Climate strike reminder

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

Don't forget, this Friday is climate strike.

There are protests arranged in 100 places around Australia at around lunchtime on Friday.  If you can manage it and you want to add your voice, take a long lunch and go.  Take the afternoon off and go.  Take the day off and go.

Let's make some noise.  Let's let our kids know we care about their future.

#2 kadoodle

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:03 PM

I’m being nagged to go. Kids and signs and a support dog on the train; what could go wrong?

#3 Romeo Void

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:10 PM

Yup, my children are busy making signs as I type...

#4 BadCat

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:15 PM

Found the words for a sign in the lyrics of a favourite MCR song.

This planet's ours to defend
Ain't got no time to pretend
Don't *** around
This is our last chance

#5 DaLittleEd

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:43 PM

I have decided to go, as it is so important. However, I am really not sure how it will go with my 3yo, as she has been struggling recently with a lot of stuff (sensory, social). Here's hoping it will go well. Will probably only stay for half an hour due to not letting the kid get overwhelmed....

#6 BadCat

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

Sign made.  Looks awesome.  

Now I just have to convince DC2 to go.  DC1 and I will be there.

#7 petal71

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:09 PM

I am keen, but may not take DS. He gets overwhelmed and anxious easily - so I can imagine big placards of doom (which I think are completely needed) would be too much for him.

#8 NastyGal

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

My 2 DDs, 10 and 12, and I are going to the Melbourne rally - haven't made signs yet though, will be a project for this week.

#9 (feral)epg

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:18 PM

Spent the day making banners, printing T shirts and making badges with extinction rebellion - they are really the loveliest group of people :yes:
I think I'm actually more excited about School strike than Christmas.  
Can you believe that there are people who aren't going?

#10 Meepy

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:24 PM

Very proud, DD10 and DS14 are both really keen on going.  AEU is supporting but I can’t go, so DD will need to go with another family. More than half DS class are going-very engaged politically although they are cynical about the impact, they are still going.

#11 Chchgirl

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:40 PM

I'm going but don't know what to do, it's my first! I'm just going to roll up and go with the flow..

#12 SplashingRainbows

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:32 AM

I’d love to do. Alas I’m doing an exam. Who sets exams for Friday afternoon!!

#13 BadCat

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:56 AM

View PostChchgirl, on 16 September 2019 - 10:40 PM, said:

I'm going but don't know what to do, it's my first! I'm just going to roll up and go with the flow..

You don't have to do anything.  Be there, make up numbers.  Yell along with the chants if you want to.  Add your voice and make yourself heard as one among millions across the world.

Oh, and have fun.  I was a latecomer to protesting but I really enjoy it.  I love being out there and being a part of something.

#14 BadCat

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:00 AM

Today's the day.

And a big fat BOOOOOOO to all the people saying kids shouldn't be striking and they should be in school.

What are they going to learn in school today that is more important than learning that it is their right to speak out when they see the government doing the wrong thing?

#15 onetrick

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:04 AM

As a teacher- we were told different ways we could support our students if we couldnt go ourselves, so I have already given my year 12 class their holiday hw ane instead of fi fishing notes earlier in the week,we will do that today. Technically new content, but super easy and we have done it earlier with different topics (yay for overlapping content!).
I hope it is hugely successful and that it has an impact on people that can make the decisions :)
I dont want to teach academics (that's easy...) I want to teach good people :)

#16 MrsWidget

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

My kids are homeschooled but we’ll be at our regional one.

#17 **Xena**

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:48 AM

My eldest 3 are going. I'd like to go too but there's no way I am taking my toddler.

#18 **Xena**

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

Apparently striking for climate change is an unauthorised absence even if you call :lol:

#19 BadCat

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:58 AM

Oh no.  Unauthorised absence versus dead planet.  Tough choice.  :rofl:

#20 BusbyWilkes

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

View PostBadCat, on 20 September 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

Oh no.  Unauthorised absence versus dead planet.  Tough choice.  :rofl:

Have been told will have dentention the following week if absence is due to attending strike! (Public school too). Kids school unauthorised absence means they can't sit a test they will miss. Upper high school a 0 on a test can have consequences. Kid wants to go desperately, but is horribly anxious about school consequences.

Edited due to crappy spelling/autocorrect!

Edited by BusbyWilkes, 20 September 2019 - 09:29 AM.

#21 AliasMater

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:35 AM

Nothing planned in my area. No one collectively gives a sh*t about the environment, only mining. I live right on the reef.

Thanks all for your efforts in putting the pressure on.

#22 **Xena**

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:35 AM

View PostBusbyWilkes, on 20 September 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

Have been told will have dentention the following week if absence is due to attending strike! (Public school too). Kids school unauthorised absence means they can't sit a test they will miss. Upper high school a 0 on a test can have consequences. Kid wants to go desperately, but is horribly anxious about school consequences.

That's so crap. Teachers more than just about anyone should understand the importance of striking for action.

#23 BadCat

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:42 AM

View PostBusbyWilkes, on 20 September 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

Could you get away with writing them a sick note?  Surely they're feeling sick this morning...

#24 rainycat

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

Ours is at a ski resort, the kids have done their signs and are ready to go.

#25 dadwasathome

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

Plenty of kids currently heading to public transport from our local school.

DS16 has his last exam yesterday, so isnoff school anyway and about to head

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.