Christmas shopping

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 gabbigirl

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

Just thought i would start a shopping thread for Christmas, maybe we can inspire each other for christmas gifts.

I am buying for the following people this year:

My mum - photobook of her life.
Sister - bio/enviro  packaging items
Brother - no idea!
11 yo Dd - no idea
9 yo DD no idea
Husband = not sure
best friends family - cook book and olive oil -  i think

#2 turbulent

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

Great idea,I will be following for ideas.

I have 2 young boys who are hard to shop for due to special needs and very fixed interests

#3 Ivy Ivy

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

One memorable Xmas soon after having my 1st child I bought every adult the same thing.  So, every male friend and fa in law and bro in law and any other male relative got a black leather belt.  And every female friend and relative got a piece of oven cookware, a nice ceramic baking dish or something.  One trip to Myer for everything.  All my adult shopping done very fast.  I loved it.

#4 PuddingPlease

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:45 PM

I'm always surprised to discover how many families do presents for adults. I don't think that's ever really been done in my family.

#5 gracie1978

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:46 PM

DS is sorted, bought a variety of things he will love from Kmart

Bought DP one of those 'new' Sega master systems.  Can't wait to play Alex kid...

Told all my friends and siblings I'm not buying them or their kids anything.

Not sure what to buy my parents.  

Daycare teachers are getting vouchers
Other people are getting chocolates eg piano teacher

#6 MsLaurie

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

Both my girls have near-Christmas birthdays so it’s a double whammy. Not sure which gifts for which occasion, and not sure what’s From is and what’s from Santa but currently thinking-
Miss5 - dolls house & accessories; larger scooter or perhaps roller skates; non-fiction books on space or dinosaurs or similar (She’s suddenly addicted to a lift-the-flap book on the human body so hopefully something along those lines); lego of some sort.

Miss1 - something to ride/push around, her own set of wooden blocks; a decorative doll

Nephew 4mos - something bright and noisy because I have some gift payback coming to my brother 😂

#7 littlepickle

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:39 PM

This year is a ‘handmade’ gift for everyone. I don’t have to make the item myself but I am hoping to purchase from others who have made them - think markets, etsy etc...
So far:
My mum : reusable make up removal pads (Etsy)
My dad: will be a hanging plant wall system - just looking for a recycled wood one.
My sister: a pot plant stand ordered from a tradie that makes them: wooden bases with metal legs.
In laws (variety of them) homemade lemon cordial, jams, pickles and mustard.
Teenage family members - silver rings I bougt at a ‘make it’ market.
DD (16) I am having a local jewellery store make a silver anklet
DD (14) still lookingbut have bought a couple of funky shirts so far.

Trying to reduce the amount of waste we create at Christmas as well as support small local businesses

#8 just2ofus

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

Great idea!

Nephew, 2.5yrs - scooter ramp
Niece 5.5yrs - Smiggle lunch box, drink bottle, snack pots & school bag for big school
Niece 7 - Smiggle Gift voucher

DP - BBQ

DS 9 - scooter, NRL throwing nets, new vans (shoes), water pistol kickboard for the pool, sleeping bag for camping, Nerf Target 🎯, voucher for Time Zone, possibly a Garmin watch

#9 lizzzard

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:53 PM

All you planners impress me!! My kids have told me what they want so that’s the only reason they’re sorted.
DS11- gaming equipment, swell drink bottle, bedroom furnishings (new bedspread and storage)
DD13-horse riding gear, bedroom decor (maybe a new bed, a beanbag, pin board and floor lamp)

#10 123ChristmasTree

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

View Postturbulent, on 20 September 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

Great idea,I will be following for ideas.

I have 2 young boys who are hard to shop for due to special needs and very fixed interests

I am very lucky that my ASD son gets fixated interests on a particular toy and speaks of f nothing else through November December.

The other child very hard to please.

#11 Santa Paws

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:42 AM

No idea for DH yet.

5 year old DD
A Fitbit Ace 2.
2 x Bluey books.
A limited edition Christmas Care Bear.
A bamboo cutlery set in its own carry pouch, so she can use that instead of single use plastic ones when we go out.

#12 K.heather

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:48 AM

DD 13 and 14 Pandora birth stone rings.
DS 7 twelve volt ride on motorbike.
DD 4 & DS 3 swing set.

#13 Hands Up

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:25 AM

DS1 (five)
LEGO of some kind
Book
Transformer
Some school stuff perhaps? New water bottle etc.?
A crane construction set thingy

DS2
Pretty much the same.....

DH
No clue

Niece and nephew
Clothes, book, small toy each

Secret Santa for all the adults in my family, so something good for $100.

Secret Santa for work generally around $25 so something good for that.

That’s it!

#14 Thylacine

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

View PostPizzaPlease, on 20 September 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

I'm always surprised to discover how many families do presents for adults. I don't think that's ever really been done in my family.

We didn't for years. But DS is the only child on one side of the family and one of just 3 on the other side. I got a bit sick of Christmas being an occasion where he is showered in gifts by all the adults but never actually gives any to them. So last year we decided that all the adults would get a cheap but practical present which DS could hand to them. They were mostly socks or keep cups. We'll do the same this year too.

No idea what I will get DS this year. He already has so much stuff! I'll ask him a bit closer to the date what he would like. Also I'll ask our OT if she has any suggestions for things he needs, probably get him some colouring/activity books, some practical stuff like clothes or school supplies...

#15 BadCat

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

Me - I have already ordered a shedload of pop vinyls.  Might also buy some band merch.

Kid 1 - probably some Marvel DVDs and other random bits and pieces

Kid 2 - not a clue

Mum - no idea.  It's not like she needs or wants anything.  I might just suggest we skip it altogether.  She usually throws us all a bit of cash which we do nothing with anyway.  And I usually buy her something she doesn't need or particularly want.  Seems like a big fat waste of money and effort to me.

Everybody else - nothing.

The ex is giving each of the kids an expensive VR rig.  I'm half expecting him to ask me to chip in.  The answer will be no.   But it does mean I can probably give Kid 2 some games for it.  So that's probably christmas sorted right there.

#16 casime

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:45 AM

Over the last few years I've dramatically cut down the number of people we buy for.  For the friends I have with kids, we have a 'day out' somewhere and pay for ourselves.  Reduces 'stuff' and waste.  Another friend and I buy theatre tickets for each other at some point during the year and go together.  

For the gifts I do need to get, I've set myself a goal of making as much as possible.  I have a Cricut, so personalised items.  I've ordered all of the blanks I need, and plan on getting them all done these holidays.

I've already done all of the gifts for my students (a personalised bag tag and drink bottle).  Just need to make the gift bags and tags.  

DS is definitely getting a watch, and not sure what else.  He really wants a Switch, but I'd prefer to get him something that is not technology.  I think he's starting to outgrow his bike, so that might be the way to go.  

For his birthday, which is just a few days after Christmas, we'll be away somewhere that has big toys stores with Lego at good prices.  I'm taking him into one of the stores and letting him pick what he wants (up to a certain value lol!).  That way he has some to play with while we are away as well.  

The only other big one I need to buy is my 85 year old relative.  She absolutely does not need anything else, so I will either get theatre tickets for us, or she goes to the movies every fortnight, so I might get her a gift card to cover those for the next six months.

#17 BeAwesome

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:52 AM

Deleted original post as I've totally changed my list.  This is birthdays and Christmas, as they're both at the end of the year

DD11: Tickets to Chicago (the musical),  clothes, Brendon Urie Pop, mini backpack, books.  Guitar amp/mic setup, TKD belt holder, TKD related t-shirt, calligraphy brush pens, one of those circle things that stick to the back of your phone (this has been repeatedly requested, I don't know the correct name).

DD8: New quilt cover/bean bag/blankets, a Lego set, cat socks, cat microphone, beading kit.  Tumble track, Pokemon Sword & Shield game, Purfect Pet Cat, cheer shirt, çat crimes' game, Pavement stuff (nail polish, glitter, lip gloss etc).

Edited by BeAwesome, 09 November 2019 - 08:17 AM.

#18 Thylacine

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:03 AM

Also - not a present but this year I'm going to buy some Christmas fabric from Spotlight to wrap presents in instead of wrapping paper. Not sure whether it would be better to sew it into bag shapes or just hem it and tie string around the present.

#19 BadCat

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostBeAwesome, on 21 September 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

BadCat - I assume the Brendon Urie Pop Vinyl that was released yesterday is on that list.  My daughter saw it and put it on hers.

:yes:   Getting one for me and one for Kid 1.  Limited edition so already ordered.

Edited by BadCat, 21 September 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#20 kimasa

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

I found an LOL drink bottle reduced to clear for $2 in Big W so DD officially has one stocking stuffer.

I better not forget that it's on the top shelf of my wardrobe.

I was thinking if getting DD a proper sketch book this year. She's obsessed with drawing and her grade 6 buddy carries one everywhere because she's working on a graphic novel series and DD thinks it's the coolest thing that she has one.

#21 sahmie

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

DH - nothing, unless I see something pop up I know he’d love. Same goes for me. We don’t do presents for each other unless there’s something we want that we wouldn’t normally treat ourselves with.

My mum - a couple of “face” plant pots from a home decor store she loves.

MIL - new handbag.

FIL - couple of Tommy Hilfiger tees.

Nephew 13 - iTunes gift card
Niece 10 - iTunes gift card
Niece 9 - smiggle stuff
Nephew 8 - build it yourself robo dinosaur
Nephew 8 - build it yourself robo helicopter
Niece 5 - smiggle stuff
Nephew 4 months - either Grimms 7 friends in 7 cups, or Debresk tractor

DD 9 - iPad (school requirement next year), some ostheimer and grimms pieces.

DD 8 - iPad (school requirement next year), some ostheimer and grimms pieces.

DD2 - pikler triangle with two ramps and play cube.

The kids teachers - Coles/Myer gift cards.

Depending on who we’re spending Christmas with, there might be a $50 Kris Kringle gift to buy for another adult as well, but knowing my fam, they’ll just put in a request for a gift card.

#22 sahmie

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

View PostThylacine, on 21 September 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

Also - not a present but this year I'm going to buy some Christmas fabric from Spotlight to wrap presents in instead of wrapping paper. Not sure whether it would be better to sew it into bag shapes or just hem it and tie string around the present.

You could hem and leave an opening, thread ribbon through the hem, and gather it to close.

#23 Threetwoone

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:03 PM

My older daughter wants vans and another ear piercing. The younger on horse themed lego and the boy an xbox. The only problem is I try to spend equal or near on their presents and the xbox is far more expensive.

#24 PuddingPlease

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

View PostThreetwoone, on 30 September 2019 - 10:03 PM, said:

My older daughter wants vans and another ear piercing. The younger on horse themed lego and the boy an xbox. The only problem is I try to spend equal or near on their presents and the xbox is far more expensive.

Could you get him something of equivalent value to the others and then get the xbox as a family present? I'd imagine everyone might want a go on it anyway.

#25 Threetwoone

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:42 PM

Pizzaplease. I thought about that but the others aren't interested  😐

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

sahmie

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.