for the sick and the ill and the poor.  In fact, as far as my uncharitable mind can think - she's done next to sweet FA as far as I am concerned.

I can't think of anything newsworthy about this young woman.  I honestly can't.

I remember when Diana married Prince Charles and she was literally thrown into the deep end and she definitely earned her stripes - she emerged like a phoenix rising from the ashes of her broken marriage (she went into the marriage very damaged from her utterly rotten upper-class childhood) but she shook hands with AIDS patients without wearing gloves, she took her young children to McDonalds and homeless shelters, she gave them a much more rounder view of how life is for people who don't live in palaces and castles.

I think I have totally lost my love affair with the royal family.  Maybe because I am getting older and all I do see is the huge - and widening - inequality and inequity between the "haves" and the "have nots".  Maybe I am cynical and jaded because I personally know women who have been broken by trying to "do it all" - like work to keep a roof over your head and food on the table as well as look after 3 kids under 5 or take their elderly parents to numerous doctors appointments and never having enough money to pay all the bills this month or next month and the month after that ....

I know single mums whose husband left them when the baby was a newborn (even though he promised he wouldn't).  Another mum whose husband was earning hundreds of thousands of dollars and wouldn't buy their only child a pair of sports shoes from target.  I know another mum whose husband is in the military and has been away from the family for months and she keeps the wheels turning.

None of these ladies make the cover of a national magazine but this young woman does because of some weird belief that royals are better than the rest of us mere mortals and it turns out that some of them are a damn sight worse than the rest of us !

Vent over.

#2 But seriously

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostFreddie, on 12 September 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

Just for LB .....

I was walking past the newsagent tonight - rushing from work to home - and the Australian Women's Weekly has Duchess Catherine on the cover with the headline "Kate - the making of a Queen" and in one of my very rare uncharitable moments, I had the following thoughts:

What exactly has the former Catherine Middleton done that deserves such attention and praise?

1. Marry well.
2. Have 3 kids.
3. Keep her figure.

She hasn't cured cancer.  She hasn't spent all her life researching technology that will save the planet.  She hasn't spent all her free time caring for the sick and the ill and the poor.  In fact, as far as my uncharitable mind can think - she's done next to sweet FA as far as I am concerned.

I remember when Diana married Prince Charles and she was literally thrown into the deep end and she definitely earned her stripes - she emerged like a phoenix rising from the ashes of her broken marriage (she went into the marriage very damaged from her utterly rotten upper-class childhood) but she shook hands with AIDS patients without wearing gloves, she took her young children to McDonalds and homeless shelters, she gave them a much more rounder view of how life is for people who don't live in palaces and castles.

I think I have totally lost my love affair with the royal family.  Maybe because I am getting older and all I do see is the huge - and widening - inequality and inequity between the "haves" and the "have nots".  Maybe I am cynical and jaded because I personally know women who have been broken by trying to "do it all" - like work to keep a roof over your head and food on the table as well as look after 3 kids under 5 or take their elderly parents to numerous doctors appointments and never having enough money to pay all the bills this month or next month and the month after that ....

I know single mums whose husband left them when the baby was a newborn (even though he promised he wouldn't).  Another mum whose husband was earning hundreds of thousands of dollars and wouldn't buy their only child a pair of sports shoes from target.  I know another mum whose husband is in the military and has been away from the family for months and she keeps the wheels turning.

None of these ladies make the cover of a national magazine but this young woman does because of some weird belief that royals are better than the rest of us mere mortals and it turns out that some of them are a damn sight worse than the rest of us !

Vent over.

Love the vent. Kate is utterly ordinary. And the vast majority of royals are v ordinary. At least Princess Anne won events and her daughter is an Olympic medallist - achievements that are their own.

#3 qak

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:14 PM

View PostFreddie, on 12 September 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

That's the great thing about her!

#4 Nasty Poobah

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:14 PM

Someone new to EB would look at your thread title and wonder where you were going with that :;):

#5 Fennel Salad

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:15 PM

Ha! Same! I wondered what would LB think when I saw the cover, I knew she'd love it.

In my mind, I inserted the word "drag" in between "a" and "Queen"  ... and voila! A much more interesting story.

#6 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

hmm...now is this a trap? i won’t mention prince george...

she’s probably achieved what you - OP - and i and many on EB have achieved - a uni degree (or equivalent) - tick; partnered - tick. had kids - tick.

look - in a rare charitable moment i read an article - was possibly guardian (not the same journo as i posted in the other  thread) - it *might* even have been germaine greer - can you believe it - coming out in a kind if defence of her - she did a BA in art history (i think) - there’s this weird thing about royals that they can’t comment on portraits of them...so there was this portrait done of kate - and she wasn’t (according to etiquette) allowed to comment - the one thing she may have been qualified to talk about ...the one *interesting* thing we might ever hear her comment on...but stony, fake smiled silence....i think we can never know them, just what they stand for ...and, i don’t like what they stand for.

(superficially i do like the fashion though)

#7 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

View PostNasty Poobah, on 12 September 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

Someone new to EB would look at your thread title and wonder where you were going with that :;):

ha....i might have many things to say about Kate..don’t think shes a poisoner though!

#8 Oriental lily

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

I think that’s what I like about Kate . She is not pretending to be anything she is not .

It’s the media and the like that want to build up these woman up  than tear them down .

She is doing everything what a upper middle class woman in her social circle would do . Just under a microscope .

A good comparison to her ‘duties’ is prince Phillip .

Actually she is doing a better job because she keeps her foot firmly out of mouth lol .

But she is to support the future monarch . Create a good family and respect the institution which is the royal amity .

Dianna was crap at it .Thats  why she was so miserable .

And why she should could never be Queen  opposite Charles King .

Edited by Oriental lily, 12 September 2019 - 09:33 PM.

#9 Daphne27

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:58 AM

Look i agree she hasnt earned anything and totally agree with the qu about the purpose of royals.....but I dont think the comparison to diana is fair though. Diana did do good work, but quite a bit of the controversial stuff was after she had been a working royal for awhile. She had divorced etc.

Also kate has three kids. I know she has nannys and grandparents and that other people parent and take on the world, but i think having 3 young kids is hard.

I think a better test is what is she doing in 10 years. Is she still just swanning around gardening clubs or has there been some other good.?

I cant think of anything worse than the constant scrutiny/criticism. It would need to be a very strong person to survive that.

#10 Ellie bean

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

I don’t have a problem with her. She’s just a pretty girl who married a rich dude. She could have done that in the private sector, done even less work/ no public appearances whatsoever and copped a lot less flak. She seems like an involved mother, I’m not really comfortable criticising any mum of 3 small kids for not curing cancer.

#11 Chchgirl

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

View PostNasty Poobah, on 12 September 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

😁😁

#12 Bam1

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:15 AM

So OP you seem to dislike Kate just as much as Meghan who you practically called a gold digger, for full clarity please tell us that you are financially independent, that your DH is a tradie or postman and how you contribute to curing cancer.

I would not say your current uncharitable thoughts are very rare or even just rare though, you seem to express them quite regularly on here.

#13 Manicmum

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

She brings hope to people.

#14 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:47 AM

View PostManicmum, on 13 September 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

She brings hope to people.

does she though? (i might be missing a sarcasm font here)

#15 Mmmcheese

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

View PostOriental lily, on 12 September 2019 - 09:32 PM, said:

I think that’s what I like about Kate . She is not pretending to be anything she is not .

It’s the media and the like that want to build up these woman up  than tear them down .

She is doing everything what a upper middle class woman in her social circle would do . Just under a microscope .

A good comparison to her ‘duties’ is prince Phillip .

Actually she is doing a better job because she keeps her foot firmly out of mouth lol .

But she is to support the future monarch . Create a good family and respect the institution which is the royal amity .

Dianna was crap at it .Thats  why she was so miserable .

And why she should could never be Queen  opposite Charles King .

This is so true. While I'm sure Diana had many good points, she wasn't a 'good' wife of a future king. (Totally not something I could do either!  ETA... Not that anyone is asking ;) )

Edited by Mmmcheese, 13 September 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#16 seayork2002

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

People are interested in the royals which is why they are on glossy magazines etc.

same with other celebrities around fashion, sport, entertainment etc.

There are also science magazines with people on the covers who have created cures for diseases and other scientific discoveries - but how many 'normal' people but these? over the glossy ones?

I do not love or hate the royals but i have no desire to get rid of them.

I presume the media producers what the public wants not the other way around?

We hear lots about 'it was reported the royals did this and that' but how many of the facts are actually true?

#17 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 13 September 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

People are interested in the royals which is why they are on glossy magazines etc.

same with other celebrities around fashion, sport, entertainment etc.

There are also science magazines with people on the covers who have created cures for diseases and other scientific discoveries - but how many 'normal' people but these? over the glossy ones?

I do not love or hate the royals but i have no desire to get rid of them.

I presume the media producers what the public wants not the other way around?

We hear lots about 'it was reported the royals did this and that' but how many of the facts are actually true?

the media were ultimately right about diana and charles’s marriage - the affair with Camilla etc - Andrew and Fergie too. the little rifts and in fighting we see reported are likely concocted - but they would have their sources.

#18 Ellie bean

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:12 AM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 13 September 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

does she though? (i might be missing a sarcasm font here)
Hope that we commoners can also marry a rich man lol

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:33 AM

Charles married Diana when his heart belonged to someone else. Diana was always fighting an uphill battle with that - hard to be supportive  and create an acceptable domestic environment when your hubby is lusting after someone else and is reasonably indifferent to you, and his family expect you to suck it up.

In stark constrast, both William and Harry have married women they love. Much easier for a marriage to survive and flourish when both people are invested in it.

Much like many people who aren't royal.

#20 purplekitty

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

I dislike the cult like hysteria over Diana when she was alive but my goodness she was dished up a terrible situation right from the start.
A sacrificial lamb.

Good on her for breaking traditions and treading where others feared to tread and publicising unpopular causes.

#21 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:14 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 13 September 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

I dislike the cult like hysteria over Diana when she was alive but my goodness she was dished up a terrible situation right from the start.
A sacrificial lamb.

Good on her for breaking traditions and treading where others feared to tread and publicising unpopular causes.

i agree.

As you say, there’s always a danger of falling into an “adoration cult” of anyone. diana had her flaws. but she did fight the royals on many points - the Queen disliked Diana’s support of AIDS charities - but she stuck with it anyway because she knew it was important. maybe she wouldn’t have made a good wife of a king (whatever that means) but she probably would have made a great stand alone figurehead - unfortunately that wasn’t her role in the royal pecking order and Tradition Must Prevail. she was a thorn in their sides and i admire her for that.

#22 Romeo Void

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:23 PM

I quite like The Monarchy, I see them as a sort of living Art installation, so to my mind worth the money.  As for Kate, she plays her part...

#23 purplekitty

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

Bread and circuses.

#24 Thylacine

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

If you are judging worth by curing cancer and charitable contrbutions, pretty much all celebrities 'don't deserve' their fame and fortune. It may not be the way the world should be, but it's the way the world is. I think Kate is at least better deserving than anyone named Kardashian, or anyone whose job description is 'influencer'

#25 magic_marker

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Um. I think she's done more than William. All he did was got born and voila. Prince.

When l think of her, l think role model.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.