Removing wisdom teeth without private health insurance

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Moneypenny2014

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:35 AM

Hi all
My 17 y/o DD has to get all four of her wisdom teeth out and we dont have private health insurance.
We went and saw the oral surgeon and were quoted $2085 to have them removed in the chair in his surgery, however evidently the Dental Scheme that gives kids $1000 over 2 years cannot be used towards the cost.
Has anyone else had to pay for their children to have their wisdom teeth removed (without insurance) and how much did it cost and where did you go?
We are 1.5 hours south west of Sydney if that helps.
Thank you in advance
PS The surgeon was really lovely I just want to make sure there is not a cheaper way to do this as I am a single parent and it is a huge cost for me

#2 seayork2002

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:40 AM

Not sure if this helps but I have done a pay by month thing for DS's braces, no interest I just paid over 9 months.

#3 Chchgirl

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

My daughter has just turned 18, I was on the Gold coast but I was able to use some of the $1000 scheme for her to have a checkup,  clean and one wisdom tooth out in the chair - does it depend on the dentist?

#4 Mollycoddle

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

If you can at all avoid it, please don't make them have it done in the chair.  Unless there's twilight sedation, which is awesome :)

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:19 AM

Does she or your family have a health care card?

Back when I was studying, i got a health care card because i had a concession card, or something like that.  (It was mine, not a family one).  Having a health care card meant I got my wisdom teeth (and two extras) out for free at the royal dental hospital under a general.  The wait was about a year, but that was fine because they weren't bothering me much. They did a good job, havent had any issues since.

If she has a health care card now, or will be eligible once she is 18 for whatever reason (not sure of the requirements these days, but i think getting youth allowance lets you have one) Then i would just wait and get her to get herself on the wait list at the dental hospital.

(edit: Im in victoria)

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 17 September 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#6 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:24 AM

DH had all 4 removed in a public hospital by his dentist and it cost $2100 from memory.

#7 Moneypenny2014

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:32 AM

She’s not eligible for a health care card unfortunately.
I had mine out in a chair and it was a piece of cake - I felt nothing and had no bruising that is often a result of the clamps they put in your mouth when you’re in hospital under a general aesthetic.
I thought she could have used the money from the dental scheme so might look into other oral surgeons to check.

#8 Moukmouk

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

She should be able to use the CDBS medicare benefit to have teeth out in the dental surgery, even surgical extractions. You can't use the scheme to cover anything done in a hospital. The surgeon needs to be registered as a dentist as well as whatever surgical registration they have.
https://www1.health....ent/childdental

#9 nom_de_plume

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:48 PM

I had mine done as day surgery at a private hospital with no PHI. Was about $2000 out of pocket after Medicare rebates. All 4 of mine were impacted though so the chair wasn’t an option.

#10 seayork2002

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

View Postnom_de_plume, on 17 September 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

I had mine done as day surgery at a private hospital with no PHI. Was about $2000 out of pocket after Medicare rebates. All 4 of mine were impacted though so the chair wasn’t an option.

Exactly the same for me - but 15 years or so ago

#11 Team Awesome

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

I had mine out for about $350 in the chair using smile membership which I think was another $120. That also included X-rays, two fillings a temp cap and was done over three visits (one of mine was more complicated and partially impacted)

You said surgeon but also he’s happy to do them in the chair so assuming no complications or nerves impacted by the roots.

#12 Moneypenny2014

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

What is smile membership Team Awesome??

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

View Postnom_de_plume, on 17 September 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

That's about what our daughter's looking at.

Dentist helpfully told her that if she inherited these dodgy wisdom teeth off her father he should be paying. Cheeky.

EFS

Edited by born.a.girl, 17 September 2019 - 03:29 PM.

#14 laridae

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:00 AM

My dentist referred me to the public hospital to have mine out. No cost, but about a 2 year wait. But mine weren't causing me too much trouble so I could wait. I was an adult and no healthcare card.

#15 born.a.girl

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:09 AM

View Postlaridae, on 18 September 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

My dentist referred me to the public hospital to have mine out. No cost, but about a 2 year wait. But mine weren't causing me too much trouble so I could wait. I was an adult and no healthcare card.

Are you inVic?  When my daughter looked it up for the Dental Hospital, in order to have something like this done, she definitely had to have a HCC.

#16 laridae

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 18 September 2019 - 06:09 AM, said:

Are you inVic?  When my daughter looked it up for the Dental Hospital, in order to have something like this done, she definitely had to have a HCC.
No, Tas. We don't have a dental hospital,  it was just a regular public hospital.

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:02 AM

View Postlaridae, on 18 September 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

No, Tas. We don't have a dental hospital,  it was just a regular public hospital.

Ah, that may be why.  You definitely still have to be eligible for HCC when the work's done.   I'm annoyed my daughter didn't see them when she could - she had ideas of saving up the money to do it, which of course hasn't eventuated, and now she'd be further up the list, and still has a HCC.

#18 taki

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

Assuming that she is still at school, she would be eligible for public dental. The wait will depend on the urgency, pain etc. You should be able to get the first appt fairly quickly. I recommend you take OPG and letter stating needing removal. BTW, only medicare required for children, not HCC.
https://www.health.n...s/contacts.aspx

#19 laridae

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 18 September 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

Ah, that may be why.  You definitely still have to be eligible for HCC when the work's done.   I'm annoyed my daughter didn't see them when she could - she had ideas of saving up the money to do it, which of course hasn't eventuated, and now she'd be further up the list, and still has a HCC.
Not exactly sure how it worked. But it was a regular private dentist. She referred me to the private hospital for X-rays (which were also free), and from that she referred me to the maxillofacial surgeons at the public hospital. Mine weren't straightforward though, as they were only partially through.

#20 laridae

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

Looks like that can be done in Vic.
https://www.dhsv.org...ofacial-surgery

But only if it may be difficult.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

View Postlaridae, on 18 September 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

Not exactly sure how it worked. But it was a regular private dentist. She referred me to the private hospital for X-rays (which were also free), and from that she referred me to the maxillofacial surgeons at the public hospital. Mine weren't straightforward though, as they were only partially through.

Sorry, I meant to add 'in Vic'. Perhaps it's because we have got a dental hospital that the rules are a little different.

Hers are sideways, so bulges, partly exposed wisdom teeth that I suspect would involve a fair bit of cutting to get them out.

The dentist never suggested even considering in the chair, anywhere. Whether someone else would or not, I've no idea, I've just got the info from her.

#22 laridae

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:10 AM

Then have a look at that link I posted and see if your dentist will do a referral.

#23 born.a.girl

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:21 AM

View Postlaridae, on 18 September 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Then have a look at that link I posted and see if your dentist will do a referral.

Yes, she would qualify for that, but she has to go and see them in the first place. Then she still has to be holding a HCC when she reaches the top of the queue.  If she'd seen them at the time, she'd probably be there by now.

Frustrating, but she's mid twenties and she needs support in some areas of her life still, but I don't want to enable just 'putting off' behaviour by managing it for her.

#24 annodam

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:05 AM

My 18yo just got her 2 lower wisdom teeth out last Saturday, in the chair.  They were complex, growing horizontally & she was in immense pain.
None of her wisdom teeth have erupted yet but the top 2 (according to her OPG) seem to be coming through straight down so we will deal with them if they become an issue in the future.

Initially, we were told to get all 4 done at the one time from the Maxillofacial Surgeon but DD wasn't keen on going under.  Usually, if you get 4 done you need to go under.
My Dentist then referred us to another lovely Dentist who does complex wisdom teeth in the chair.
The procedure took an hour on the dot.
The charge was $800.00 but we have PHI so didn't have to pay any gap.

Years ago, I got all mine out at the Dental Hospital in Melbourne under GA, I had not long finished HS & had a HCC at the time so was done for free.

#25 laridae

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 18 September 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

Yes, she would qualify for that, but she has to go and see them in the first place. Then she still has to be holding a HCC when she reaches the top of the queue.  If she'd seen them at the time, she'd probably be there by now.

Frustrating, but she's mid twenties and she needs support in some areas of her life still, but I don't want to enable just 'putting off' behaviour by managing it for her.

Possibly, she would still have the HCC and I found it was the time from initial seeing to surgery being scheduled that took ages. Though it was a different state. Once she's been initially seen they may not have the HCC requirement for the surgery.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.