Badly edited books.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 rosie28

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

View PostJBH, on 14 September 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

Shantaram. A great yarn, but the writing was terribly distracting.

Agreed. It does rather go on.

#27 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:20 PM

View PostStartledFlamingo, on 14 September 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

Have you read any of the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fford. I can't remember which but in one of them the characters use unattributed dialogue to figure out who are real people v book characters- whether or not you can figure out who's speaking by the end.

I absolutely love the Thursday Next books! They're fantastic on so many levels.

Edited by Nasty Poobah, 14 September 2019 - 10:21 PM.

#28 Jingleflea

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:44 PM

I gave up on the Thursday Next books.
He was just too clever for his own good(and for my enjoyment of the books) frankly.

#29 archyandmehitabel

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:02 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 14 September 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

I read about ten pages of 50 Shades when it first came out and wondered how the hell anyone could get aroused by such bad writing! It is *meant* to be erotica, isn't it?

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

#30 EmmDasher

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:05 PM

View PostStartledFlamingo, on 14 September 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

Isobel Carmody's last book in the Obernewton series is the worst edited book I've ever read. Most of the book could be cut losing nothing at all, then it ends in a rush that does not match with the foretelling of the entire series.

Her final book was an unmitigated disaster. The penultimate book was barely any better. For bad editing as opposed to just a crap concept/book, it takes the cake.

#31 Meepy

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:21 PM

Diana Gabaldon's outlander series.  Great story but spent far too long on boring bits like the gathering.  Could have cut each book down.

#32 cvbn

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:55 PM

Matthew Reilly novels, some great ideas but the repeat of ALL the dragon names made me want to start redacting.

So
Much
Fighting.

#33 steppy

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:58 PM

Never read 50 Shades of Grey (unbearable) or the Robert Jordan fantasy series (The hair playing by the women will drive you mad)

Twilight wasn't amazing but it was okay. The final book of that series was jaw droppingly bad though.

Edited by steppy, 15 September 2019 - 12:04 AM.

#34 Caribou

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:43 AM

View PostMeepy, on 14 September 2019 - 11:21 PM, said:

Diana Gabaldon's outlander series.  Great story but spent far too long on boring bits like the gathering.  Could have cut each book down.

I agree it’s a great story, I admittedly gave up by the fifth book. I struggled with the slowness of the writing. I admit some people must like this, otherwise it wouldn’t be continuing like this. She posts excerpts of her book on FB, thankfully she’s on the last outlander book ‘go tell the bees I’m gone.’

#35 gracie1978

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

Constance Hall

She had the worst editor ever.

#36 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostJenflea, on 14 September 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

I gave up on the Thursday Next books.
He was just too clever for his own good(and for my enjoyment of the books) frankly.

I felt that way about the Goldilocks books he wrote. They just didn't work for me.

Edited by Nasty Poobah, 15 September 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#37 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

50 Shades - I read some of it while it was still Twilight. So badly edited.

Speaking of Twilight - that last book ... definition of bad everything.

I’m in two minds about Harry Potter 5. It is a bit long ... but it’s Harry! I like lots of Harry ...

#38 Amica

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:20 AM

Clan of the Cave Bear series.

The first one was tolerable. I persisted to the third book, only because everyone raved about them, and it was such an incredibly frustrating experience. By the second book I was skipping whole pages, and by the third, whole chapters. I didn't finish the third book. I was so angry.

So repetitive. I don't actually believe it was edited.

#39 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

View PostJBH, on 14 September 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

Shantaram. A great yarn, but the writing was terribly distracting.

I actually otganised Greg's first publicity tour for NZ when the book first came out published by Scribe.
I read that book 3 times, wrote a whole plot synopsis for the media as I knew no one would have time to read it.
Meeting Greg, wow, he's very charismatic and the book total reflects him as a person. Talking to him felt like talking to a guru, but thankfully he was less verbose talking to the media.
However I have not been brave enough to read his follow up as reviews say it's even more riddled with extra stuff. I think I remember the owner of Scribe daughter did the orginal edit and it was very difficult as it was Greg's baby and he didn't want any cuts. When it was picked up by the big publisher (was it Random or Penguin?) for paperback, part of the deal was no edits. I still remember the shock of seeing that massive hardback for the first time and freaking out about getting any media or reviewer to read it!

#40 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:41 AM

View Poststeppy, on 14 September 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

Never read 50 Shades of Grey (unbearable) or the Robert Jordan fantasy series (The hair playing by the women will drive you mad)

I had a great time working in the book and publishing industry. I did read Robert Jordan's first 2 books ( I really love fantasy and sci fi and was the buyer for that department at a major bookstore) but found it incredibly hard and boring. Then I got to go to dinner with the man (and Robert Jordan is a pen name) and his wife when he was on tour in NZ. Funny enough, no other bookseller staff member wanted to go, just 21 year old me along with his Penguin publicist. Was taken to a really fancy restaurant.
I got to talk to his wife and mentioned that I found it hard that there were little female characters in his first 2 books and she laughed. She said he was not very good at writing female characters and that for the remaining books she was stepping in to help him write them better. So that's the issue.

#41 Lifesgood

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:51 AM

View PostNasty Poobah, on 13 September 2019 - 09:35 PM, said:

Ironically I have a (slightly ironic) theory that what actually defines literary fiction is the absence of attributed dialogue.  Check out the Peter Temple novel that won the Miles Franklin. I had to annotate a couple of passages to work out who was saying what...
Agreed, it can require a couple of re-reads. That is Peter Temple's staccato speech style. It is intended to (and succeeds IMHO) add to the 'snappy' feel of the dialogue.

I adore his books.

#42 Mae55

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:10 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 14 September 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

Her final book was an unmitigated disaster. The penultimate book was barely any better. For bad editing as opposed to just a crap concept/book, it takes the cake.

The last book just gave the impression of something that was written and never even reread, let alone edited! So disappointing

#43 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 15 September 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Agreed, it can require a couple of re-reads. That is Peter Temple's staccato speech style. It is intended to (and succeeds IMHO) add to the 'snappy' feel of the dialogue.

I adore his books.

I love his books too, but the speech is generally more attributed in most of them.

I get that attributions impede the flow, but a couple of pages of almost monosyllabic dialogue with no attribution impedes the reader's understanding just a tad.

#44 maliwoo

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

I totally agree about the Clan of the Cave Bear series....
And everything written by Anne Rice.

#45 steppy

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 15 September 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

I had a great time working in the book and publishing industry. I did read Robert Jordan's first 2 books ( I really love fantasy and sci fi and was the buyer for that department at a major bookstore) but found it incredibly hard and boring. Then I got to go to dinner with the man (and Robert Jordan is a pen name) and his wife when he was on tour in NZ. Funny enough, no other bookseller staff member wanted to go, just 21 year old me along with his Penguin publicist. Was taken to a really fancy restaurant.
I got to talk to his wife and mentioned that I found it hard that there were little female characters in his first 2 books and she laughed. She said he was not very good at writing female characters and that for the remaining books she was stepping in to help him write them better. So that's the issue.

And the first 3 are way better than the other 7 or 9 or whatever it is. I plodded through them all. If she helped with the writing of women she must have stopped around book 5.

Harry Potter is generally okay except Order of the Phoenix - is that the one with Hermione and the ELF society? OH MY GOD. Just write a completely different book for all the people whinging about the elves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.