Second hand children’s clothes at school fetes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Grrrumbles

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:36 PM

I went to a school fete today that I have been attending for years. I have got a lot of clothes for the kids there in the past.

Today I asked where the stall was and was met with quite an emotional response that they are not doing it any more. Something about one less shipping container of stuff.

I get that people bring in lots of stuff that is in poor condition and it can be hard to find what you are looking for in mountains of clothing but reusing outgrown clothing is a great way of cutting down on new purchases.

Is there a way to do it so that it reduces waste and makes money?

The op shops near me have hardly any older boys clothing, I have had much better luck at fetes. I have a girl and a boy so try to buy gender neutral when I can for parkas and the like but can’t reuse much between the two.

#2 Nasty Teens

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:38 PM

Locally we have bss sites on Facebook dedicated to uniforms for local schools.

#3 TrixieBelden

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:46 PM

I’m not sure. We mostly swapped amongst a small group of friends - I was old and slow to procreate so benefited from friends who gave me bags of stuff for different ages and I’ve passed some of that on to others.

It worked well amongst friends because nobody was the kind of twit who expects people to want badly stained or damaged clothes.  It’s harder to control that as the group gets bigger and more anonymous I think.

We did once get given this velour top with glitter writing on it that I didn’t find appropriate for a child or indeed our cat to wear but mostly the stuff has been great.

#4 Grrrumbles

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:53 PM

I get a fair bit of hand me downs for my youngest but I don’t know many people with boys older than my son.

I also pick up stuff second hand that I wouldn’t be prepared to pay full price for - like a Minecraft creeper hoodie or branded sports wear. This particular fete was a good source of Kathmandu gear.

#5 Elsegundo

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:57 PM

We have had some great buys - good quality hoodies and raincoats etc. I think there is some crap donated though. I was buying bags of stuff at the end to sort and send to a local charity but had to throw out heaps last time so stopped doing it. Things with stains that wouldn't come out or rips that were very hard to fix.

#6 luke's mummu

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:20 PM

Does your area have a local “pay it forward” site on Facebook? I quite often pick up second hand kids clothes for free on it. I give away other stuff, after 2 boys most of our clothes are trashed

#7 Hands Up

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

Our local church runs a fabulous second hand fete once a year. The volunteers go through the donations carefully and it’s all beautifully organised on racks by size etc. I don’t know how much they have to throw out though. I got a bag full of clothes, country road etc. for $24. About 8-10 items. But they struggled to sell it all to the point they had to do a second and third session the following week. I think some people just want new stuff. Weird.

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:52 PM

I find the hand me downs stop looking neat after about size 0, unless they are more formal type clothing.

Especially with my own two boys, they wesr their clothes to the desth virtually - i send the cotton stuff to lifeline rags, its all they are useful for.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 21 September 2019 - 08:52 PM.

#9 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

I agree with PP - when my girls were younger I remember there were few op shop clothes in size 2 & 3!  

Ive bought stuff from op shops and later realised there were stains or holes so I am pretty careful checking stuff before I donate it.

#10 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:35 PM

View PostHands Up, on 21 September 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

. I think some people just want new stuff. Weird.

I do. I rarely shop in op shops now
After so long of having ill fitting clothes that were ok from op shops cos I had no choice, I now have clothes I like and feel good in.
I could only do that by buying new. I'm a hard size and picky with what I like the look of.

I chuck bags of clothes on Gumtree for 10 to 20 depending how big the bag is, if it don't sell in a month, I toss it out.
Local op shop is overflowing and i believe tied to the religious private hospital in town, which honestly puts me off giving them anything.
I won't store to transport to the city, too much effort

#11 Just Jack

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

Toss it out??

Why not put it up for free if it hasn't sold? Someone will take it.

Ps i have got great second hand clothes from school fetes!

#12 ipsee

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:08 AM

My kids are tall and go through heaps of clothes as they grow.  I also give away barely worn stuff.  Fetes near me still do kids clothes, but not adult as it didnt sell. Ive got great ski jackets from fetes too.

#13 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:54 AM

View PostJust Jack, on 21 September 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

Toss it out??

Why not put it up for free if it hasn't sold? Someone will take it.

Cos if im being bothered to list it, wait round for people, store it, i want cash.
I wont just put it out front for free, thats an invitation for people to come snooping on the property round here

#14 José

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:31 AM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 21 September 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

I find the hand me downs stop looking neat after about size 0, unless they are more formal type clothing.

my kid grows like crazy. and i tend to buy what i consider good quality clothing. he has clothes he's grown out of that are still in excellent condition.  im talking about size 6.

#15 kimasa

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

There's a community centre near me doing a kids clothing swap next weekend I think. They seem to be becoming more common, I've seen a few of them advertised lately.

I've never been to one, DD is the middle cousin of 3 girls so she gets and gives easily, but I've heard good things from people who have been.

#16 null

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:08 AM

Our school does a clothes swap every 6 months or so. They also hold a toy swap and book swap too. These events are free and there is no obligation to bring something to swap - you can take what you need even if you don't have anything to swap. It is easy and I am glad to know that our clothes will go to someone who will use them.

#17 nom_de_plume

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

I have been given many hand me down clothes and toys from friends that mostly just get passed along to the next friend that has a child of the same age or size.

I also agree that once kids hit preschool, a lot of clothing gets trashed with paint, dirt or rips and doesn’t make it to the hand me down stage.

For anything branded in good condition we have a local(ish) kids secondhand store. They only accept seasonal items, but for every item you donate you get 50% off another. It’s less time consuming than BSS sites or fetes, and you’re not going to get stuffed around or ripped off as you can see and try on the clothes before buying.

#18 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

Having been involved with an op shop, they probably
receive far more unsellable stuff than incredible finds. Ours was a dumping ground for people who couldn’t be bothered to sort their stuff and dispose of it themselves.

I give school uniforms to either the secondhand uniform shop at school or hand them down to friends. I usually hand down outgrown clothes to my nieces and nephew or other friends. We’ve received a lot of hand-me-downs from friends as well.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 22 September 2019 - 09:38 AM.

#19 Chocolate Addict

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

Baby and kids markets are popular for selling second hand clothes. Doesn't cost much to set up a stall and loads of people go expecting a bargain.

I either give my stuff to friends or donate it to Diabetes Victoria for their Savers shops.

Our local Food Bank also has a clothes section and they take some donations.

#20 Gumbette

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

Our school stopped selling kids clothing this yr too.  I have no idea why - apparently the kids used clothing stall was one of their biggest earners. Parents used to line up at 8 am just to clean out the stall!  It’s a private school so there were A LOT of kids Ralph Lauren bargains to be had.

#21 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:38 PM

View Postkimasa, on 22 September 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

There's a community centre near me doing a kids clothing swap next weekend I think. They seem to be becoming more common, I've seen a few of them advertised lately.

That would be awesome! DS is a really long baby so I have heaps of stuff hes never worn and Im needing size 0 -1 earlier than I expected.

#22 Holidayromp

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:43 AM

I tend to avoid children’s clothing stalls at school fetes.  Most of the stuff is either heavily faded, got piling, stained or nothing no one I know would want to wear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.