8yo tiredness

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:07 AM

Just curious whether this is just a normal 8yo getting near end of term thing or something I should investigate further in case its low iron or something.

DD has dyslexia and low muscle tone so she does get more tired than your average kid with a school day. We have been doing OT and getting her into a lot of sports activities that help a lot with building up her muscles and shes been doing much better in school. She also has some stomach issues which are being treated.

She goes to bed at 8pm and sleeps til 7am which is a good amount of sleep for her age group.

Lately she has been saying shes really tired though, eg saying she was too tired to walk to the shops after school. The shop is about 1km away.  It hasn't been an issue previously.

#2 mayahlb

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

Both my kids are in the cranky bear tiredness spot at this point in term. Both kids napped half the weekend and have said they are tired (I can also see the bags under their eyes).

If it doesn't seem normal maybe a check up might be good. But I'd likely stick it out this week and see how they are. School holidays are coming up so that should help with tiredness levels.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:29 AM

Agree with Maya.

Just adding Does she snore or anything? Just wondering if her sleep is quality or if something is interfering with it.

#4 Jenflea

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

How's her eating? Does she get a decent amount of red meat and leafy greens like spinach etc for iron?

#5 BornToLove

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

DD was diagnosed with low iron about a year ago. Tiredness was one of her biggest symptoms and like you I wasn’t sure if it was just end of term exhaustion or something more.

I ended up taking DD to the GP for something else, a lingering cough. During the visit i mentioned the tiredness and DD being easily fatigued. The GP advised that they would like a blood test done to check iron levels as they suspect DD’s iron is low. Sure enough it was. DD has been taking supplements since. Her levels have been steadily increasing but her diet is still poor so the vitamins help fill the gap.

Anyways my advice would be to take her in a have a check up. It could be just this point in the term, but a check up won’t hurt.

#6 JJJ80

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:35 PM

Going through the same thing with my DD who is 8. Doc suspects allergies. But yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of it is end of term tiredness too!

#7 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

On a different track how is she travelling emotionally?

We took DS to the DR at a similar age as he was also exhausted and the DR immediately began questioning if he was being bullied or anxious. We discounted it at the time and it was only several years later we all realised how low he really was.

#8 JoanJett

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:05 PM

The other thing to keep in mind is a sleep disorder, particularly given her low muscle tone.  Sleep is about quality, not just quantity.  If her tiredness doesn't improve with a break over the holidays, and her iron levels are ok and no other physical issues are identified, it might be worth thinking about a sleep study.

#9 Twinmum+2

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

We have just had DS1 (12yrs) at the dentist, who told us that even though his tonsils and adenoids were removed a few years ago he might have trouble sleeping still because of a habit of breathing through his mouth that started back before the operation.  He also has dark circles under his eyes which she said is venous pooling which can happen with the same issue.  

Does your DD have any issues like this?

#10 NastyGal

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:39 PM

My 10 yo DD was tired all the time, a blood test showed iron levels of 8. She's been on iron supplements for three months now and is a different child - she actually dances around the house when getting ready for school now, instead of starting to cry the minute I woke her in the morning.

#11 Ivy Ivy

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

Iron deficiency is incredibly common in young kids.

My daughter (then 8) and son (then 5) were both found to be iron deficient at the start of this year, and both eat meat, usually red, nightly.  In fact they're essentially carnivores and won't touch veges.  A few months of ferro-liquid and a few blood tests later, and they are now more energetic.

WannabeMasterChef, my then 8 y o daughter had exactly the same symptoms - too tired to walk to the shops or go to the park.  She just sort of flaked after not much.  I put it down to all sorts of things including tired from school and end of term and all the extra-curriculars etc, before the GP finally ordered the iron test.  Thank god for GPs.

#12 sunnies

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

With low muscle tone, lethargy and stomach issues has she been tested for coeliac?

#13 lizzzard

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:44 AM

Gosh this thread has really started me thinking- I assumed because DS eats meat he couldn’t be iron deficient but maybe I will get his levels checked- he has been really exhausted lately too.

#14 SplashingRainbows

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:10 AM

View Postsunnies, on 19 September 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

With low muscle tone, lethargy and stomach issues has she been tested for coeliac?

This! Or other gastrointestinal disorders.

It sounds very much like low iron to me and I’d be following up medically.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.