C-section & hospital help?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ollie83

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

With my first cesarean my husband was able to stay over night with us and I literally could not get out of bed yet he was a massive help.

This time my only family who could help will be overseas, my husband will need to stay with our daughter.

The only thing I’m really scared of is what happens when your alone & cant get up to tend to baby? Will the nurses be extra available? Any tips?

Edited by Ollie83, 17 September 2019 - 02:55 PM.

#2 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

See if you can be booked as last of the day, like 7pm or such. Then you will be back in your room by 9pm, bubs has first feed and hopefully goes to sleep.
Then hopefully bubs doesn't wake until 6am or so ( and night shift is often quiet so staff will be happy to help) and your legs will be back to normal and they will get you out of bed.
Would that work or do you need a day surgery for school hours?

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:12 PM

I couldn't get out of bed for three days (post Caesar complications) and although my husband was around, he couldn't stay overnight, and was half running my business during the day.

I found there was no shortage of nurses coming to help. They did ask if I wanted her in the night nursery first night (I was non compos on drugs anyway, and being woken regularly for blood tests so may not be 'typical'.

If they have one, you could ask for the baby to be in the night nursery and be brought to you for feeds.  I believe some places have done away with them, this was a couple of decades ago.

#4 linen_and_lace

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

Hi OP, I’m in hospital right now recovering from my c section. Second baby and DH has been in as much as he can but is also looking after our DD so can’t stay the nights with me like last time.
The nurses/midwives here have been incredibly helpful and accomodating despite acknowledging that they are busy and understaffed (public hospital) no one has made me feel like a nuisance or that they don’t have time or willingness to help. I had a fainting episode today (overdid it) and they were right in my case sorting me out. I do have to buzz a bit and sometimes wait a little while to be seen...make sure you try to keep on top of your pain meds and buzz before you really need them. I find night are quieter - and that’s usually when I need more help - so the nurses have been more readily available then which is a blessing.
Good luck OP, I’m sure you will be fine. X

#5 Ollie83

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

View Postlinen_and_lace, on 17 September 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

Hi OP, I’m in hospital right now recovering from my c section. Second baby and DH has been in as much as he can but is also looking after our DD so can’t stay the nights with me like last time.
The nurses/midwives here have been incredibly helpful and accomodating despite acknowledging that they are busy and understaffed (public hospital) no one has made me feel like a nuisance or that they don’t have time or willingness to help. I had a fainting episode today (overdid it) and they were right in my case sorting me out. I do have to buzz a bit and sometimes wait a little while to be seen...make sure you try to keep on top of your pain meds and buzz before you really need them. I find night are quieter - and that’s usually when I need more help - so the nurses have been more readily available then which is a blessing.
Good luck OP, I’m sure you will be fine. X

Congratulations on your beautiful new baby! That’s wonderful to hear the staff have been very supportive and attentive.

My DD was great during the day and a nightmare at night time so I’m hoping this new baby is calmer over night?!

Unfortunately it’ll be a public hospital in a small regional capital so I don’t have a lot of say in times etc but I’ll aim for morning as DD will have care and DH can be there all day & then have DD overnight. It’s tiny the nursery they have is for sick babies, DD went in there for a few hours and it takes a midwife away from the ward so it’s not an option unfortunately for just sleep. They like to room you together for bonding and also the reality of how it’s going to be at home with a newborn and no help on tap.

When I had DD for some reason there was a baby boom and they were sooooooo busy, I had a private room and DH there so we pretty much only saw staff for essential things. Hopefully giving birth at different time of year it might be a bit quieter??

#6 rosie28

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:09 PM

I had two nights by myself last time, as my husband was with our son. I just called the midwives and they assisted with whatever I needed.

#7 Mands09

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

I was in this situation twice with baby 2 and baby 3. Nurses were virtually non existent with baby number 2 so I ended up just grabbing him out of the bassinet myself - this works if the bassinet is positioned as close to the bed as possible and the rail of the bed is down. Just ask the midwives to wrap the baby in their ultra firm wrapping technique.

#8 gracie1978

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

I'm organizing a friend roster to stay with me.

#9 MrsLexiK

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

Having had 2 csections if a friend asked me to look after their little one for a couple of nights while they were in hospital (or stay a night in hospital) I’d do it. A friend snuck their oldest in to stay overnight.

#10 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

I didn't have anyone stay over night for either of my c sections and I was fine. Nurses checked regularly while I was stuck in bed and were on call for anything else. And once I could feel my legs etc I was ok doing it myself. I did have fairly easy recoveries though.

I kept the bassinet within arms reach and just moved really slowly.

The midwives will be very used to needing to help mums after c sections. Some hospitals will be better than others but most will be fairly well on top post op care.

I did find the midwives didn't check on me as much when I had visitors, where as when I was on my own they helped more so you may find of you're on your own more this time that you do see more of the staff.

#11 **Xena**

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:01 PM

I've had 5 c-sections and my husband has never been able to stay the night. I either had the bassinet close and was able to lift bub out myself or I rang my buzzer. The midwives were very good about helping me :) They came in fairly often to check my BP and temp etc anyway :)

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:20 PM

Have just seen this post.
In the public system it is unusual for the partner to stay if in shared accommodation and there is never an issue getting help.
Staff are there 24/7 whether it be public or private.
They do the rounds and then you simply press the buzzer when you need them.

I had a little chuckle where up thread someone suggested it is quieter in a maternity ward at night. Less staff and equal amounts of work meant IME that is not true.

Babies deliver at night and babies do not sleep at night. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.