How does this go? FLUFF :)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Liz Lemon

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:42 AM

Late 70s/early 80s childhood in Melbourne.

How does the rest of this playground rhyme go?

All I can remember is something like this:

“Tight squeeze, cool breeze”

And

“Crack an egg, on your head, brrrrrr”

All while scratching fingers down someone’s back and then squeezing and blowing on the back of their neck.

End result the person gets goosebumps and a shiver :)

(I googled but the results seem to be American and not what I remember. But how interesting that such playground games seem to cross countries ...)

#2 Riotproof

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

I remember something about slithering snakes.

#3 Mooples

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:47 AM

I say ...

Dot dot dot
Line line
Spiders crawling up your spine
Cool breeze tight squeeze
Now you’ve got the shiverees

With my two kids now but I do remember the egg crack now you’ve mentioned it but I don’t know how it fit in.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:48 AM

I don't remember this one, I think I spent a lot of time trying to play elastics and doing the string thing with your hand while playing with my yoyo (not a euphonism) and controlling a hula hoop whilst eating samboys and drinking those triangle drink thing whisy overseeing the King/Queen handball game flashing my knickers hanging upside down on the momkey bars

#5 Liz Lemon

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

Lolz Seayork. I did most of those things too. Elastics! Is that still a thing?

Ahhh the triangle icy pole drink things. Sunny boys and Razzs?

I remember we were all convinced that if you found yellow writing inside one you would win a heap of money or something. Or possibly just more sunny boys and razzs.

#6 Solsa

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:01 PM

My son enjoys this...

A dot and a dash
A dash and a dot
A curly wurly question mark (all of the above, written on the back)
Blood running up, Blood running down (tickling up and down arms)
Repeat above line (I think)
Cool breeze (blow on back of neck)
Tight squeeze (gentle squeeze to back of the neck)
Crack on the head and soon you'll freeze!

#7 Ozquoll

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:01 PM

seayork2002, on 20 September 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

I don't remember this one, I think I spent a lot of time trying to play elastics and doing the string thing with your hand while playing with my yoyo (not a euphonism)
It should be! 😂😂😂

#8 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:03 PM

Spiders running up, spiders running down
Spiders running up, spiders running down
Stab him in the back till the blood pours down
Stab him in the back till the blood pours down
Tight squeeze
Cool breeze
Crack an egg and you will freeze!

That was the kiwi version anyway :lol:

#9 *Andi*

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

Did it start with train tracks up and down your back?

#10 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

Liz Lemon, on 20 September 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

Lolz Seayork. I did most of those things too. Elastics! Is that still a thing?

Ahhh the triangle icy pole drink things. Sunny boys and Razzs?

I remember we were all convinced that if you found yellow writing inside one you would win a heap of money or something. Or possibly just more sunny boys and razzs.

we were crazy with elastics when i was in primary - the entire playground was taken up with elastic and girls chanting -

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales - inside, outside, inside - scales (scales was when you jumped directly on to the elastic).

i don’t know if it’s still a thing....i don’t see kids playing it at my son’s school. handball is huge.

#11 lazycritter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

So you start by drawing an x on the back of a person then go up the spine.

Say:
"
"X marks the spot.
Dot, dash, dot,  dash, dot, dot dot.

"
Then imitate a spider with your hand crawling up your back from the lower back to the neck again while saying :

"Spider crawling up your back,  bite you on the neck!" (pinch neck lightly)

"Blood streaming down your arm"  run your fingertips lightly down the person's am

Then go back up to the neck and squeeze gently then blow gently on ear while saying:

"tight squeeze, cool breeze"

And the person's skin should prickle/Get goose bumps.

Edited because autocorrect

Edited by lazycritter, 20 September 2019 - 12:12 PM.

#12 watergirl

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:11 PM

Draw a snake on your back (make snake shape down back with hand)

Put two eyes (tap with two fingers)

Paint it black (make painting motion up and down back)

Tight squeeze (squeeze shoulders)

Crack an egg (Tap fist on head)

Make you freeze (Run fingers down head neck like egg running down)

:-) :-)

#13 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:11 PM

lazycritter, on 20 September 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

So you start by drawing an x on the back of a person then go up the spine.

"
X marks the spot.
Dot, dash, dot,  dash, dot, dot dot.

"
Then imitate a spider with your hand crawling up your back from the lower back to the neck again while saying :

"Spider crawling up your back,  bite you on the neck!" (pinch neck lightly)

"Blood streaming down your arm"  run your fingertips lightly down the person's am

Then go back up to the neck and squeeze gently them now gently on ear while saying:

"tight squeeze, cool breeze"

And the person's skin should prickle/Get goose bumps.

i don’t recall that one....i do recall something vaguely similar....the premise was a bugs picnic or something....the person doing it to you would start at your wrist, and they would say “ants are walking up the path” (which was your arm) and they would kind of pinch you a bit as they did it..end result being you were left with this long red mark along your arm which was the bugs pathway.....weird i know.

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 20 September 2019 - 12:13 PM.

#14 lazycritter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:14 PM

Lucrezia Borgia, on 20 September 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

i don’t recall that one....i do recall something vaguely similar....the premise was a bugs picnic or something....the person doing it to you would start at your wrist, and they would say “ants are walking up the path” (which was your arm) and they would kind of pinch you a bit as they didn’t it..end result being you were left with this long red mark along your arm which was the bugs pathway.....weird i know.

Not heard of the ant one either.

I'm actually wondering if the spider one is why I have arachnophobia

#15 Mollyksy

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:16 PM

Lucrezia Borgia, on 20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

we were crazy with elastics when i was in primary - the entire playground was taken up with elastic and girls chanting -

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales - inside, outside, inside - scales (scales was when you jumped directly on to the elastic).

i don’t know if it’s still a thing....i don’t see kids playing it at my son’s school. handball is huge.

I did that rhyme but we said "inside outside donkeys tails"... Made no sense! I used to do it at home by myself using two chairs! Loved elastics.

#16 lazycritter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

We said
England,  Ireland,  Scotland,  France.

But Wales makes much more sense.

#17 marple

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

MIne is

Going on a treasure hunt X marks the spot ( circles then an x on their back)
Dot dash dot dash dot dot dot ( Do on back)
Great big hairy spider comes crawling up your back and BITES you on the neck ( self-explanatory)
Bllooooood ruuunnns down ( gentle downward motions on back
Crack an egg upon your head ( clap then run fingers down )
Cool breeze ( blow on neck)
Tight squeeze ( gentle squeeze on neck )
And now you've got the shivers.

My DH is hilarious with this , he gets massive goosebumps the minute I start.

#18 Liz Lemon

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:25 PM

Solsa, on 20 September 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

My son enjoys this...

A dot and a dash
A dash and a dot
A curly wurly question mark (all of the above, written on the back)
Blood running up, Blood running down (tickling up and down arms)
Repeat above line (I think)
Tight squeeze (gentle squeeze to back of the neck)
Crack on the head and soon you'll freeze!

Hah! So many different versions but this is the one closest to what I remember. There was definitely the question mark and the blood runs up and down thing for me.

No spiders or snakes (or stabbings!) in the one we used to do :)

#19 Mollycoddle

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:37 PM

Nope, never heard of that one!

I love people drawing on my back.  I use reverse psychology to get my son to do it, I tell him he can write on my back but not do any swear words.  Of course he finds that hilarious so he will write them and ask me to guess what they are lol.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

Mollycoddle, on 20 September 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

Nope, never heard of that one!

I love people drawing on my back.  I use reverse psychology to get my son to do it, I tell him he can write on my back but not do any swear words.  Of course he finds that hilarious so he will write them and ask me to guess what they are lol.

I should try this one!, I am trying to find ways for DS to do this and to play with my hair.

He twigged on my reverse psychology when he was about 3/4 sadly

#21 seayork2002

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:41 PM

Lucrezia Borgia, on 20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

Same I don't think they do elastics any more - hand ball is massive though

#22 Lady Monteagle

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

I am loving the variations and the memories.  I had watergirl's version of the "snake" on the back, plus also the "going on a treasure hunt" with "blood running UP, blood running DOWN".  It always got me how weird the egg-cracking-on-head felt.  

Loved elastics too - with friends, at home with chairs, or with one friend and the other end looped around a pole so it was triangular rather than four-sided.  We said
England Ireland Scotland Wales
Inside outside inside ON!

We also had a giant skipping rope, looong and heavy, with one girl at either end, and one or many jumping in the middle, to various rhymes, none of which I can remember now.  Group tricks such as the girl at the back jumping around the others to the front of the jumping pack.  

And 'stuck in the mud'!  Kind of a chasing game where you escape being tigged by 'hiding' under the legs of someone who has been tigged and is thus obliged to stand still with legs astride for this purpose... ???? OK made sense at the time.

I love hearing my kids' versions now of the various intricate rules of handball.  

And I was very sad when DS2 stopped being interested in playing hairdresser on me.

#23 seayork2002

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:45 PM

I forgot about skipping ropes - probably because I was a one jump, wait 20mins then another jump type skipper.

I was too bone idle for anything more energetic than that

#24 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

Mollyksy, on 20 September 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

I did that rhyme but we said "inside outside donkeys tails"... Made no sense! I used to do it at home by myself using two chairs! Loved elastics.

yep - so did I! i loved it. we were obsessed- with it.

it’s weird though - when i was in primary - before my parents divorced - i grew up in north epping - and elastics was massive - all neighbourhood kids would play it, and it was huge at my school - which was a fair way away at croydon. my cousins lived in the Shire and we would spend most holidays with them - and elastics wasn’t really a thing. they all played this game called 44 Save All - which was kind of hide and seek but there was always a telegraph pole or a fence or something that was designated “home” and if anyone who was hiding could run to that and touch it without the person who was “in” catching you, you would save all the other hiders and the person who was “in” was “in again. i was “in” a lot ....

#25 Ozquoll

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:53 PM

Our version was England Ireland Scotland Wales, Inside outside Puppy dog's tails.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.