Plastic free toilet brushes etc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:07 PM

So we need a new toilet brush and I feel completely ashamed to say it really didn't occur to me until recently that using plastic bristled brushes (and also any microfibre/synthetic cloths) are contributing to plastic going into our water systems.

Therefore I am trying to make small changes which include (NB still researching so would love any extra links):
- buying a plastic free toilet brush like this - https://www.biome.co...ilet-brush.html
- using cotton cloths for washing up once we have gone through our rather big supply of currently random mainly-synthetic cloths
- buying the compostable bags at the supermarket for our regular rubbish bin liners
- dish brush like this: https://www.biome.co...e-bristle-.html (and can I say how frickin' amazing it is now so much cheaper to buy - $6.95 AND you can get replacement heads)

What else have you swapped in your home that has been affordable and plastic free and actually worked well?

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

Great effort, purpleduck.  I've wondered about the toilet brushes, too.   They've been plastic since I can remember, and that's way back to the fifties.  I console myself that at least that one's an infrequent visitor to landfill. Would prefer a container for the brush,must admit.  I guess I could get a pot without holes to put it in.

As for cleaning cloths: we have cleaned out the houses of three older people in the last four years.  We have enough rags to see us out. After use they go into the compost, if they're cotton.

We use random bags for the bin, and if we don't have one, we just put the local paper in the bottom and it goes into the bin loose.   We do have dogs and cats, though, so the bags their dog food comes in last a week, each, given how little we send to landfill.

Still got the plastic dish scrubber though, so will probably get a few of the biome ones - know a few people who'd love them as gifts, too.

ETA: urk, we're being watched, Biome just came up as a suggested site on my Facebook feed.  I liked them anyway, it will be a good reminder.

Edited by born.a.girl, 20 September 2019 - 05:02 PM.

#3 purplekitty

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:18 PM

I have a silicone one which I don't think will shed but handle and the container is till plastic.
Joseph Joseph.

#4 purpleduck

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:29 PM

BAG - yeah, I’m thinking nice ceramic pot plant pot??

I’m just so stoked that the prices I have seen so far aren’t ridiculously high, I can actually afford to buy some! And again, love that you can buy replacement heads for the dish brush

ETA I am very wary of finding bamboo brushes etc at Kmart etc as they say bamboo but they don’t say plastic free, so often the handle may be bamboo but there could be plastic coating, plastic bristles etc

Edited by purpleduck, 20 September 2019 - 06:34 PM.

#5 OrangeSprout

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:47 PM

https://shopau.norwe...t-detail/244757

Does have a plastic handle though.
I have one and love it.

https://sabco.com.au...toilet-set.html

No bristles at all on the Sabco one

#6 purpleduck

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

A few more goodies from the Biome website

https://www.biome.co...ular-mouth.html
I have always wanted a steel pump pack thingy. Hate the plastic ones that break all the time

Another toilet  brush with holder
https://www.biome.co...with-stand.html

#7 spr_maiden

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:55 PM

The coconut fibre scrubbers (rectangle piece, not brush) are awesome.  Happy we switched, as they actually do a better job on pots etc than plastic scrubbers.  And last really well.

I'll be getting the plastic free toilet brush when ours needs to go, thanks OP.

#8 #mocha

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:01 PM

I use a Woden dish scrubber.  I hang it on a hook on the wall behind the toilet.  I have to say hanging the toilet brush is s game changer! It really doesn’t drip or smell and I no longer have to deal with toilet water in the container.

#9 born.a.girl

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:36 PM

View Postpurpleduck, on 20 September 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

BAG - yeah, I’m thinking nice ceramic pot plant pot??

I’m just so stoked that the prices I have seen so far aren’t ridiculously high, I can actually afford to buy some! And again, love that you can buy replacement heads for the dish brush

ETA I am very wary of finding bamboo brushes etc at Kmart etc as they say bamboo but they don’t say plastic free, so often the handle may be bamboo but there could be plastic coating, plastic bristles etc

I've been getting their advertising on EB now. :)

They do actually have one with a holder, a bit of an eye watering price, but we were given $100 as a Christmas present, I'm wondering how it would go down if we told them we spent it on a toilet brush. :)

You can get replacement brushes for $25 - they're a bit fancier than the one you linked to, but goes up under the lip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.