Updated post 66: Do you know the date of your last period if you aren't TTC?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Mose

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

So for context: we spent eleven years TTC, and I could always have told you the date, and usually time of day and where I was when I got it.

I am generally a very organised person, and my period has always been like clockwork.

But today, the doctor asked me in preparation for an ovarian scan to keep an eye on some dodgy history, and I had no idea other than "weeks not days or months".  

I know I topped up necessary supplies at the supermarket ten days ago, and I only shop once a fortnight, so I would guess that my period ended around 2-3 weeks ago and I wrote what I needed on the list then.

Doc wanted to know if I should do a pregnancy test, because "often when a woman doesn't know, it's because it has been a while, and we should check before you book the scan". I declined and said I would just wait until my next period to get an exact date and then book the scan (so they can time for desired uterine lining etc).

In all my years of TTC, I never imagined a day would come when I couldn't pinpoint my last period.

So, if you are not TTC, do you know?

Edited by Mose, 04 October 2019 - 05:18 PM.

#2 kimasa

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:14 PM

I'm on the pill so yes. I can just count backwards on the pack.

#3 Mose

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:20 PM

View Postkimasa, on 17 September 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

I'm on the pill so yes. I can just count backwards on the pack.

Oh hadn't thought of that.

I am on the "last used contraception 13 years ago and have no naturally conceived children" contraceptive program!

#4 Gonzy

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

Yes, I do but I use an app so short of that I would not likely know the exact date - especially as my cycles are erratic.

We are not actively TTC but spent 4 years TTC our youngest before turning to IVF, so I guess it's part habit with tracking and part wishful thinking that maybe the universe will provide an exceptionally unexpected and unlikely surprise.

#5 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

View PostMose, on 17 September 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

So, if you are not TTC, do you know?
Yes, I have always kept track of my periods, whether I was TTC or not.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 17 September 2019 - 02:23 PM.

#6 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:24 PM

Timely thread as I found myself unprepared this morning so had to make a mad dash to the chemist under pretences of “getting a coffee” :ninja:

#7 ali-song

I only know because my Fitbit tracks it (obviously I need to confirm that it’s predictions are correct/make corrections, would be a bit creepy if it could tell!).

#8 Apageintime

Nope no idea. I had to answer a Dr recently and went... couple of weeks ago I suppose

It comes when it comes and goes when it goes

#9 Team Awesome

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

I use an app due to it being irregular, my regular was 21 days long from 13-27 and anywhere from 24-89 days since then so I have certainly had times I’ve not known when my last period was if I wasn’t tracking it.

#10 purplekitty

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

Mine were like clockwork ,within a few hours,unless I was pregnant.
Easy to know.

#11 Sentient Puddle

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:27 PM

Hope all is ok Mose xxx

#12 Kallie88

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 17 September 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

Yes, I have always kept track of my periods, whether I was TTC or not.

Pretty much same, I don't think I did the few years when I was on the pill since it was on the packs, though I'd probably still find note of it on my calendar. I've usually put it on a calendar using a star * on the days i've got it, now I have apps

#13 Caribou

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:29 PM

I used a tracker but even without the app, I can clue in pretty well when AF is due. It’s not like I track it daily but when about 3 weeks passes I think hm due soo ? Check the app, and yep, usually just under a week to go. Couldn’t tel you on the spot the date, but I can say in about a week if really pushed.

#14 Ozquoll

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:30 PM

I usually know, because I don't want to get pregnant and I don't always want to use condoms either 😄.

#15 wilding

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

I use to take the pill and just skip, but now I track using period tracker on my phone. I usually have enough pads and a variety at that when it's not due to supply an army anyway :ph34r:

Hope it all works out how you want it to Mose.

#16 Mose

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

View PostSentient Puddle, on 17 September 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

Hope all is ok Mose xxx

Thank you. I have no reason to believe it isn't...but then I was asymptomatic when things were a little dodgy too, so have been advised to get a scan every couple of years.

#17 ~J_F~

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

Roughly but I can’t pinpoint an exact date.

#18 IamtheMumma

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

I have always kept track. I was thinking today I must be due shortly and yes the app says I am.

#19 Oriental lily

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

I have always had irregular periods since a teen , so never really got in a habit of tracking them , TTC was very frustrating . Ovulation came on a whim . Ages sometimes to spit that egg out lol .

Weirdly since I have been on Zoloft and had my anxiety a bit under control I have been much more regular .

Currently I know I am due in just under three weeks because that’s when we are flying to the USA and I was annoyed to discover I will get my period on the plane or not long after we reach there .

Great timing .

#20 seayork2002

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

When I as 18 or so I knew down to the second (no joke!)

Now I have no idea (44), it is about every 3 weeks i think

I have never TTC so just over time I just forgot

Edited by seayork2002, 17 September 2019 - 03:07 PM.

#21 IamOzgirl

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

Yep, always had some idea.

When I got my period my mum encouraged me to mark on a calender and keep track.

However I believe I am unusual. As I remember being stunned that friends didn't do the same.

I am also stunned this is the first time you were asked! I get asked regularly (even before TTC) but also stunned at Dr response too!

#22 Mose

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 17 September 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

Yep, always had some idea.

When I got my period my mum encouraged me to mark on a calender and keep track.

However I believe I am unusual. As I remember being stunned that friends didn't do the same.

I am also stunned this is the first time you were asked! I get asked regularly (even before TTC) but also stunned at Dr response too!

Not the first time I have been asked, but definitely the first time I haven't known the answer.

TTC for so many years did a real number on me, so I was interested to know whether it is something people keep track of generally or not.

#23 Lou-bags

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:09 PM

Yep. I use an app. I have irregular periods but my period comes 12-15 days post ovulation every time (and I have very obvious ovulation symptoms).

We don’t use any contraception so it’s important to know where I am in a cycle 😊

#24 Sunshine streaming

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:10 PM

I do, use a period tracker app as I wanted to correlate mood/physical symptoms with my cycle. It is really useful as one heads into late 40's.

#25 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:10 PM

I still mark it on my wall calendar!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.