Shift working single parents, are you exhausted?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anon039

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

For those of you who are shift workers as well as single parents, do you get exhausted?
I’ve got 100% care and this has been me in the last few months. I feel it’s getting worse but I believe my weight gain and minimal exercise is the biggest contributor to this. Laziness is the main reason this has occurred as well as comfort eating. I don’t have any physical issues and my iron levels etc are all good. Carrying around all this extra weight is not helping so obviously that’s my number one priority. I believe that another part of it is the mental exhaustion to being the only one responsible for everything. All finances, school, activities etc.
What has helped you to get back on track?
Is this a common thing?

#2 casime

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:43 PM

I'm not a shift worker, but I do work full time as a teacher.  I'm the sole parent to my son.  Self care is definitely the first thing to go on the backburner, and I'm usually so tired that taking off my makeup is about as much as I can handle.  I'm carrying more weight than I would like.  I have recently bought a treadmill and have put it right next to my bed so that I wake up and see it straight away.  I wake up 30 minutes earlier and get onto the treadmill.  It's not much, but at least 30 minutes activity is better than nothing to get me started.   I lost 16 kgs doing keto diet last year, but then had a lot of work issues and I'm definitely an emotional eater so put about half of that back on.  Last time I was on it, I did a lot of meal prep so that things were ready, rather than rely on takeout or convenience foods, and I would make all of my lunches for the week on Sunday afternoon, so that they were right there, and less temptation to sneak out at lunchtime for some food.   Good luck, and try and remember you don't have to do everything, you just have to do enough.  Taking one step in caring for yourself is important, then you can add things as you get more motivated.

#3 sarahec

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

I’m a single parent who has kids 100 percent of time. I can’t work much as there’s no childcare that suits shift work!! I only work two days a week.

#4 IamtheMumma

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:54 PM

Yes. I'm always tired when doing shift work. When I went on extended leave, people started commenting on how young I looked and how energetic I seemed. I enjoyed it for about 3 months but then I gave birth and the energy flew out the window.

#5 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

Im not a single parent but I worked shift work before kids and that on its own was enough to make me tired. I sympathise greatly for any parents that do it especially lone parents!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.