Menstrual blood on TV - OK or not?

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:41 AM

I haven't seen the ad in question, but the comments against it made me laugh.

Personally, I think it's a great thing, especially for DS14.  DD15 is quite open about her periods, which DH manages to cope with...... and I think it's important that our sons also see this as just a part of life, just in case they end up with a female partner, or female friends, work colleagues, employees.....

https://www.abc.net....bra-ad/11521530

Complaints about the ad included that it was "distasteful", "unnecessary", "offensive and inappropriate", "disturbing" and "not appropriate for children".

One complainant said, "Bodily secretions shouldn't be shown on TV ads".

Others were outraged the commercial was shown on TV after 7:00pm, saying that children may see the ad and ask their parents about periods.

"I am absolutely appalled that Libra has chosen when I was to talk to my seven-year-old little girl about periods," wrote one viewer.

"The images portrayed in the ad are disgusting and demeaning to women," wrote another.

"Showing girls bleeding is wrong at any time of the day," a further complainant said.

#2 Tokra

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

I've got no problem with it myself. It's a normal part of life and I don't see why it still needs to be taboo in this day and age!

If someone is uncomfortable with it, then they need to look at themselves and ask why.

If you are not ready to talk to your child about it then simply tell them that it's something you will talk about when they are a bit older. Not that difficult!

#3 CallMeFeral

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

I found it confronting, but I think it's good. I think there's a lot of stuff done under the name of 'privacy' that is actually about creating shame, and the less of that the better.

#4 purplekitty

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

I've seen it and immediately said to my husband  'was that menstrual blood or did I imagine it?'.
How times have changed from girls throwing a beachball on the beach to advertise menstrual products.
I have no problem with it.

Actually just advertising menstrual products caused comment when I was young.

#5 Lunafreya

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

I think we need to see more bodily fluids. Everyone has them in one way or another.

Having a child made me more tolerant of them as I have to do the cleaning up!

I rather a no fuss attitude, it seems to be healthier. This sort of attitude was good when DS was in hospital and puking and peeing as it would upset him. Keeping on the "That's OK, we'll just clean it up and it'll be all gone" attitude went a long way to helping his self-esteem for recovery.

Also, it would maybe prevent the strange attitudes some men have towards periods. It's normal, don't make such a big deal out of it.

#6 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

i don’t have a problem with it, it’s what happens to women and girls....there should be no shame in it. i’m sure i’ve seen a bloodied knee before in a commercial for  bandaids ...

#7 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

I didn't find it confronting, upsetting or offensive. Then again, I don't think of menstruation as some kind of secret hocus-pocus thing that magically happens either.

I thought the ad was fine.

#8 Lunafreya

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

I rather like the American ads with the full-moon party. :)

#9 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

Is menstrual blood readily distinguished from other blood?

I’m cool with it.

#10 Lunafreya

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

Menstrual blood can have clots in it.  And there's the distinctive salty, fishy smell

Edited by Lunafreya, 18 September 2019 - 12:06 PM.

#11 purplekitty

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

Bethlehem Babe, on 18 September 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

I’m cool with it.
Uterine tissue,vaginal cells,bacteria,fungal cells...

#12 Mrs Zee

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

I'm not surprised that people complain because I've heard all sorts of stupid comments about year 5&6 kids being spoken to about periods during personal development at school. 🙄

The more shame is removed from perfectly natural, normal stuff, the better.

#13 Sandra

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:12 PM

Because showing  blue blood was better ok?   All these complainers will have watched some other scene on tv showing blood..but link it to  natural event and it becomes the distasteful because it is a  woman's body? No wonder the world is a messed up place.

#14 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:14 PM

Bethlehem Babe, on 18 September 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

I’m cool with it.
well, technically it's the combination of blood, the lining of the uterus, some vaginal mucus etc. It's not simply "regular" blood. It can have clots and it has slightly different consistency/viscosity to blood. But we all call it blood anyway.

#15 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:16 PM

I don't really care either way particularly but I am not sure why we need to a demonstration on something that we all have? and I am sure even men know how it happens so I don't see the point of it?

same as I don't need to see the inside of a jar a peanut butter on an ad to know what a jar saying peanut butter has in it

#16 JomoMum

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

Not offensive at all.

Bodily fluids in the context of a sexual act are different, IMO, to bodily fluids pertaining to the normal female body.

We advertise deodorant for sweating, which as a bodily secretion is pretty unpleasant when you think about it!

#17 71Cath

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

I'm very squeamish about blood, but I think it's great to see it on TV like this.  Remove the stigma and shame.  I'm all for it.

#18 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:28 PM

seayork2002, on 18 September 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

I don't really care either way particularly but I am not sure why we need to a demonstration on something that we all have? and I am sure even men know how it happens so I don't see the point of it?

same as I don't need to see the inside of a jar a peanut butter on an ad to know what a jar saying peanut butter has in it
usually when advertising pads or tampons, the manufacturers want to demonstrate absorbency and reliability.

And I think there are more men out there than you realise that know very little about periods. They just know women get them, it's blood from between their legs, happens roughly once a month and that might be all they know. I have been stunned at how little some men know!

#19 TheGreenSheep

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

I don't like the ads. I have a medical background so am completely comfy with all things excreted.

I personally don't want to see it on tv.

It made no difference to the occupants of my house whether or not they see menstrual blood to know what menstrual blood is and how we menstruate monthly and use sanitary products.

Also many people faint at the sight of blood, accidents, graphic scenes. Its an involuntary human response. Not everyone is primed for ads with blood. Some people, male and female recoil.

#20 rainne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:33 PM

I think I'm fine with it. I'm certainly very open with my daughters about the reality of it all, there's no "how very dare they" from me. The more openness about periods, the better.

That said, I don't think I need to see incontinence pads advertised with yellow urine. Or nappies with actual poo. I definitely do not need to see actual vomit if you're advertising gastrolyte.

So I feel like, couldn't they all just stick to the blue fluid concept if they need to demonstrate that this particular absorbent product does in fact absorb liquid?

#21 rainne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

YodaTheWrinkledOne, on 18 September 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

I think there are more men out there than you realise that know very little about periods. They just know women get them, it's blood from between their legs, happens roughly once a month and that might be all they know. I have been stunned at how little some men know!

I'd much rather watch an advert where men ask women questions about their periods! That could work really well. You know, the whole "can't you just hold it in until it's more convenient" stuff.

#22 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:35 PM

YodaTheWrinkledOne, on 18 September 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

usually when advertising pads or tampons, the manufacturers want to demonstrate absorbency and reliability.

And I think there are more men out there than you realise that know very little about periods. They just know women get them, it's blood from between their legs, happens roughly once a month and that might be all they know. I have been stunned at how little some men know!

But I don't remember any situation I have been in with my period that is like the ad?

But then again I do think they created the add deliberately to get people to talk about the ad, they get more advertising that way then the ad itself

If they wanted to show it for scientific purposes then they could have done it in a lab showing just the facts

#23 Cimbom

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:36 PM

It’s funny that we can have images on our screens of war zones, terrorist attacks, famine and disease and people getting shot, stabbed or attacked in assorted movies but menstrual blood is a problem

#24 PizzaPlease

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:37 PM

Just looked it up and watched it, what a cute ad!

Anyone legitimately offended by it clearly has very few serious problems and if your children are old enough understand the ad and have not been told about periods then I think that might be the real problem.

#25 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:38 PM

Cimbom, on 18 September 2019 - 12:36 PM, said:

It’s funny that we can have images on our screens of war zones, terrorist attacks, famine and disease and people getting shot, stabbed or attacked in assorted movies but menstrual blood is a problem

But are there actual products being advertised with what you have mentioned? - news is different

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.